Driving Hand Controls push pull with my Hyundai 71 Reg Car

• Creator
    Topic
  • #181277 Reply
    Richard Bowler

Hi all I have Left Hemplegia Cerebral Palsy I can only drive Automatic with Hand Control and Sterring Wheel Knob . I’ve heard on the grapevine that it’s dangerous to have hand controls with is it an AMT Gearbox Puzzed and Confused Please Help!!!!

Kind Regards All xxx

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #181299 Reply
    Richard Bowler

I have an I10 forgot to say above Cheers x

#181309 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Richard

I have to drive using my right-hand and right leg only but since becoming disabled have only driven full automatics.

My understanding of AMT boxes is there still automatic but without a clutch pedal so can’t see why that would be any more dangerous than a full auto. That said, do you still need to select each gear, if so it could be a problem because you have to let go of the steering wheel to change gear but I’m only seeing this from my point of my disability.

To be rest assured Motability might be the best people to ask, I was going to suggest the government disabled driver centres that I used for this type of information years ago that used to be dotted all over the UK but can’t find them now, no surprises there.

Good luck.

#181332 Reply
    Lee Bengough

I’ve driven Citroën SensoDrive and EGS6 gearboxes with Hand Controls never had any issues.

#181334 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

I understand that the clutch determines if a car is auto or not. In that if you physically control (with a clutch pedal) the clutch it is a manual. If the vehicle does the clutch, it is automatic.

I used to have hand controls on a manual car but I didn’t do the clutch so it was considered auto.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Driving Hand Controls push pull with my Hyundai 71 Reg Car
Your information: