End of 3 year lease

• Creator
    Topic
  • #169841 Reply
    Dragonfly

Hi

2022 is the last year of our lease with Covid the car has only done 8k miles. Can we still extend the lease on our current car and when do we have to inform mobility about the lease extension.

I imagine that many people have not been driving the miles they normally do because of the Covid lockdowns.

We have a Qashqai Tekna + and  really like it.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169844 Reply
    Dragonfly

It does look like you can extend the lease

Mobility can only arrange a lease extension in the final three months of your agreement so you should wait until this time to contact mobility

#169845 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Yes you can extend for either 1 or 2 years. It’s only worth extending for 2 years though, as you have the option to order a new car at any time from the day that you extend, but Motability won’t allow two extensions – so if you extend by a year and then decide that you want to extend for a further year they won’t allow it.

I’m not a fan of lease extensions. Keep in mind that you sacrifice exactly the same benefits in the 4th and 5th year in order to drive an increasingly old car. Over 5 years you will have paid over £16k for the car, plus AP, plus options. It’s a nice earner for Motability.

#169856 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Yes you can extend and as Glos Guy says it’s best to go for two years as you can order at any time in the two years but be aware that you need at least 12 months remaining on your PIP to order a new car.

#169862 Reply
    Ianfca

I don’t know if it was because of covid but our car is now in its second one year extension.

#169864 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I don’t know if it was because of covid but our car is now in its second one year extension.

Probably and I guess there’s always exceptions, but there’s nothing whatsoever to be gained by doing a 1 year extension and I recall another poster on here recently bemoaning the fact that they had extended for a year and now weren’t allowed to extend again.

#169897 Reply
    Dragonfly

I asked the question as I suspected Covid had reduced many peoples mileage. I also wondered if the Motorbility rules might state that the lease could be extended but in practice permission was not being granted, many things have gone a little odd during Covid.

The advice about going for a two year lease is most welcome, we like our Qashqai and it suits our needs very nicely. The mileage we do is mainly journeys of 300+ miles and I don’t want to go down the Hybrid or electric route simply due to the lack of range.

At least I know what my options are.

#169908 Reply
    struth
    Participant

yeah due to having 18 months locked in house up here not really even allowed to take car out and deffo not allowed out of my county, which isnt particularly big, my mileage is only 5k and due to go back in 10 days. still not heard if new car is at dealers yet.

im betting they will be licking lips at profit they should get on mine as its basically mint. i also have to say it gets best mileage of any car ive had and is nice to sit in and drive too. just door head height is a struggle now.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 14 hours ago by struth.
    #170023 Reply
    Dragonfly

@Struth

And I thought my Milage was low 😂😂

#170045 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

5,000 miles for about 15 trips, that’s about £660+ per trip if only taking pip payments, you’d have been better off just renting a motor each trip, could have got something nice and saved thousands.

#170085 Reply
    Lord muc

Maybe they should look at mileage, if you do low miles, the monthly cost should be lowered or a higher good condition payment at the end.

#170086 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Maybe they should look at mileage, if you do low miles, the monthly cost should be lowered or a higher good condition payment at the end.

Good idea 💡

#170118 Reply
    Micky

My car Mondeo eastate st 2 ltr  auto lovely car mileage 7500 it’s 3 years 2 months old,my mercedes dealer extended lease until Oct 22 ,or dare I say it, until  new Merc arrives ,don’t be daft I hear you say lol

When a new car order in its your dealer that extends lease & insurance.

#170120 Reply
    Lord muc

Micky, it’s motobility, that extends the lease, one way or another.

#170122 Reply
    Littledave.

We extended because I couldn’t see the point of putting down another large ap when the car was hardly being used and because our Alhambra had no direct replacement available on the scheme. It still doesn’t, and we will be forced into a smaller, less suitable vehicle. Frankly, I’d be happy extending even further. The car has covered 26k miles and has been totally reliable. I’m no longer bothered about driving an older car.

#170184 Reply
    Dragonfly

@Littledave

I share the same thoughts, it’s of little use changing a car if you are unable to get a car that suits your needs

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: End of 3 year lease
Your information: