End of EV £3500 Grant

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Oscarmax 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #107091 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

“We have always said we would phase out the subsidies gradually, but there are other ways we can help people to go electric.”

Of course there is. By banning the sales of new petrol/diesel. In doing this the government doesn’t need to offer an incentive. Also, before the ban date, whenever that eventually is, the taxation classes for EV’s (not just those over £40k) will need to be up and running.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#107092 Reply

roly
    Participant

Personally, I’d like to see the investment in charging points etc. For most people, if they can afford a new car costing £20k, £30k, etc, £3.5k discount is not an insurmountable hurdle. What is a hurdle, if I look at my neck of the woods, is the distinct lack of public charging infrastructure.

If EVs become £3.5k more expensive overnight on 31st March which in turn slows their sales you bet that manufacturers will start throwing bigger discounts in to the equation.

#107113 Reply

Andy
    Participant

How is the government going to make back the tax revenue it currently gets from fuel…

#107138 Reply

72 Dudes

Stealthily

#107140 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

The option most likely is to charge per mile, the more you travel the more you pay.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#107147 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Agree again Brydo. Almost certainly pay as you drive.

They need to recoup that £28Billion of current fuel tax somehow.

#107148 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo how are they going to charge none UK vehicles?

I wonder what is going to happen to the EV charger £500 grant after the March 11th Budget

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#107155 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

Part of that £28 billion could come from scrapping the fossil subsidies of £10.5 billion a year, but it won’t be a popular move as much of that is the reduced VAT rate on domestic fuel.

What about a tax on the city folk who go on endlessly about other people driving cars yet those city folk are provided with highly subsidised & frequent public transport, wheras those of us outside the cities only occasionally use public transport because they run only occasionally, are hideously expensive, & don’t go where you want to go.

#107168 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I certainly agree re public transport. I live rurally in North Wales and my kids try their best to use it but I’ve lost count of the times we’ve had to drive 50+ miles to get them because trains have been cancelled last minute when they were on the platform. If this happened in London, it’d be headline news. It happens here weekly.

The problem is the decision makers live in these big cities and believe it or not, human nature does not consider life outside itself. It just doesn’t.

I had a Twitter discussion last week with a chap in London who asked why I wouldn’t consider an EV. He stated that North Wales looked good for chargers. When I posted a 60 mile snap-shot of here vs there (London) I never received a response.

Another point is a ridiculous BBC piece last week that asked which should come first infrastructure or public buying of EV’s. Ben Thompson actually liked a response to my post stating we need to buy first! So what do I do? Buy an EV and live in fear of not reaching my destination? Or buy one and park it up until it’s there.

It’s not a chicken and egg story this one. And let’s not forget that the ban will now also include hybrids. All new sales will be EV’s or nothing.
    Mark my words though, this date will move. When Government makes these commitments, I truly believe that, if they miss, that they should incur penalties a la industry late penalties. When this date comes and goes, we’ll all be saying, ‘sounds like Brexit!’

Oh Happy Days. 🤪

#107248 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo how are they going to charge none UK vehicles? I wonder what is going to happen to the EV charger £500 grant after the March 11th Budget

Well I ordered my PodPoint EV home charger 32amp with teethed cable, just in case the grant is removed in the March 11th  budget,  £290 fitted.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#107256 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Oscarmax sorry I didn’t notice your previous post and the reply is – I don’t know lol.
    They are still deciding on how to recoup the lost fuel duty so nothing is set in stone. The budget will be really interesting and a firm guide as to how this government will deal EVs in the future.

#107257 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Wayne have you spoken to your local council? There are funds available from the government to help councils fit charging points. I would have thought rural areas would be priority.

#107260 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Oscarmax sorry I didn’t notice your previous post and the reply is – I don’t know lol. They are still deciding on how to recoup the lost fuel duty so nothing is set in stone. The budget will be really interesting and a firm guide as to how this government will deal EVs in the future.

Brydo you do know I hold you responsible, you originally got me fired up as regards EV, there is no stopping me know.

#107263 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Just don’t expect anything rational from a government that wants to ban people from burning coal, because my occasional winter coal fire is destroying the planet.

#107264 Reply

brydo

That’s brilliant oscarmax, I remember two years ago when I joined the forum and started posting about EV’s. The forum members where like “who is this guy” and “how can we get rid of him” lol, it was an interesting time.

Argument after argument pursued but gradually more and more started to agree and now the ICE/EV balance is much more even. In fact I THINK most posters would have an EV if they could get one that suit’s their needs.

What a difference a couple of years makes lol.

#107265 Reply

brydo

Wigwam I would ban everything you do.

When does the hunting season start old boy lol

#107268 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo if we did not tow a caravan we would have gone for a pure EV, as we tow a caravan we have gone for the Outlander PHEV with is friendly £1699 AP.

The Outlander PHEV only requires a 16 amp charger we purposely have gone for the 32 amp EV home charger in anticipation our next car in a few years time will be an EV easily capable of towing our caravan.

#107270 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I believe it depends what you’re hunting and where, Brydo, but I really can’t help you. Perhaps you could try Google for the answer.

#107272 Reply

brydo
    #107273 Reply

brydo

Wigwam that’s not how banter works, I say something funny, you say something funny back, we have laugh and move onto the next topic lol.

#107275 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo, the answer is yes, will be available in the next quarter ?

#107276 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Ford have invested $500,000,000 in rivian so watch this space lol.

#107291 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Don’t reckon much to the test driver, he’s reversed into somebody’s camping gear! 😁

#107297 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Vinalspin have you seen the torque figures, can you imagine a non blue badge holder in you parking space? I can see you performing a Big Foot on them with one of these

#107327 Reply

roly
    Participant

@oscarmax: did you have to provide any evidence of having an EV (PHEV) in order to claim the £500 government grant?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: End of EV £3500 Grant

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: