Does anyone with an EV have solar?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #156023 Reply
    Brydo

Does anyone with an EV have solar and if so do you have a charger that allows you to automatically use this energy to charge your car?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #156037 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

The new Ioniq 5 has the option to have a solar roof, but looks like that won’t as yet be a UK option sadly

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/hyundais-new-electric-car-has-a-solar-panel-roof-and-the-ability-to-charge-other-evs

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#156074 Reply
    Ian

I have an Ev and also Solar, unfortunately I have a dumb charger so I need to manually setup solar charging.

I started making the effort this year to charge using solar and I have saved a small amount of money.

Be aware that solar charging is only possible when the sun is shining and the car is available.

That said its fairly good for topping up.

#156078 Reply
    brydo

Chargers are what I wanted to talk about Ian, there are so many out there, and improving month after month. I was wondering how those with solar where choosing which charger to go for.

#156080 Reply
    Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Zappi chargers seem to be the ones reccomended for solar.</p>

#156083 Reply
    Mike

Are you considering changing the XC40 for an EV Brydo?

#156089 Reply
    brydo

Put my order in on Tuesday Mike.

#156094 Reply
    Mike

What have you ordered? I have a Tiguan 1.5 dsg struggling to get 30mpg driving normally. I want to change for Kona or ID3 but not sure if this is an acceptable reason to motablilty for an early termination.

#156126 Reply
    Brydo

XC40 inscription pro PHEV  Mike September delivery.

#156129 Reply
    Mike

Just out of interest how did you get to change your car after a couple of months for the same model ?

#156132 Reply
    Brydo

Mike if i told you I’d have to kill you lol.

#156133 Reply
    Brydo

Mike give them a call, if you experiencing difficulties running the car due to excessive fuel costs I’m sure they will let you change.

#157858 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Given the current auction prices of nearly new desirable cars, like the XC40, I suspect Motability will turn a profit on your old one, Brydo.

Good to see you got offered September delivery , while some dealers are saying November or December.  I’m convinced they are saying this to put off Motability orders in favour of more profitable PCP deals.

#157859 Reply
    Tim

Mike, I have a cancellation fee waiver for the exact same reason and the exact same vehicle 😂 Small world! Motability we’re brilliant and I’m free to change at anytime with a pro rata refund of the AP when I do. New AP goes to dealer at handover as they know the money is coming direct from Motability.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Does anyone with an EV have solar?
Your information: