Drivers failing to meet their eye test responsibilities

• Creator
    Topic
  • #170746 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Drivers are failing to have regular eye tests to ensure they are not a risk on the road, a survey by Venson Automotive Solutions suggests.

It found that 40% of respondents have not had an eye test within the past two years – the maximum recommended period between tests.

If a driver is stopped by police and found to be unable to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’, they could receive a £1,000 fine or points on their licence, but most are likely to have their licence removed.

While it is not a legal requirement for drivers to update the DVLA if they have been prescribed corrective glasses or contact lenses since they passed their driving test, the Venson survey showed that one in three responsible drivers had taken it upon themselves to do so.

Other conditions affecting vision may need to be reported including anxiety, high blood pressure, depression and diabetes* and could mean they cannot legally drive certain types of vehicles, particularly lorries and buses.

“Leaving more than two years between eye tests puts drivers at risk of being unsafe on the road because eyesight can deteriorate rapidly within that time,” said Alison Bell, marketing director for Venson Automotive Solutions.

“Anyone can be stopped by the police and be asked to take a roadside sight test, regardless of whether the DVLA is aware of a health condition that affects your eyesight.

“Failing that test can have serious consequences and may leave someone without a licence and unable to drive. For someone who needs to drive for work, the consequences are extensive.”

Bell says that fleet operators have a duty of care to ensure their drivers are safe on the road, and that includes meeting the required standards of vision for driving.

“If a fleet driver is found to be unable to meet the required standards of vision the company could be liable as well as the driver, and the driver may not be able to continue driving,” she added

“Therefore, it is in the best interests of the fleet operator as well as the driver to ensure eye tests are carried out at least every two years and that drivers always wear any corrective glasses or contact lenses they require.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170752 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i have glasses for driving or i can use my bifocals. my distance isnt particularly bad but not quite good enough. i actually need to get another just for fact its over 2 yrs now, but with covid, im not mixing so it will have to wait a little.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#170771 Reply
    joss

I just had my annual eye test 4 days ago. I have been told that I have early stage cataracts!.. In my right eye.

The ophthalmitis said I was still able to meet the required distance to read a number plate. I am a diabetic so already on a restrictive license.

Bummer…

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#170776 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

To be fair, what point is great eyesight if then car manufacturers go ahead and make sure that in twilight and night you can’t see diddlysquat anymore because oncoming headlights halo in the stupid copper-wiring in the windshield.

There’s a few options we have that i don’t need but don’t care, but i never, ever would buy a car again that comes with a heated windscreen baked into the spec. It’s the one option that does the exact opposite of what it’s supposed to do. In three years i never had to scratch the window once, never had the heated screen on (the front – of course the back went on a few times to defog).

Sorry for the offtopic rant, had to go shopping earlier (all lit roads) and it’s foggy, the halos become so big that it’s virtually impossible to drive safely.

Only a few months ago i went to the optician because of that issue, i thought something was wrong with my eyes (night-blind or something), but turns out my eyes are perfectly fine. 40% is surprising though, judging by how the majority around here (rural south wales) drives, they never had an eye examination and are legally blind.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#170795 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

We have a heated front screen in the XC40. First time I”ve had one and I find it useful on occasion.  I’ve never experienced the effect you mention Rene and have noticed modern LED headlights have much better beam control than older cars and even though they are brighter they dazzle less.

#170834 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

We have a heated front screen in the XC40. First time I”ve had one and I find it useful on occasion. I’ve never experienced the effect you mention Rene and have noticed modern LED headlights have much better beam control than older cars and even though they are brighter they dazzle less.

That’s technically true, but not here where i live. If you live in a “flat” area, yes. LED headlights have a sharp “cut-off”, but we live in a hilly (rural) area with a lot of crests. This inevitably leads to the problem that you constantly drive through the beam when someone else comes over the crest.

LEDs only dazzle less because of mentioned sharp “cut off”. If they shine straight into your car/face (which they do constantly here), they’re worse than any other beam, be it Halogen or Xenon. That leads to said halo effect. I certainly am very happy that our next car does not have a heated screen.

That was just an off-topic rant, really, though, since i did drive through a foggy night yesterday, constantly getting blinded.

#170853 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well Rene. I can only reiterate I have none of the problems you describe. Perhaps the Volvo windscreen is different although if I look for the wires I can see them.

And I live in Dorset which like South Wales has no flat areas. I regularly drive cross country through Somerset  to Bristol and return after dark with nothing but hills all the way, and although it’s a slow and tedious journey, dazzle from headlights isn’t any more of a problem than it ever was driving other cars.

#170858 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

There can be so many reasons for that, for starters as you mentioned, different wires/system. I know i don’t need to “look” for the wires in the windscreen, they’re immediately visible every time i get into the car – and even on video.

In regards to the “they’re brighter but dazzle less”.. Brightness is the property that determines the “amount of dazzle”. A brighter headlight will always dazzle more than a less bright one if you get hit by it, beam control doesn’t matter if it shines directly into the cabin. That by itself wasn’t the argument anyway, i certainly am not complaining about LED headlamps, i wouldn’t give ours up for anything.

I am talking about the halo they create when hit by light. It doesn’t even need to be headlights, when it’s raining a normal street light creates reasonably sized halos.

edit: to reiterate, i went to the optician because i thought it’s my eyesight going, and it’s not. My wife has the same problem, too.

#170859 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Then perhaps it’s the windsçreen in your SEAT.  Are you sure the glass is perfectly clean inside and out and clear of anything that might cause the effect?  Seems strange to me ..

#170867 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i had a heated screen in my cmax. it was very good and was extremely difficult to see the wires. think ford invented it and at one time were only company doing them. i see more companies do them now so either the patent ran out or they are now licencing it.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#170875 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

FWIW the previous three scheme cars I’ve had – 2 Superbs, 1 Mini – have had heating elements in front screen. Never had this halo-effect. Current T-Roc does not have it. Sad. Very useful in frosty weather.

Like Joss, I have early stage cataracts so, when I do not have to self-isolate, get eye test once a year. Or sooner if I think the issue is causing a problem.

T-Roc has the LED lights. They don’t seems sharper on cut-off. The look like they are pitched a bit high on dipped setting, although I have not received any flashes from other motorists, Worryingly, there is no driver adjustment available. All done “automatically”, by the beast’s computer(s). Hmmm. Will have to ask dealer to check it.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Drivers failing to meet their eye test responsibilities
Your information: