Environment Secretary refuses to rule out chlorinated chicken in UK

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wigwam 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #107415 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Article

The Environment Secretary has refused to rule out chlorinated chicken and hormone-treated beef being imported from the US in a post-Brexit trade deal.

George Eustice also defended the Government’s new immigration system, after businesses raised fears of a shortage of workers.

His predecessor before the recent reshuffle had insisted the controversial products from the States would not be imported amid animal welfare and environmental fears.

But Mr Eustice, while saying there are “no plans” to change the law, did not implicitly rule it out when pressed three times on the subject.

With the Government expected to publish its negotiating position for a free trade deal with Washington within two weeks, he told Sky’s Sophy Ridge On Sunday that the Government would not “take risks” on standards of welfare.

But he said “lactic acid washes” are now more commonly used in the US than chlorine, which is unlikely to allay fears over animal welfare because concerns centre on treatment before the washes themselves.

“What I’m saying is we won’t make any moves on our standards, we’ve got a clear position in this country that it is illegal to sell chlorine-washed chicken, illegal to sell beef treated with hormones, we have no plans to change those things,” he said.

Theresa Villiers, who was relegated from leading the environment department to the backbenches in Boris Johnson’s reshuffle, was implicit in January that the EU laws banning chlorinated chicken and hormone-treated beef would be adopted here.

“There are legal barriers to their import and those are going to stay in place,” she added.

The Government’s immigration plans set out this week are designed to cut the number of low-skilled migrants entering the UK.

The plans have drawn criticism from businesses for choking off a supply of workers that they need to operate.

Mr Eustice, who used to run a strawberry farm, stressed a seasonal agricultural workers scheme will be an “important part of immigration policy in the future”.

He said there would be a quadrupling of the size of the scheme to 10,000 initially this year, but this still falls short of National Farmers’ Union calls for 70,000.

Mr Eustice said ministers would be working out a “fully fledged” programme for the future.

Home Secretary Priti Patel had suggested lower-skilled jobs could be filled by eight million people classed as “economically inactive”.

But she drew criticism after it was pointed out that the Office for National Statistics estimates most of these are students, long-term sick, carers or retired.

“I don’t think the Home Secretary was saying that all eight million of those people would be able to fill these, just that there are people there who might,” he told Sky.

Ministers are expected to recommit to seeking to obtain a Canada-style agreement with Brussels in the negotiating mandate scheduled for publication on Thursday.

But this could set up a clash with the EU after its chief negotiator Michel Barnier ruled out the possibility the UK could have the same deal as the North American nation.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #107420 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

So, chlorinated chicken is currently illegal in the UK and here are no plans to change the law.

#107423 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Having recently returned from 8 weeks in the USA eating both chicken and beef many times, I cannot say it has done me any harm. Nor harm the many americans who eat it day in and day out.

How many other UK tourists go to the USA and eat the same without ill effect? There is probably more risk from crossing the road than eating chlorinated chicken in the grand scheme of things.

#107424 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I rather imagine there is the same risk eating chlorinated chicken as there is eating EU mandated chlorinated bagged salad. None.

#107449 Reply

Brydo

The problem is that chlorine is part a processing method that makes up for poorer welfare standards on poultry farms that have sacrificed hygiene for increased production. And so chicken is washed with chlorine and other chemicals to kill off harmful microorganisms, such as salmonella, that may be present on carcasses.

#107451 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

You’re quite right Brydo about the purpose of the chlorine wash but it is not known to be a problem:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47440562

#107452 Reply

Brydo

I think I would rather have high hygiene standards personally.

#107456 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Me too, and theres no reason to reduce them. We have our standards, other nations have theirs.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Environment Secretary refuses to rule out chlorinated chicken in UK

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: