Electric, Petrol or Extend

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165993 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Well I had a test drive in a Kona electric today and it has left me unsure what route to take. The test drive, which I will not go into detail here, was okay. The car drives well but the interior left me a little underwhelmed with too much hard plastics and my back was starting to ache after an hour, although the equipment levels are really high and at 5.5m/kwh that equates to a real life range of 352miles based on town and country, and yes the car accelerates rapidly. Time to reflect. I am going to test drive an ID.3 and given that I know the interior is a little lacking, perhaps I can look at the car more objectively. Probably didn´t help the dealer being way too pushy coupled with a lack of knowledge about the car. I could not see the HUD unless the car seat was set low. The manager said this cannot be adjusted but I have since discovered it can.  This  lack of knowledge does not “sit well” with me. So the ID.3 next and then it will be time to decide on Electric, Petrol or an extension. Given the AP´s on Electric and Hybrid at the moment an extension is looking the most likely option in a wait and see exercise, to see what 2022 might bring.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165995 Reply
    Mark Holland

Extend everything will be so different in 6  12 or 18 months extend if your in a good car extend and then look at electric cars not ICe manufacturer’s we have to change our approach oh and go and have a look at the MG 5 don’t buy it but take a look the marques we know now are not the marques of the future

#165997 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Yes, the HUD can be adjusted as you’ve now found, you can raise and lower, as well as tilt and change the size of the display.

Big issue is severe lack of knowledge at dealerships sadly.

I have a spinal cord injury, and find the seats really comfortable, each to their own I guess, I’m loving the Kona and it eats the miles and incredibly well spec’d, but if you aren’t sure, then I’d wait it out, next 12 months should see plenty of new EV’s on the scheme, Kia have even eventually added the e-Niro!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#166001 Reply
    FiestaRed

I think with the way the APs have shot up, extending is a great option.

Having said that, I’ve just changed to a Toyota Hybrid which I am over the moon with after spending many years in a Vauxhall. I now really look forward to getting in the car and going for a drive.

My only wish is that I had gone down the same route many years ago.

#166004 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Yes, the HUD can be adjusted as you’ve now found, you can raise and lower, as well as tilt and change the size of the display. Big issue is severe lack of knowledge at dealerships sadly. I have a spinal cord injury, and find the seats really comfortable, each to their own I guess, I’m loving the Kona and it eats the miles and incredibly well spec’d, but if you aren’t sure, then I’d wait it out, next 12 months should see plenty of new EV’s on the scheme, Kia have even eventually added the e-Niro!

Thanks for the info.  I have a few weeks before I can order so I have time to reflect. I am not keen at all on my local Hyundai dealership but they had the right car for demo. Thinking back, no screens, no hand gel and no staff wearing masks, not a great experience. I will use my preferred dealer, a longer drive but nice people. The HUD info is useful as I would have the seat at its highest setting, just a question of the rules of physics and angles etc.  All the reports on the Kona here are positive and to be honest I prefer to go by real peoples experience rather than the motoring press, which like the real press tends to be biased. I think when I have another look at the inside again I will be happier and the car makes such a compelling case, in terms of price, performance, economy and practicality and a decent lead time. That said I will reserve final judgement until I have driven the ID.3 Petrol and Hybrid options start in the 000´s and I am not sure I want to spend that sort of money.

#166008 Reply
    Rene

I’d probably extend.

The reason we’re not extending is simply that we’re not that happy with our car anymore, and of course petrol getting evermore expensive.

Our Hyundai dealership is.. a bit naff, they didn’t strike me as “friendly” (even before knowing we’re with Motability), nor particularly interested in explaining things to us. Proof is in the pudding though, GTE on saturday and then probably the wednesday after the Kona.

As a tip with the ID3, turn the interior lighting all the way up in brightness – it’s very visible even in daylight (unlike in our current car), and makes the cabin a considerably nicer place to be. At least to us.

#166011 Reply
    Psuader

Really interesting post.

I desperately want to get into an EV and like the sound of the Kia Soul. BUT, my worry is – more than ICE cars- that the situation will change so rapidly around EV’s in the next year that there could be much more tasty EV metal on offer. Suddenly, my Kia might look like a bum deal. OR things could rapidly deteriorate with Motability- which would be consistent with the last 12 months, nay 8 years.

I am very happy with my current vehicle so could extend….

Hmmm decisions, decisions.

#166017 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

I have already extended as my Tiguan was 3 years old in early June, and has still only covered 22000 miles, and is in first class condition, with full KESSY , opening panoramic roof, auto reversing, sliding reclining back seats , massage function on drivers seat etc etc etc,  and I am not going to exchange it for a lesser car, simply to get an EV.

I have an ID 4 on order with the option of changing it to ID 3 MAX, due probably some time in Feb/March/ April, if I go ahead –  no money down, no cost to me if I walk away, so it was worth ordering it and sitting back whilst new entries come into the EV marketplace

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#166019 Reply
    MR Mark Winter

I decided in the end to go with a VW ID.3 Max Pro. Both my wife and son said the rear seats of the ID.3 was a better place to be than the Kona. Once the AP went down to £1399 from £4649 it seemed a “reasonable” price to pay.

Why electric, the ID.3 should work out to 1/3rd or to a 1/2 of diesel fuel costs. Plus the I.Q. head lights on the ID.3 are way better than any car I have ever driven.

One last point, if the AP on the VW ID.4 should go down as the AP did on the ID.3 then I will be tempted to cancel the ID.3 and order a ID.4. The sales guy at VW said that would be OK.

#166024 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Really interesting post. I desperately want to get into an EV and like the sound of the Kia Soul. BUT, my worry is – more than ICE cars- that the situation will change so rapidly around EV’s in the next year that there could be much more tasty EV metal on offer. Suddenly, my Kia might look like a bum deal. OR things could rapidly deteriorate with Motability- which would be consistent with the last 12 months, nay 8 years. I am very happy with my current vehicle so could extend…. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

I’d argue that at the current AP for ID3 and Kona, there’s no “bum offers”. They’re both incredibly well equipped, with the ID3 having tech that some other premium manufacturers are charging 60k+ for (matrix LEDs, augmented really HUD etc).

Keeping in mind that “great” EVs like the Enyaq for example will not come with much equipment (basically everything in the Enyaq is optional), so even at £2000 AP (and it’ll be most likely more than twice that, judging by the ID4 AP), you still have to add another £2000 or more worth of options.

In terms of value for money, the current offers are quite possibly the best offers of the entire scheme (both ID3 and Kona).

#166034 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Really interesting post. I desperately want to get into an EV and like the sound of the Kia Soul. BUT, my worry is – more than ICE cars- that the situation will change so rapidly around EV’s in the next year that there could be much more tasty EV metal on offer. Suddenly, my Kia might look like a bum deal. OR things could rapidly deteriorate with Motability- which would be consistent with the last 12 months, nay 8 years. I am very happy with my current vehicle so could extend…. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

I’d argue that at the current AP for ID3 and Kona, there’s no “bum offers”. They’re both incredibly well equipped, with the ID3 having tech that some other premium manufacturers are charging 60k+ for (matrix LEDs, augmented really HUD etc). Keeping in mind that “great” EVs like the Enyaq for example will not come with much equipment (basically everything in the Enyaq is optional), so even at £2000 AP (and it’ll be most likely more than twice that, judging by the ID4 AP), you still have to add another £2000 or more worth of options. In terms of value for money, the current offers are quite possibly the best offers of the entire scheme (both ID3 and Kona).

I have to agree Rene. I had a really detailed look through Motability this afternoon and the Kona Electric and ID.3 are two of the stand out cars in terms of value. I am going to have a second look at the Kona at a different dealers and take a second test drive along with the ID.3, then pause and consider. The difficulty about waiting is we simply don´t know what the situation will be next year in terms of availability, pricing and waiting times. I like the ID.4, but the prices are too high, the Enyaq, as you say carries a huge options list, with many options being “essentials”. When I do the maths, based on 12000 miles pa, the savings of almost 2k pa are hard to ignore. As always, due diligence is needed.

#166071 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Think of it like this, you can wait and wait and wait until something tasty as you say appears on the scheme. But that is always the case no matter what you choose and when you choose it. I went for the soul and i love it, and if you choose an EV now the money you save over the next 3 years will add up to a very tasty deposit on your next car, which no doubt will be even tastier then than it is now lol.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#166082 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Think of it like this, you can wait and wait and wait until something tasty as you say appears on the scheme. But that is always the case no matter what you choose and when you choose it. I went for the soul and i love it, and if you choose an EV now the money you save over the next 3 years will add up to a very tasty deposit on your next car, which no doubt will be even tastier then than it is now lol.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Stuart. I recall my days as a Bank Manager, not with pride or fond memories I might add! however there was always a handful of customers who would never make a decision, believing better deals were just around the corner or their investment would rise in value and they could wait and make a killing. Sadly, in most cases it never happened. The prospect for me of owning an EV now, or in a few months, with the huge savings in running costs, makes a very compelling case. I am awaiting a call from VW to book a test drive in an ID.3 and then I am going to take a second drive in the Kona. Then it will be decision time and I dont want to fall into the procrastination category!

#166085 Reply
    Djw38uk

I’d extend if I could and will enquire at the end of my current lease, however…….

I do around 12000 miles per annum so at 36000 odd I don’t think they will allow me to extend.

#166088 Reply
    Ian Price

Decided to not wait in the hope that something better might come on. If it did then the chances are the AP would be high. An example being wanted the e-nero 4+, but just look at the AP. Just not worth it. The model is now getting on for 3 years old. How can they ask that much for this. Glad I got my Kia soul EV last month before it was withdrawn.

#166096 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Decided to not wait in the hope that something better might come on. If it did then the chances are the AP would be high. An example being wanted the e-nero 4+, but just look at the AP. Just not worth it. The model is now getting on for 3 years old. How can they ask that much for this. Glad I got my Kia soul EV last month before it was withdrawn.

I really like the Soul, especially in Blue, would definitely have been on my short list, the e-nero, too pricey especially as you have to trade up to a model 3 or 4 for sat-nav.

#166158 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Had a look online at the other electric offerings. The Leaf is nice but taking the AP with the more limited 239 mile range rules it out for me and the nothing else fits the bill. A 3 horse race therefore . Kona ID.3 or extension.

#166161 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Had a look online at the other electric offerings. The Leaf is nice but taking the AP with the more limited 239 mile range rules it out for me and the nothing else fits the bill. A 3 horse race therefore . Kona ID.3 or extension.

Yes, it’s a pity about the range with the Nissan Leaf. I looked at one at my local Nissan dealership and the salesman told me I would be very lucky to get 239 miles out of it.

#166162 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Yes, it’s a pity about the range with the Nissan Leaf. I looked at one at my local Nissan dealership and the salesman told me I would be very lucky to get 239 miles out of it.

Real life figures suggest 215 summer and 181 winter.

#166234 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Have booked a test drive for the ID.3 next week, a 58Kwh version. This and the Kona do seem to be the front runners in this segment so will write a few words on both after.

#166244 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Have booked a test drive for the ID.3 next week, a 58Kwh version. This and the Kona do seem to be the front runners in this segment so will write a few words on both after.

Curious to see what you think.

We have a GTE test drive tomorrow, although we’re pretty much set on the ID3. Just want to do the “due diligence”, same with the Kona. The ID3 just suits us. The Kona might too, we’ll see.

The GTE.. I don’t think it’s going to beat the ID3. But the test drive is through the brecon beacons for an hour, so at least we have a beautiful landscape to look at, and a few twisty bits. Just hoping the weather keeps dry (unlikely), otherwise it’s kinda pointless. I can experience wheel scrubbing and traction control jackhammering in our own car lol. 🙁

#166297 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I have had a look at the e.nero as the 2 trim does come with sat nav, however the 2 trim lacks many of the features of the ID.3 and Kona Ultimate but comes with a much higher AP, 2399!

#166326 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

If a consideration is fuel cost, I’d say go electric asap.
    At some point, government will want to recover the annual £28 Billion paid in fuel duty and so, through smart chargers, pay-per-mile or otherwise, this will mean that the domestic rate will no longer be used.

And don’t necessarily believe what the dealers or Motability say with regards to specific cars or models coming on to the scheme.
    Both the dealers and Motability said, categorically, that the XC40 Recharge would not come on to the scheme.
    Yet it did.
    And this has happened time & time again.

Being honest, I want to go to EV’s but I’m now having to regularly travel an over 300 mile round trip and as I have to stop every 20-30 minutes, when I was looking last year, range was an issue. (Not sure what it’s like now)

Again being honest, I’m sorry I left diesel for petrol.
    UK Gov state that E10 petrol is approximately 1% less efficient but in my experience, they got the decimal point in the wrong place.

I think it’s over 10% less efficient.

Good luck with the ID3.
    That’s a great car.
    #Jealous 😂

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#166328 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

XV40 T4 and T5 PHEV are on the scheme but not the all electric Recharge P8.

Volvo seem to set out to confuse with giving two different types the same badge. The PHEV Recharge was called Twin Engine before the P8 was launched.

#166329 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Electric has a huge cost advantage over ICE at present but we know this will be eroded over time. I will have a better with Motability before placing an order for either the Kona or ID.3 to check what other electric cars could join imminently however a similar conversation in September there was no mention of the e.nero.

#166332 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Both the dealers and Motability said, categorically, that the XC40 Recharge would not come on to the scheme. Yet it did.

Yes and no. The PHEV Recharge, yes. The all-electric Recharge, no.

Being honest, I want to go to EV’s but I’m now having to regularly travel an over 300 mile round trip and as I have to stop every 20-30 minutes, when I was looking last year, range was an issue. (Not sure what it’s like now)

That’s a non-stop drive in an ID3 Tour (albeit somewhat close). All ID cars recharge at a rate of around 100 miles per 15 minutes for the first 30 minutes (5% to 80% battery in 30 minutes). I think the Kona has 100kw charging too, so the numbers would be roughly similar for that.

Realistically, with the ID3/3 and Kona, there’s no range issues anymore. People often just see “fully charged in 90 minutes”, which isn’t what you do with an EV – If you have, lets say, 350 mile round trip, you charge it full at home, set off, and after 250 miles you charge for 15 minutes to get the range home and plug it back in overnight.

I understand range anxiety etc (as that is/was a problem for myself too) – but as i said, realistically an ID3 is slightly less convenient than a dinosaur muncher because you have to sit somewhere for 10-15 minutes while you top up (up to 30 minutes if you need 200 miles over nominal range) – but that gets more than balanced by the upside of the money saved. In my opinion. At least for now, until the troglodytes in the government start to put thumb screws on EV drivers too.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Electric, Petrol or Extend
Your information: