Drivers will be offered £3,000 ‘credit’ to give up cars

• Creator
    Topic
  • #140692 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Motorists are to be given up to £3,000 to replace their cars with greener forms of transport.

Drivers in built-up areas with the most polluting cars will receive public money to abandon their vehicle for ‘credits’.

These will be used on alternative modes of transport such as bicycles and electric scooters but will also work on congestion-easing forms like public transport, car clubs and taxis.

It is hoped that the move will reduce car dependency in major cities.

The scheme will be trialled for two years in Coventry this spring, targeted at those with diesel cars built before 2016 and petrol motors before 2006, according to The Times.

Motorists in the area who agree to have their car towed away for the duration of the trial will be given between £1,500 and £3,000 to spend on alternative transport.

The West Midlands scheme is being paid for as part of a £22million ‘future transport’ initiative funded by the government.

Andy Street, the West Midlands mayor, said: ‘We have a number of candidates lined up in Coventry following a public appeal for volunteers last year and are putting processes in place to allow them to scrap their old cars in exchange for transport credits later this spring.’

A similar programme could also take place in Hampshire, where the county council is pondering a ‘mobility credit scheme’ for residents who agree to give up their car for good.

Though the miles dropped in 2020 due to the pandemic, in 2019 vehicles collectively covered 365.5billion miles – 278.2 of which were cars and taxis – representing an increase of almost 11 percent in five years.

Xavier Brice, chief executive of cycling and walking charity Sustrans, said: ‘It is great to see local authorities considering new ways to reduce car dependency, including mobility credit.

Better, more affordable, public transport is critical to combating air pollution and climate change.’

He said car use accounted for most of the roadside air pollution and carbon emissions.

However, AA president Edmund King pointed out that the ‘bizarre’ initiative came at a time when many car companies have committed to going electric.

Earlier this week Ford pledged to only sell electric cars in Europe by 2030.

He said: ‘The money would probably be better spent on providing electric charging points for those without off-street parking rather than giving mobility credits for services that people will use when they need to or feel safe to.’

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140693 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

So they are now actively discouraging car ownership, So i guess it’s now not a conspiracy theory.

#140698 Reply
    martinod

public transport is so unreliable , bikes are no good its to for to travel on a bike

#140699 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

So they are now actively discouraging car ownership, So i guess it’s now not a conspiracy theory.

Yeah they give you credits or vouchers i guess to be spent on bikes public transport and even taxi’s even on electric scooters. but they not so good when its cold and wet and there’s also us the people with mobility issues my days of doing that are over.. Plus covid and being safe in your own car and it’s ok if you on your own what about families a trip to see my family in london would cost me alot more getting the train than us all going in the car. Crazy really how they rollout these things to get people out of cars totally..

#140700 Reply
    MickC

#140701 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Great movie that…

#140704 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Three grand would just about cover 18 months of taxi to do shopping. After that it would be back to home delivery. Well, thanks, Boris – just when we might be getting near a normal way of going about things, I have to go into a different type of lockdown. Can’t ride a bicycle; very difficult/dangerous getting on/off buses; can’t walk more than 10m.  GP surgery, local shops, etc., all about a mile away from house… I assume the government plans to bring in jet-boots for us all!

#140707 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Hard to see how this would work. What would stop anyone buying a replacement car?

#140708 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

If you used the cash to buy a replacement car, Boris would hunt you down and kill you.

#140721 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Three grand would just about cover 18 months of taxi to do shopping. After that it would be back to home delivery. Well, thanks, Boris – just when we might be getting near a normal way of going about things, I have to go into a different type of lockdown. Can’t ride a bicycle; very difficult/dangerous getting on/off buses; can’t walk more than 10m. GP surgery, local shops, etc., all about a mile away from house… I assume the government plans to bring in jet-boots for us all!

Indeed they don’t seem to include us with mobility issues in any of the plans like the ones to close roads and access because of covid, which imo is just an excuse for rolling stuff out to go so called green, but with no regard to the actual cost and practicality for many.

People behind desks who imo are very anti car dream up these schemes and have no idea, The smart motorway rollout sticks out as another example. As most peoplewhen asked say they is a dangerous stupid idea, but still they backing it.. Smart means something else imo.. as we roll towards 2030 more will come to light of the stance of the goverments and the rollout of the un agenda 21, paris climate agreement etc.. In which it’s states the driver must pay for the demise of the car and in our parliment they ask the govermnet what they are doing to meet the un directives and to impliment them.

#140722 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Hard to see how this would work. What would stop anyone buying a replacement car?

Nothing i would guess…

If you used the cash to buy a replacement car, Boris would hunt you down and kill you.

he would not catch you, uyou only have to look at how poor track and trace was.. Maybe though the ai will..

#140724 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Nothing i would guess…

he would not catch you, you only have to look at how poor track and trace was.. Maybe though the ai will..

#140726 Reply
    Harry

3k wont last long. 30k then we can get around the negotiating table.

#140728 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

will be given between £1,500 and £3,000 to spend on alternative transport.

They will be given between £1,500 and £3,000 to spend on alternative transport. So some won’t get the full 3k and it has to last 2 years..

I wonder also where all this free money is coming from seeing as soon, we will all will findout the goverment has got to loan another £60,000,000,000 due to lost revenue and the blackhole caused this tax year from lockdowns and covid restrictions etc.

#140729 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Hmmm. I wonder if a hovercraft/air-cushion vehicle count as a car? I mean, no wheels, after all. Having driven a couple, I have to agree with Clarkson, “Most fun you can have with clothes on”, Happy to float down to Waitrose in one of these, thank you. Please send money now, Boris.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Drivers will be offered £3,000 ‘credit’ to give up cars
Your information: