Electric Cars, Could we see a changing of the guard?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145334 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Just a thought. Kia Renault and Hyundai are receiving rave reviews, VW, BMW and Mercedes less so and with the likes of Tesla and the Chinese developing new technology and the likes of Ford lagging, who will be the sought after brands come 2030?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145339 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

If you find the answer to that I’ve got a fiver here to spend on the stock market. 😊

#145343 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

The next 10 years will be very interesting and hopefully, a bright future awaits.

I see a few issues, that all the manufacturers need to address:  Tesla’s new approach of only servicing the car when the car needs it seems to make loads of sense, but they don’t have dealers to keep happy, the Hyundai Kona has a 10k service interval!!!

Hyundai/Kia seems to have the efficiency sorted, have some great cars already and also in the pipeline, the pricing structure is also in my opinion better, the European companies just seem to want to charge extra for anything and everything.  They also have class leading warranties, that at least give peace of mind with new tech, if they can increase the quality levels of the interiors, I think they’ll be hard to beat.

The Chinese, have some great ideas, but don’t seem (In MG’s case at least) to have the technical support/repairs/fix networks over here, that would need to be addressed if they want to make inroads into Europe

The Europeans (BMW, MB, VAG, PSA, JLR, GM) are a bit behind the curve, but making progress, some quite rapidly in PSA’s case, and seem to be all looking at an electric future, I’ve no doubt they’ll catch up in the end, but I think their pricing structures will have to drop, as people get used to what the Koreans are already offering.

The Japanese will carry on making great cars, and no doubt they’ll be quirky

Ford and Tesla, who knows, but Tesla if they can get mass market cars out there have the name for EV’s and could remain a dominant force

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#145353 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

Tbh, I think that in 3-5 years all the underlying tech will be shared/copied/back-engineered etc and most differentiation will be along the same lines as with ICE.  The Chinese are, on one hand, similar to Japan of the 60s/70s where they are offering a lot for not much and slowly growing a good value reputation, but on the other hand they have such a huge home market to feed plus politically they’re perhaps not as accepted by Western markets?

Interestingly, I’ve just read an AutoExpress article that came up in my feed that was talking about Nissan and whether they gained an early adopter advantage from the Leaf? One of the points raised was that in terms of new models etc you might think not but that the real advantage is in the decade of data they already have, pertaining to EV manufacture, supply, servicing etc.

#145359 Reply
    Richard

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Interesting that one brand in China has a semi automated booths you can book into at any time & they literally swap the entire battery out for one with more charge. Process takes about 3 minutes & you only pay for the difference in charge between the 2 batteries.</p>
    Imho that is genius, also eliminates the dying battery issue too, probably never work here in the west due to pay, conditions & cultural mindset. If they managed to fully automate it instead of having 1 employee drive the car in & push buttons maybe….

#145530 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

I know it won’t be the UK and Europe as leaders, and probably not the USA, you only have to look at who is leading the World technologically and economically and production wise.  It may not necessarily be Hyundai though, it could possibly be a Chinese company (with a projected 2billion population – compare that to the UK of 60 million, with the EU half that of China).

I think you may also get a two-tier system developing with Europe/UK v China/Asia; with the best models with the best technology being in China/Asia. We can see with the allocation of models by Hyundai to Europe of its Ioniq 5 – it was about 3,000 models to the whole of Europe; Europe is not seen as a large market or worth the hassle and as the incomes grow in China and Asia then they will have more buying power to justify companies focussing production in these new areas.

Europe will probably keep trading barriers high to protect its own car industry, which will not be able to compete with the likes of China in 10 years time.  Germany has only marginally been capable of competing due to it being in the Euro.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #145339 in Electric Cars, Could we see a changing of the guard?
Your information: