Driving a Electric car in adverse conditions

• This topic has 20 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #160653 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Just wondering what a EV is like in adverse conditions compared to a ICE vehicle, ie snow and ice. Given that EVs have instant torque that reviews seem to rave about that helps 0 to 60 time’s, will it be a problem when you don’t need it. 😁</p>

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #160655 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Apparently you can drive an EV under water as long as everything is watertight because EV don’t need oxygen to perform.😀

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ChrisK.
    #160659 Reply
    Brydo

Fastbike before I get involved in this thread can I ask if you are pro, anti or neutral with regard to EVs. I’ve no interest in getting involved in some sort of anti ev thread which, to be honest, are getting a bit tedious.

#160661 Reply
    Rhodgie

Absolutely fine in bad weather.

The instant torque is also controlled by how hard you press the pedal as well as the traction control, the extra weight being spread out over the floor of the car helps distribute it better than a bug lump up front.

Then you can add in an app or a timer (most models but not all?) for preheating to make mornings more pleasant, if your lucky enough you can have a 4×4 EV which has none of the normal downsides of an ICE 4×4 like the extra weight, fuel and maintenance costs normally associated with a 4×4.

7 winters so far and I’d take my EV out every time before an ICE.

#160666 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Fastbike before I get involved in this thread can I ask if you are pro, anti or neutral with regard to EVs. I’ve no interest in getting involved in some sort of anti ev thread which, to be honest, are getting a bit tedious.

Why does it make any difference. At the end of the day I’m currently anti EV but only from the perspective that with the journey’s I make an EV doesn’t not suit me atm. That will obviously change in the coming years as battery technology and the charging network improve. I am however interested in listening to answers on this excellent question.

#160667 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

No it’s genuine question brydo. My next car will be a BEV if and only if a BEV comes on the scheme in the next 2 years that suits my needs.

#160671 Reply
    Brydo

Just don’t want to get into any ev nonsense Elliot. Fastbike has said he has an interest in getting an ev in the future and that’s good enough for me but can’t be bothered arguing the same old anti ev rhetoric.

#160673 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The issue here is simply people not understanding what torque is.

That’s okay. No, EVs (apart from the obvious battery problem) don’t have an issue on snow and ice. Which is easily checked on youtube.

Lets take this question ad absurdum. A Taycan Turbo S has what, 760bhp and 1000nm. If that car would leave with all the power and torque at the traffic light, regardless of throttle position, then you’d just see clouds of tyre smoke. On all traffic lights.

It’s of course nonsense. An EV has instant max torque. Not instant max power. Why you’d think that you can’t “softly” roll off with an EV is beyond me.

#160674 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Just don’t want to get into any ev nonsense Elliot. Fastbike has said he has an interest in getting an ev in the future and that’s good enough for me but can’t be bothered arguing the same old anti ev rhetoric.

The EV nonsense last week actually came from an EV supporter.

#160675 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Absolutely fine in bad weather. The instant torque is also controlled by how hard you press the pedal as well as the traction control, the extra weight being spread out over the floor of the car helps distribute it better than a bug lump up front. Then you can add in an app or a timer (most models but not all?) for preheating to make mornings more pleasant, if your lucky enough you can have a 4×4 EV which has none of the normal downsides of an ICE 4×4 like the extra weight, fuel and maintenance costs normally associated with a 4×4. 7 winters so far and I’d take my EV out every time before an ICE.

Cheers for that.

I’ve never driven a BEV or anything close. The reason I’ve asked is I live halfway up a pretty steep hill on a rural lane. The gritting is a bit haphazard at times, my X1 Xdrive can’t always make it.

#160677 Reply
    brydo

Elliot no need, no need!

We can all get on just fine if we want, so let’s “want”

#160679 Reply
    Tim

Low centre of gravity probably lends itself quite well to wet conditions

#160681 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

I’m getting fatter by the day 😭🤣

So that’ll help me in this scenario if I ever make the switch ( which I’d be keen on ) to a car powered by the farts of Zeus himself ⚡️

When life hands you melons...,
    Make melonade!

#160683 Reply
    Tim

Too much can introduce excessive aquaplaning, but I bet it’ll be nice to feel lighter for a change.

#160692 Reply
    sif

My kona  has michelin climate+ s they seem to be the weapon of choice for better traction, performance in snow and mud. No wheelspin with them even if you floor it, at least not in average driving conditions. Like has been said wheel spin is largely optional.

#160695 Reply
    Tim

I think the potential wheel spin also varies massively by electric vehicle models. Hyundai and Kia are deliberately dialled back on the throttle response on take off. Tesla, Audi and BMW however…

#160696 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

As mentioned somewhere above. Traction Control. All modern cars have it. It’s what stops wheels losing grip. Irrelevant whether it’s electric or ICE, make or model. It controls the torque.

#160704 Reply
    Ian

I3s no better no worse than ice in snow for me.

#160723 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Just wondering what a EV is like in adverse conditions compared to a ICE vehicle, ie snow and ice. Given that EVs have instant torque that reviews seem to rave about that helps 0 to 60 time’s, will it be a problem when you don’t need it. 😁</p>

Front wheel drive ICE tend to be better than rear wheel drives in adverse weather conditions especially in the snow, I would imagine it would be same for EV.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#163881 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

This fits in well with this thread, start at about 18 minutes in for the real test.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/531666/tesla-models-plaid-deep-water/

#163882 Reply
    ajn

There’s no them and us here 👍

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Driving a Electric car in adverse conditions
Your information: