DWP sanctions system discriminated against disabled people for a decade, figures

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar joss 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #83814 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

The government’s mainstream benefit sanctions regime has been discriminating against disabled people throughout nearly the whole of the last decade, according to new figures secured by Disability News Service (DNS).

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) figures, obtained through a freedom of information request, show that disabled people claiming the mainstream jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) were more likely to have their benefits sanctioned than non-disabled people in all but two years.

The figures show this has been true for every year from 2009 to 2018, except for 2017 and 2018 when the figures for disabled and non-disabled JSA claimants were almost identical.

They provide further evidence for the call in the Justice for Jodey Whiting petition for DWP to be declared institutionally disablist and not fit for purpose*.

The DNS research builds on work by the academic Ben Baumberg Geiger, from the University of Kent, which was published in February 2018 and reported figures for 2010 to 2014.

It has taken DNS nearly 18 months to secure the necessary data from DWP – which has repeatedly breached its legal obligations to provide the information – to show whether the discrimination continued after 2014.

DWP sanctions system discriminated against disabled people for a decade, figures show

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #83825 Reply
    joss
    Participant

They provide further evidence for the call in the Justice for Jodey Whiting petition for DWP to be declared institutionally disablist and not fit for purpose*

Sorry. Not fit for purpose is now a banned phrase according to the new leader of the House commons.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#84316 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Don’t expect it to get any better under the Chocolate Tea Pot Party formerly known as The Labour Party as I’ve been on to my Labour MP a few times about the treatment I got from the DWP before winning my case in court and my MP’s statement was “It’s terrible isn’t it”.

No crap, and not a word in what they would do about it or even complaining about it.

#84319 Reply
    joss
    Participant

who is your MP ChrisK ?

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/social-security/

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#84439 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

HI joss

It used to be Dawn Primarolo and she was not bad and she help me out on a few things when I first became disabled but she retired getting on for 10 years ago and now we have some one called Karin Smyth and she is the reason I renamed Labour as the chocolate teapot party.

Not only that and not wanting to sound bias in anyway but she got the job as our MP simply because she’s a woman as they wanted more women in the party and that’s fine but not when there installed just because of their sex while there were others more capable of doing the job.

I admit I’ve got a nastiness bit of a streak in me towards Westminster MP’s of all parties since being put through the DWP PIP mangle in 2017 and will never change my mind about them for the few years I have left on this planet and I know I shouldn’t tar everyone with the same brush but they all seemed to endorse what that twat David Cameroon was doing including the Lib-Dem henchmen though some may have had a tiny bit of concern but they still went ahead murdering disabled folk who were unable to defend themselves.

Who’s knows in 50 years time when were all long gone they may make an apology in Parliament as they seem to do with just about everyone else but British people.

#84466 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Mmm not a fan of shipping in new MP’s to safe seats. Regardless of sex. At least she is local.

However if I got that reply from my MP I would be writing back and asking then to fully explain their reply, and ask what they did in way of intervention in your case.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: DWP sanctions system discriminated against disabled people for a decade, figures

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: