EV chargers funded by Motability to end soon?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #179073 Reply
    kbfern

We have a VW ID4 on order which we are expecting in the next month or so which we ordered back in Sept 2021. At the time we were going to try to get an EV charger installed under motability but as they only do chargers supplied via BP Pulse (for VW buyers) and having read all the bad reports decided against it.

We called Motability today for something else and also mentioned the chargers provided under the OZEV scheme as we are aware that scheme is ending at the end of the month. We asked them what would be happening to chargers provided by them when ordering a new EV. They said that as far as they know no more EV chargers will be provided free once the grant system ends.

So it looks like anyone who wants an EV and wants a home charge point after 1st April will have to fund it for themselves.

If anyone has a chargepoint on order right now make sure it’s installed by the end March other wise you may be in for a shock if what Motability has said to me today is correct.

Motability told us anyone that already has one on order is being prioritised over new applicants so as to meet the deadline.

How this will effect future EV sales as far as motability customers is concerned I don’t know.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #179075 Reply
    Jojoe

It seems Motability are in the process of removing every benefit they can without stopping supplying vehicles. Hand controls last year was a big one for us. So now, when we go electric, we’ll have to pay for hand controls and a charger. Time to write to the minister in charge of Motability!

#179127 Reply
    NanasRob71
    Participant

It seems Motability are in the process of removing every benefit they can without stopping supplying vehicles. Hand controls last year was a big one for us. So now, when we go electric, we’ll have to pay for hand controls and a charger. Time to write to the minister in charge of Motability!

I was surprised that Motability are now asking for contributions for hand controls, too.

But, just as a small point of balance: I’ve been using Motability for nearly 25 years, and ‘back in the good old days’ (as so many want us to believe), I had to pay full price for my simple push-pull hand controls. £500 was about average.

Not only that, Motability required that you had these removed before handing the car back. That was a massive pain. In my instance I had to get a friend to book a day off work, add him to insurance, drive to Essex (from Surrey) and then had to co-ordinate getting my car to the dealer for hand over.

If Motability go back to that, then I’ll be upset. But my current hand controls would now require about £80 contribution. Not great, but a world away from what it used to be.

#179128 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

It is my understanding, having spoken to motability about this a few months ago, that it was the government who were paying for this rather than motability. As the government have moved away from providing grants to homes with “off road” parking it seems they are removing the support to motability also.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#179147 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Which means that many on the scheme, even if they do have off road parking won’t be able to afford to switch to ev’s unless they rely on public chargers. Which to me just doesn’t seem practical. Never mind the fact that some may find plugging in a charger or carring a 3 pin plug to a socket impossible. Currently you can get assistance at petrol stations to refuel. What help is available in terms of ev charging. Another i’ll thought threw policy.

#179184 Reply
    Jojoe

I was surprised that Motability are now asking for contributions for hand controls, too.

But, just as a small point of balance: I’ve been using Motability for nearly 25 years, and ‘back in the good old days’ (as so many want us to believe), I had to pay full price for my simple push-pull hand controls. £500 was about average.

Not only that, Motability required that you had these removed before handing the car back. That was a massive pain. In my instance I had to get a friend to book a day off work, add him to insurance, drive to Essex (from Surrey) and then had to co-ordinate getting my car to the dealer for hand over.

If Motability go back to that, then I’ll be upset. But my current hand controls would now require about £80 contribution. Not great, but a world away from what it used to be.

We also had to pay for hand controls back in the 1990’s. But Motability didn’t have the £2 billion cash reserve back then. Also, they weren’t making a fortune due to the massive increase in used car prices. Whilst I’m all for seeing both sides of the argument, I don’t see Motability as the cuddly charity here to help disabled people, I see them as a profiteering company taking around £9800 from disabled peoples benefits during the term of a lease.

#179277 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

I don’t see Motability as the cuddly charity here to help disabled people

That’s because Motability Operations is not a charity.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#179301 Reply
    rico

I cant see ev orders done a week before cut off being force to pay for charger as motability entered it into the computer by then, the grant only stops on orders from april  not based on fittings.

#179302 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I was surprised that Motability are now asking for contributions for hand controls, too. But, just as a small point of balance: I’ve been using Motability for nearly 25 years, and ‘back in the good old days’ (as so many want us to believe), I had to pay full price for my simple push-pull hand controls. £500 was about average. Not only that, Motability required that you had these removed before handing the car back. That was a massive pain. In my instance I had to get a friend to book a day off work, add him to insurance, drive to Essex (from Surrey) and then had to co-ordinate getting my car to the dealer for hand over. If Motability go back to that, then I’ll be upset. But my current hand controls would now require about £80 contribution. Not great, but a world away from what it used to be.

£80 I wish, mine is £1,075 plus the premium for automatic gearbox so nearer to £2K every 3 years at today’s prices without any AP’s.

#179306 Reply
    kbfern

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/customer-guidance-electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme/electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme-guidance-for-customers#how-to-claim

To get the grant of £350 for an EV charger it has to be installed by 31st Mar 2021 see from scheme details above and para copied from that doc below.

“From April 2022, the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) will no longer be open to homeowners (including people with mortgages) who live in single-unit properties such as bungalows and detached, semi-detached or terraced housing.

Installations in single-unit properties need to be completed by 31 March 2022 and a claim submitted to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) by 30 April 2022.”

#179323 Reply
    Jojoe

DumfriesDikParticipant
    wrote:

That’s because Motability Operations is not a charity.

I know Dumfries, that’s my point, too many people think Motability is a charity and they shouldn’t complain and be grateful. If only they knew the profiteering that goes on within Motability.

#179335 Reply
    struth
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Is it just owners or is it any property.</p>

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#179344 Reply
    kbfern

https://www.replenishh.com/knowledge-hub/news/OZEV-grants-are-changing-in-2022-4094

These are the new rules, I guess some renters may comply but unless they are prepared to stump up for the charger including fitting they won’t get the grant.

So it depends who you are renting from and how generous they are.

#179387 Reply
    Echo22
    Participant

Ah well

I do 7,000 miles a year =19 miles per day

my granny charger tops up quick enough for me

#179424 Reply
    Peter

Customers in rental property are exempt from this change.

#179433 Reply
    Ronz

Hi, I spoke to Motability yesterday and they said they have no intention and the gentleman had heard Nothing about this happening. He asked me to speak to the dealership for when I oredre an electric car, he did say that they were changing from Pod Point to another Supplier though.

#179456 Reply
    Warkman

Meh,

Mitbility has never funded the petrol or diesel I have used in the last ten years or do.

why should electric vehicles get funded electric stations? Just like petrol stations, plenty of chargers out there you can use.

#179457 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Warkman, it’s because there aren’t plenty of chargers out there you can use.  Unlike fuel pumps.

#179474 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I would imagine anyway that any cost to Motability is factored into the AP’s.

#179485 Reply
    rico

Warkman that reply is being a bit silly is it not? I mean people who go ev and get a charge point still have to pay for the electricity dont they and I have to point out you will appreciate the fact its this way in 8 years time when you have no choice but to go electric.

#179488 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I have said this before but it’s my understanding the chargers fitted “free” by motability were funded entirely by the government. A motability agent told me this over the phone when I was talking about this very subject.

I agree with warkman in that motability shouldn’t be subsiding ev chargers at the expense of others on the scheme. How do you square the circle of paying for chargers when the cost of adaptations have gone through the roof and others are struggling just to get by on a daily basis.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#179491 Reply
    struth
    Participant

yes i think most of it was govt. it was to try and push evs into the market. that way, monkey see, monkey do(or so they hoped)

#179512 Reply
    RachelK

@struth, sorry for the direct question but how are you getting on with your Kona and is it comfortable and are you managing to get your wheelchair to fit okay? I did want to order an electric vehicle but there wasn’t one with a power tailgate on the scheme – (I got a BMW X1 in January)

I’m just curious to know because I find the seat comfort and support not great and the view for reversing and parking in the X1 is a bit of a struggle. I’m actually a bit worried about bumping it despite having parking sensors. (I have restricted movement in my neck and shoulders due to recent diagnosis of O.A and right-sided weakness from Brain injury from 2003).

I had to choose a car quickly as my previous car was almost 6 years old and Motability told me that I had to place an order last quarter. I had a family member test drive the X1 for me (I was a passenger as I need adaptations). With what was available on the scheme at the time, I chose the X1 but couldn’t have the reverse camera or parking aid due to the global chip shortage. I don’t know what Motability would say about me wanting to change so early into the lease so I thought i’d ask you for your thoughts on the Kona for access and seat comfort as well as ease of driving and parking.

Sorry for the long message, my brain injury makes me ramble on ha ha!

#179518 Reply
    struth
    Participant

@Rachel.

The Kona is pretty easy to drive and park etc. has a good rear camera and sensors all round. I like the near constant single pedal driving(if you want it). Just have to use brake if i have to stop mostly.

The seat isnt the most comfortable for my hip but it is supportive.  Not a huge car and the boot I initially thought was tiny but its not really. I put a small folding hoist in that takes up little room and a folding scooter which is good and there is plenty room left after its tied off with bungees. Its straight in/out too so no lip to talk of. tailgate doesnt have auto but it is light and a good height to open/close as i suffer from oa in neck and lower spine too.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by struth. Reason: add picture

#179618 Reply
    Rachel

@struth

Sorry for the late reply, I did respond yesterday but must have forgotten to press submit as it’s disappeared?

Anyway, thank you for your reply and review of your Kona. It sounds like a good car to drive, albeit the seat comfort but I suppose having OA same as you, it’s just one of the things we have to put up with. (Sorry to hear that by the way). It is a pain, literally!

As you say boot is smaller than maybe what you wanted initially, however,  it seems like you can fit in what you need quite nicely. Plus there’s hardly any load lip so that’s good like the X1 plus you’ve got the reverse camera which I haven’t. I know you said the Kona doesn’t have the electric tailgate but I will go and see one physically and try that out and see if I can manage to open and close the boot safely. My balance is quite bad from the brain injury and right-sided weakness in 2003.
    I really like the idea of one pedal driving and only using the brake to come to a stop instead of been on an off it in an ICE car. I know frequent use of the brakes causes me discomfort (not terrible  pain at the moment) with my hip and knee joints.

I’m planning on going to look at one  tomorrow with my Uncle so I’ll let you know what I think. Thanks very much for your help!

Rachel🙂

#179624 Reply
    ldc7080

I have a BP pulse charger.  via Motability and for free.  i cannot understand why you would not have snapped their hand off?  if it is crap, it will be cheaper to have it replaced than having to have the whole thing put in from scratch!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: EV chargers funded by Motability to end soon?
Your information: