Do you know whats stupid about EV's?

This topic contains 46 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #79882 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

If you know nothing about electric cars wouldn’t you think you would be able to go to any fast charger,then with your contactless card just plug in and swipe,sit in your car and have a sandwich?

NO you can’t!

All the different charging networks with all their different charging plugs want you to have an account,and app. Sometimes even a monthly subscription.

You’d think when the big petrol station chains fit a charging station they do it just like petrol but no they do it this stupid way as well.

Government needs to bang their heads together!

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #79885 Reply

joss
    Participant

RAC Electric car charging- Everything you need to know.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#79890 Reply

solent60
    Participant

I know this is a video from 2015 – but I reckon a lot of the same old problems still exist. And I can’t help think that I would be the same in an electric car – always looking at how much charge I had left!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0f0_hqWdTk

#79894 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Wow, could have gone in a small diesel and got 80 mpg.

So it took twice as long and used twice as much fuel, not counting the amount of stress that journey would have been to him, never mind one of us crips who would be screwed if we broke down + how stress affects most folks with a disability, I’ll stick to my diesel motors for a while yet.

#79902 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Solent 60 that’s just a ridiculous YouTube clip to use, 2015 until now, there is no comparison between the number of charging stations then and now. Using outdated information only exacerbates peoples fears, unfounded in many cases, of range anxiety. Of course have your own views and personal choices but posting such an outdated clip is misleading.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#79903 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

I don’t know!

I live right in the middle of this charging dessert!

Notice some say “commando”? That is just a caravan socket to the layman.

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#79904 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

But this is the reason why people love Tesla so much you get in a Tesla it shows you where all the charging points are, you drive up, plugin and that’s if it. It knows your car from the system you don’t have to do anything else. Plus you can do that right across Europe you could drive from here to Paris without any trouble.

East Yorkshire.

#79906 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Same here in Wakefield, no way I could rely on public charging and as I don’t have off street parking any more it’s a non starter for me.

#79908 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Pity Tesla cars are so ugly

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#79909 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Shawn if you look on this link at the same location you have given there are many more chargers than you screenshot shows.

Map of UK electric car charging points

This gives the current number of charging points in the uk

There is also live chat on this site relating to chargers that are working etc.

#79911 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Vinalspin i agree your area is pretty poor with only 6 or 7 in your area.

#79917 Reply

solent60
    Participant

Solent 60 that’s just a ridiculous YouTube clip to use, 2015 until now, there is no comparison between the number of charging stations then and now. Using outdated information only exacerbates peoples fears, unfounded in many cases, of range anxiety. Of course have your own views and personal choices but posting such an outdated clip is misleading.

Brydo ; I appreciate your championing the EV market – something you do on a daily basis of course. As you say – have your own views & personal choices by all means.

But many of us do not live in an area where there are many – if any – charge points. Add to that that many of us do not have a driveway on which to park a car & plug it in to recharge from the house supply. There is no way (for example) that I could have cables running 50 ft across a public pavement & green to my nearest parking spot on the street! My local council have said they plan to retro fit charge points to street lampposts in the coming years. I won’t hold my breath on that one!

That Youtube clip may well be out of date… but it still applies to a lot of people in this day & age. This country lags far behind the rest of Europe when it comes to EV’s/charging points and until some serious investment by the government is implemented on places outside the big cites then not much will change in the very near future.

Then, of course, there are those of us who at this exact point in time do not want an electric vehicle in the foreseeable future! One day – yes perhaps. But right now, if it doesn’t have a big slab of petrol or diesel engine under the bonnet – I’m not interested! 🙂

#79919 Reply

ian

I get the EV scepticism but a fact you cannot argue with is the cost saving………roughly £3 for 200miles verses how much?? £20/£25……

For this sort of saving and can’t help thinking you find a way to get the vehicle charged rather than its all too hard!

#79921 Reply

solent60
    Participant

As I say – each to their own.

Electric cars have advantages of fast acceleration, lower maintenance costs, and lower fuel cost. But the fuel cost advantage will narrow when governments impose vehicle and fuel taxes as electric car penetration grows. Electric car deficiencies are major, including high purchase price, short driving range, small carrying capacity, lack of charging stations, long charging times, and expensive battery packs that need to be replaced during the life of the vehicle.

Battery electric vehicles comprised only 0.8 percent of the 86 million cars and light trucks sold globally in 2017. There is a reason for that.

#79923 Reply

mzmps
    Participant

Vinalspin,

We are only a few miles apart, when you think of the traffic up and down the M1/A1, then across the M62 every day in the area and no charging points. An electric might be ok for some trips I may take, but as can be seen you can go for miles and miles without a charging point anywhere near you, so hybrid is best option to pure petrol or diesel for many of us.

Just looked at the RAV4, likes it personally, but waiting times, into March next year already, without further delays, so gone for Ateca Petrol instead. Pick it up in a week, as got stock and didn’t care about colour, Tesla and many others that might be big enough and have range not on scheme even if not living in charging desert.

#79924 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Solent that’s perfectly fine for you to prefer diesel or petrol the point I am making is using a clip from 4 years ago is not relevant to the situation today. As can be seen from posts on the forum some people want to change to an EV but are unsure as they are worried about charging, I want them to have as much current and accurate information as I, and others, can get so they can make an informed decision.

#79926 Reply

solent60
    Participant

Solent that’s perfectly fine for you to prefer diesel or petrol the point I am making is using a clip from 4 years ago is not relevant to the situation today. As can be seen from posts on the forum some people want to change to an EV but are unsure as they are worried about charging, I want them to have as much current and accurate information as I, and others, can get so they can make an informed decision.

I guess I’m just going to have to take my place as the Jeremy Clarkson of the forum! 😀

#79927 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Not at all Solent we all have different opinions and that’s great, healthy in fact, and I take a lot of your points on board but we are moving at a pace never witnessed in the car industry before and a lot of your concerns are being removed/reduced on a regular basis.

#79937 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Mzmps, I regularly get stuck in that car park of a motorway hub and if say in winter driving an electric car you would still need the wipers/heater etc to be running for what can be hours on end and then only having a small range and hardly anywhere to charge the car especially as I would have to either wait in the car or find somewhere to charge with facilities for me to sit and wait in comfort very very close whilst it charged up(it would be hours because I would have to fully charge it with having no home charging) all adds up to ruling one out for me at least for the next car and possibly the one after.

As to the cost savings, if you get one on here that suits your needs then pitted against a normal engine car you will save money(for now, EV tax strategy will soon rear it’s head) but as a normal non lease customer the savings you could make over 3 years are far outweighed by the huge price difference to an equivalent petrol/diesel car.

#79945 Reply

mzmps
    Participant

vinalspin.

At one point I made reasonably regular trips East to West coast and sometimes back in same day, not something an EV would cope with. Also, the batteries they use don’t cope well with the cold, losing significant percentages in usable power/range.

It gets cold up on Saddleworth Moor and many of the other passes close for at least one day a year, no way I would chance that in an electric car. Luckily nearer home, Snow Hill, in Wakefield hardly ever sees any.

#79962 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I spend just about every lunchtime in Costa at Snow Hill.  ?☕️?☕️?

#79979 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Extreme change requires extreme change!

EV’s will never be viable the way it is. Even if charge time is reduced to 20 mins or so, who can wait that long? You may as well walk.

In my eyes there are two solutions and both are drastic change to current thinking.

1) All manufacturers agree to use the same type of battery which are interchangeable. You drive in to a fuel station (like we do now), they take your battery out, new one in and away you go.

2) And this is drastic. Contactless charging on roads and at home. All roads have a charging system put in them that the cars use to charge as it drives. You pay on an app for an amount of charge (or in pay stations) and away you go. It’s possible but governments and manufacturers are being lazy.

The current way that electric cars are charged is not viable. Everyone knows this and I believe it is why all responsible are holding back making the current method of charging commonplace as they think/know it will need to be superseded in the near future.

The Jetsons are coming folks

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#79997 Reply

joss
    Participant

Scaleletric cars for the win

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#80060 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Rusty will this do.

If ever there were an argument for wireless charging, taxis may be it. And as with most things in electric cars, if there’s a way to demonstrate the technology in action, Norway may find it.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1123400_oslo-plans-to-recharge-electric-taxis-on-the-fly

#80073 Reply

philjb

What ever way you look at it for some of us it will never be as practical as filling up in 2-3 mins driving 500-600 miles without worry of will I make it.

Will the charge point be working and be of my type.

I can tell you living in London’s even on weekends, rows and rows of empty charge bays.

The only ones you see full are outside police stations fire stations, but they don’t move. It’s like it’s just for show/use of budget.

Most cars are petrol diesel and uber.

#80075 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Yes Phil we know, you are anti ev.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Do you know whats stupid about EV's?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: