End of first week with our EV

• Creator
    Topic
  • #163773 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

So we arrive at the end of our first week with our EV and we can now add up if we really will save, well it isn’t difficult, when we said goodbye to our trusty Alhambra the maximum we could put in the tank each week was ltd to £30 over the period we had it this equated to 141 miles per week average. This week however we have done an amazing 454 miles in the Peugeot I am driving like a Grandad or in my case a Great Grandad and getting up to 154 mile range which is crazy and well beyond the Published figures. So this week has cost a total of £8 in electric, we calculate that to have done the same miles in the Alhambra would have cost £74. Now I understand that this will aggravate lots of people and there will be loads who argue why the don’t want or can’t have an EV. That’s not the purpose I just want to tell people how it’s affecting us selfishly, and how it’s enabling us to enjoy the car again travel more without concern for fuel costs, so I hope this helps. I have to clean it now maybe should have got a smaller one.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #163778 Reply
    James

So glad your happy and it doesn’t matter to anyone else the reasons behind a purchase, my friends got an id3 and he’s saving over £200 a month and he will openly say that he loves the car but he bought it because of the savings

#163779 Reply
    joss

Excellent news @Windy. The EV is giving you massive fuel savings and giving you back the freedom to enjoy driving again.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#163789 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

That’s great info for anyone who is firmly on the fence concerning EVs, like me. I just wish a EV comes on that suits my needs and I can afford.

#163790 Reply
    garry
    Participant

Love a good news story me, glad you’re enjoying your new car 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by garry.
    #163799 Reply
    John Morris

We looked at EVs last December when we were ordering. There was nothing at all in our price range (£1000) that could accommodate all 5 of us with 2 car seats in the rear and our teenage daughter in the middle. The Niro and Kona were too small and the van type 7 seaters were too expensive. We desperately hope in 2 and half years time the world will be in a better place and normality will resume and maybe bigger EVs will be available for our budget. I have driven a leaf+ and I loved the feel of the power delivery. So smooth.  Currently costing £20 for a 140 mile round trip which we do regularly to visit family. I’d love one for the cost per mile alone!!

#163801 Reply
    ajn

Great stuff, it’s been such a difficult time being stuck in, it’s great to get out and about, great vehicle too 👍

#163834 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

That’s great to hear, glad you are back to enjoying life on the road and not being stuck at home wishing you could afford to travel a bit.

The Peugeot sounds great & it must be serene wafting along on electric juice.

I’m just coming up to one month with my first ever EV (Kia Soul) and in 1100 miles I’ve spent £0 on running costs. No home charger, so charging at rapids and the local ones are currently all free.

Keep up the posts, its great to hear how people get on with their cars.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#163840 Reply
    Ted

Nice update and great to see you can get out more now👍

#163844 Reply
    AndyDStone
    Participant

Great news! Welcome back to motoring for the sheer pleasure of it…👍🏻😎

#163849 Reply
    Mike

The savings are unbelievable in an EV. I’ve had my Kona since 6 July and done just over 6000 and it’s cost £110. We have done 4 long distance trips and it never cost us a penny in electric. We find ourselves going out for leisure drives. The driving experience is so much better. Would never go back to ICE car.

#163850 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

The savings are unbelievable in an EV. I’ve had my Kona since 6 July and done just over 6000 and it’s cost £110. We have done 4 long distance trips and it never cost us a penny in electric. We find ourselves going out for leisure drives. The driving experience is so much better. Would never go back to ICE car.

Likewise, I’m not even thinking about the costs of driving anymore, It’s a nice bonus having a home charger, but even without one, I’ve now done 12500 miles since picking up my Kona, cost, £400, saving me over £1050 on my diesel costs for the same mileage

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#163852 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

I must make it clear as I often do I am full time carer driver gopher of my disabled wife who has MS and now spinal problems. So getting out has been a real issue and we can now just go out for a drive, the vehicle is now big enough for her proper chair but just being out is a positive, we are still nervous of crowds and she is not keen on tackling any area where she feels vulnerable so we are rural country folk and don’t like shopping much. So driving is nice but fast became unaffordable on a fixed income, we realised how many places we used to visit regularly, have not been visited for years and not because of COVID.
    we had a day off today as she was very tired due to the new travel and I cleaned the monster EV just wish I was 6 inches taller. But it looks like new again.

#163907 Reply
    Matt9815

We’ve just got to the end of our first week with the ID3. Absolutely cracking car, loads of gadgets, loads of space and low AP. Wouldn’t have an ICE again. The 45kw battery did just shy of 200 miles! Was going to use free charger, but saw the 50kw one and wanted to try that! 15-80% charge in 45 minutes and cost just under £8. Will use the free charger in future as they have a 22kw. Still waiting for BP Pulse, but that’s another story!
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

#163908 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Looks brilliant Matt great choice. Can you not use a granny charger?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#163909 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Brilliant so glad you are happy too.

I don’t think we  can get much free as would mean travelling to get it so no sense really home charge is 5.5p and we started overpaying a few months ago do hopefully all covered for a year.

wd are going away in December way out of range but reckon if we combine Lidl and Tesco will be easier than all the motorway maps especially as we have 4 large dogs

so glad you love EV

#163910 Reply
    matt9815
    Participant

Looks brilliant Matt great choice. Can you not use a granny charger?

They don’t come with a granny charger unfortunately, and they’re about £150. The other issue is that the drive is at the end of a long garden and you can’t use them with an extension lead. I’m going to see if regular small top ups at the 22kw works, as it’s not far from home and is free!!

#163911 Reply
    matt9815
    Participant

Brilliant so glad you are happy too. I don’t think we can get much free as would mean travelling to get it so no sense really home charge is 5.5p and we started overpaying a few months ago do hopefully all covered for a year. wd are going away in December way out of range but reckon if we combine Lidl and Tesco will be easier than all the motorway maps especially as we have 4 large dogs so glad you love EV

Have you got zapmap? It’s a really good app and allows you to filter by cost and charging speed, which will be useful when you plan longer trips.

#163914 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Yes we have all the apps but not so sure they are that good for example we are going from North Shropshire to Devon long way but Zap map will not offer the alternative route down toward Gloucester Chepstow and across Severn Bridge, which is fine but with dogs and a flowered vehicle M5 not that suitable do the only way I could force Zap map was to give it a stop off in Coleford but even then it but me onto M5 and M50 not the route through Shrewsbury Leominster etc so I wonder if it’s focus is on speed inclusive of charge I have tried a few routes and for me have resorted to map and pen I don’t see the point in taking my vehicle at flat out down the motorway it’s better doing an eco route with less stops

#163915 Reply
    Ted

Loving the updates on ev ownership just hope they put more on in October as so want one now.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: End of first week with our EV
Your information: