Energy firms want to switch off electric car charging.ff

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #124401 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Wigwam it’s the Daily Mail 😀

#124402 Reply
    Georgie

Successive Governments have been being warned about the impending ‘Energy Gap’ for the last 15+ years and they’ve just kept on passing the buck, safe in the knowledge that they won’t be around when the thingy hits the wotsit.  We’ve been merrily closing down coal and gas fired Power Stations without having sufficient spare capacity to cover the loss of supply.

Now Japanese and French companies are pulling out of financing new Nuclear Power Stations because our Government now wants them to take all the ‘investment risk’ – Toshiba have literally just pulled out of building the new Nuclear Station at Wylfa.  Our Green Energy sources still can’t take up the slack and the expanding (albeit only 5% at the moment) demand for recharging electric vehicles is exacerbating the problem.

The ‘spin’ will be that it’s to ‘smooth the changeover’ from one form of supply to another, but that should be seamless.  We are going to have an Energy Shortage.  Expect ‘cheap overnight prices’ to rise within the next few months.

#124403 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Without doubt Georgie.  The only hope on the horizon are Small Modular Reactors.

#124416 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Just fit all cars with a Flux Capacitor. 🙄💨🚽🧻

#124418 Reply
    Brydo

V2G Chargers, thats the answer.

#124421 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Can’t help if there’s not enough electricity generated in the first place, Brydo.

#124425 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Over the past few years, I’ve continually heard/read that “we’ve more than enough power when we go full electric” and that’s reiterated in the article by a senior voice at the National Grid, a Director no less. If they’re now saying that we don’t have enough energy, how rubbish must their calculations have been? I mean truly it’s not a difficult calculation.

My view is that this is the start of the end for cheap charging for EV’s. I’ve said it before, that now is the best time to own one as as it’s only a matter of time before EV charging will be subjected to the duty needed to plug the gap caused by the loss in fossil fuel duty.
    It’s not impossible that this is a woolly way from the powers that be, preparing us for the imminent price rises for EV charging. “We don’t have enough power but if you pay a higher price, we’ll magically be able to make it available.”

They’ve said for years that there’s more than enough power available and these are clever people. How can there suddenly be not enough? I smell a rat.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#124427 Reply
    Brydo

There is plenty of energy produced wigwam but not necessarily  at the time it’s needed. BEVs can soak up all the spare energy generated and store it in the battery for use later. V2G chargers are the key to releasing this energy back into the grid when it’s needed.

As it stands electricity generators are paid to switch off energy production when there is no demand. As more and more BEVs come to the market the need for this will reduce until it stops completely.

#124428 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Brydo, do you really imagine every owner of a EV is going to tether it to a charging point when it’s not in use? Is every parking space in every car park going to have a plug? Or am I missing something?

#124431 Reply
    Georgie

BionicRusty – While the Rest of the World was investing in safe alternatives to nuclear energy (Thorium ‘fail safe’ reactors being favourite, but we still have a way to go with that) Britain boldly moved forward with – more nuclear power stations.  Except we can’t afford to build them any more, so we asked China, Japan and France to invest, with the ‘Deals’ we offered put most of the risk on their shoulders.  Now that our current Government (imho elected on a Manifesto of Lies) has shown itself to be totally untrustworthy as well as incompetent, international Investors are pulling out.  The on-going ‘issues’ we have with Huawei are also seriously affecting China’s willingness to invest in Britain.

Brydo – The problem with ‘storing energy for when it’s needed’ is that batteries are actually pretty bad at holding onto energy for any length of time.

https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/electricity-and-energy-storage.aspx

#124432 Reply
    Brydo

Wigwam not every BEV will be connected to the grid at all times similarly they all won’t be disconnected at the same time.The fact is there will be no need for all BEVs to be connected at the same time, the answer, as always, is somewhere in between.

Maybe what you don’t know is that those choosing to share the energy stored in their BEV will get paid, up to £200ish per year for doing so.

There’s nothing like a bit of free cash to persuade people to join in.

#124433 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Nice idea Brydo but it’s not going to happen. You scenario presumes EVs would sit at home plugged in most of the time which of course they don’t.

#124440 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Nice idea Brydo but it’s not going to happen. You scenario presumes EVs would sit at home plugged in most of the time which of course they don’t.

They sit at work during the day, connected to the 7kW posts, absorbing the midday solar peak, there’ll be plenty of electricity spare for the aircon at the office.

As usual, the trouble comes when there’s a high pressure system in the winter & the weather is cold, clear, and still.

#124448 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You jest, gothitjulie. I’d like to know where this “work” car parking is, with 7kW posts!!  And if you say it’s coming, I will say most people park where they can, in residential and industrial side streets, and dirt car parks, not in ready made and equipped car parking bays.

An ordered society is an un-achievable dream of planners.

#124452 Reply
    Georgie

I can just see Boris (or his political heirs) deciding to ‘Get ahead of the game’ and decide to waste more £billions we don’t have digging up all the roads and lining them with chargers, so vehicles recharge as they go:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90347555/this-electric-road-charges-your-car-while-you-drive

#124457 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

You may jest but I’ve said all along that this is one of the best solutions but I think the horse has bolted now.
    I’ve always maintained that the best solution would be either;

Contactless charging through the road network and home, or,

Replacement batteries where you drive in and have them swapped out. Like we do now with filling stations.

Neither is impossible and we already have the tech to achieve this about as far advanced as  we are now. The problem is that the infrastructure would require a massive upheaval and governments just won’t do it.
    There’s an argument that we can’t swap out as the batteries are inboard and buried mid chassis. Yes they are but only because that was the simplest way to get it to market. Not the most innovative.

The solution we have imo, is a sticking plaster that we’ll live with for many, many years. Even with the advent of solid state and super charging, it’s not going to be quicker than, at the very least, 20 mins.
    That versus about 5 mins.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#124461 Reply
    Brydo

Wayne if, and when, I ever get a BEV I may never visit a filling station again as I can charge at home and according to the government 60% of the UK public can do the same.

#124471 Reply
    Daf

With every new tech there are challenges and BEV technology is no different. It wasn’t so long ago renewable energy was rejected on the basis of cost. Now Solar and onshore wind are the cheapest energy sources available.

BEV technology is moving so quickly, I have no doubt that the storage issue will be resolved. Tesla are moving forward with home storage solutions and we can expect further innovations from the battery day announcements later today.

We should all welcome this new clean alternative to fossil fuels. It may just save the world we know from oblivion.

#124473 Reply
    Carl

Government are now proposing a ban on selling new diesel and petrol cars by 2030.  We all need to embrace change.

#124477 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Embrace change imposed on you by a government which constantly lies to you, without question, Carl?

And Daf, renewables aren’t the cheapest source of energy, if they were your electricity bills would go down. In reality you are subsidising the massive investment cost through your bills and the government is doing the same with billions of pounds of your taxes.

Things are rarely as they seem.  The only winners are the shareholders of the new renewables industries lapping up our taxes.

#124480 Reply
    Daf

I beg to differ Wigwam, Solar and Onshore wind are currently the cheapest form of electricity production. If I have a choice of seeing renewable companies doing well or Oil companies then ill stick with renewable.

We have to embrace non polluting technologies if we want a future. Renewables, coupled with improved storage are currently the most viable options.

#124481 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Only if you ignore subsidies, Daf.  Otherwise no.

#124488 Reply
    rox
    Participant

What it is all is about is more ways to control us. In ways (some very extreme) that alot would could imagine.

Would you of beleived there’d be a lockdown and all these restrictions before. Nope you’d be a conspiracy theorists.

The technocrats will try and save the world but in reality they will destroy it. They just want a slice of the pie and like many civilizations in history everything is done to keep control of us the people. To save us from ourselves and others like with this covid.

1% of all deaths last week was from covid how many from other causes not treated because of covid and many people have taken there own lives, my cousin was one. This is the same people who treat us DLA and Pip clamants with such contempt and who drop bombs and even nuke people.

Yet alot believe their motives. I’d also say the wests stockpiles are getting less and less and those who do have gas for instance like russia and the brick nations are the enemy, or so we told.

So we need to make that jump to the new energy sources and also they can make $$$ more from us from it’s creation and up the debt and enslave us more. who benefits from it all.

Who benefits from the so called sugar tax, those who make the artifical stuff. Those lobbing to get there way and scaring people into accepting the solutions they offer from the chaos they cause. you will all see the cahnges but you won’t notice. it’s like having your own kid they grow and cahnge but you don’t really notice. but other who ain’t ssen them for a while are shocked how much they have.. It’s how it all works.

I am not against the technology i am worried about the motives and the future.

#124492 Reply
    Brydo

ITERESTING READ – https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-renewables-generate-more-electricity-than-fossil-fuels-for-first-time

Analysis: UK renewables generate more electricity than fossil fuels for first time.

In the third quarter of 2019, the UK’s windfarms, solar panels, biomass and hydro plants generated more electricity than the combined output from power stations fired by coal, oil and gas, Carbon Brief analysis reveals.

During the three months of July, August and September, renewables generated an estimated total of 29.5 terawatt hours (TWh), compared with just 29.1TWh from fossil fuels, the analysis shows.

This is the first-ever quarter where renewables outpaced fossil fuels since the UK’s first public electricity generating station opened in 1882. It is another symbolic milestone in the stunning transformation of the UK’s electricity system over the past decade.

Nevertheless, a lack of progress in other parts of the economy means the UK remains far off track against its upcoming legally-binding carbon targets, let alone the recently adopted goal of net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

#124497 Reply
    Daf

Wigwam, name me one source of energy that does not have subsidies. Renewables are the least subsidised. Factor in damage to the environment, people’s health etc and the case for renewables are even more compelling.

Rox the fact is if we don’t treat the environment with respect we will pay a heavy price, indeed we are paying that price already. I have little respect for the powers that be but I have no doubt we are nearing the tipping point with regards to our environment.

Brydo is absolutely right to emphasise the fact that this country is not meeting its environmental obligations and its up to people like us through our actions and targeted pressure to encourage them to do so before it’s too late.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
Reply To: Energy firms want to switch off electric car charging.ff
Your information: