Do you clean your car prior to handing back?

• This topic has 40 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Rene.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #181169 Reply
    sean1969
    Participant

Hi folks,

I am curious to find out what we all do prior to handing a car back.

In my case, my cars are treated like my own, cleaned every week, including hoovering and windows cleaned monthly, so when I hand it back, I just give it a once over.

Nobody smokes, drinks or eats in the car, so it is as fresh as when I collected it. Dealers always compliment the car when handing it back.

What’s everyones thoughts in how a car should be handed back? Should we just hand back dirty, smelly and full of rubbish, or do we take pride in our cars, if we can manage?

I do realise that not everyone can keep their cars clean due to motability issues, so I am not having a go at anyone, I am just curious!

Cheers

Current car 2019 Ford Kuga 1.5T Titanium X Edition (White)

On order new Vauxhall Grandland Ultimate 1.2 Turbo (Ruby Red)

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #181663 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I got a vax VPW3C 2200w powerwash 2 about 9 years ago in one of their closed sales after my donkeys old petrol one packed in. It serves its purpose cleaning the back garden every year and for foaming the cars prior to washing. Although sometimes it to much faf to just get out to do the car, I ended getting a foaming lance to fit the hose pipe which I use the majority of the time.

I should do as @Rene does especially over winter and get someone in just to give it a wash as I suffer badly from Raynaud’s.

#181670 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Rene the Kranzle 1152 TST looks like an excellent piece of kit, however the cost I couldn’t justify for the amount of use, that Kartcher looks good though

Yeah understandable, it’s on the higher end. The entire family (parents in law, sister in law, son in law) uses it though, so in the end for us it sees enough use. It also weighs probably around 80lbs (everything brass on it, oil pump etc), that doesn’t help either.

I should do as @Rene does especially over winter and get someone in just to give it a wash as I suffer badly from Raynaud’s.

My wife suffers Raynauds too, i suffer from lazy-itis, in winter at least. In summer i don’t mind as much, but in winter as i said, we get a local guy out. Just google “mobile valet” and see what pops up around your area.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#181675 Reply
    Paul

Yes definitely I try to get it back spotless, The trouble with my last handover just about 3 weeks ago the day before my car went back we had the Sahara sand fall from the sky and didn’t have much time to clean the car as we would have liked 🤷🏼‍♂️.

#181676 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

For people in the cardiff/bridgend area. Pretty happy with these guys, they were at it for around 2.5 hours.

edit: didn’t realise the picture is that small, they’re called “JB’s mobile car valeting”.

#181716 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

For the first time I am struggling to keep the van clean but I am surprised how easy it is to hoover some car carpet us shocking to clean. but I confess to using a washer at the moment just because I hurt my back at Christmas  there is a local automated washer top wash for a van £6.99 then I get home and clean it properly this is when you wish you bought a smaller one and it has 4 dogs but that area is all protected and I take it out when wet then the wheel chair that can cause a mess. But 3 coats of wax after clay bar in the first few days of ownership and she stays pretty good

#181724 Reply
    Georgie

The Golf’s now positively gleaming in the Sunshine.  All ready to get rained on en route to being returned tomorrow.

Ah well.  One can but try.  And now it’s been properly waxed again the water just beads off.

DH appears to favour Meguiar’s products, plus Autosol for the shiny bits.  They certainly do the job!

#181725 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

For people in the cardiff/bridgend area. Pretty happy with these guys, they were at it for around 2.5 hours. edit: didn’t realise the picture is that small, they’re called “JB’s mobile car valeting”.

I’m a bit further west in Neath

#181726 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

For people in the cardiff/bridgend area. Pretty happy with these guys, they were at it for around 2.5 hours. edit: didn’t realise the picture is that small, they’re called “JB’s mobile car valeting”.

I’m a bit further west in Neath

That’s where we ordered the Golf GTE (Port Talbot), as well as one of the regular hospitals that we need to visit. Not sure if they drive so far out?

Maybe fire them a message on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/JBs-Mobile-Car-Valeting-105506634920302

#181727 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Sinclair group VW  did you get lost finding it lol. We looked at a Passat their on my last lease but decided on the Superb from the same group.  What mpg you getting out f the Ateca around town and on average.

#181728 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Yeah, Sinclair, and no, GPS led us straight there no problem. We did think that they won’t have many walk-in clients though.

We live rural, so there’s not much “around town” driving, but if we drive  up to the shops (a 2 mile trip roughly), it’s 30mpg in the current weather. Trips to Tesco/Asda etc (which are 30 miles in total) we settle around 44-47mpg, slightly more when it’s warm and a bit less when colder.

In case you’re looking at getting an Ateca though, don’t. Great car at the price we paid for it (£1700 AP), at twice that money, we’d go for something else.

edit: ah, average currently sits at 44mpg.

#181729 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Yeah, Sinclair, and no, GPS led us straight there no problem. We did think that they won’t have many walk-in clients though. We live rural, so there’s not much “around town” driving, but if we drive up to the shops (a 2 mile trip roughly), it’s 30mpg in the current weather. Trips to Tesco/Asda etc (which are 30 miles in total) we settle around 44-47mpg, slightly more when it’s warm and a bit less when colder. In case you’re looking at getting an Ateca though, don’t. Great car at the price we paid for it (£1700 AP), at twice that money, we’d go for something else.

No just curious we did look at the Ateca but we chose the Tuscon ICE and struggling to get above 28 in it and thats driving it gentle and I mean gentle. We went a run Porthcawl last week and I think I managed 35. They didn’t have the Fhev on the scheme and I didn’t fancy paying nearly £6k the PHEV as we would never recoup the money. Having said that on the Tuscon forums there saying they are only getting 38 out of the FHEV. Its been a long time since Ive had car that gets under 30 locally. Incidentally the same engine is in Sportage so just have to see what owners get when they have had them for a while.

#181730 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Yeah, Sinclair, and no, GPS led us straight there no problem. We did think that they won’t have many walk-in clients though. We live rural, so there’s not much “around town” driving, but if we drive up to the shops (a 2 mile trip roughly), it’s 30mpg in the current weather. Trips to Tesco/Asda etc (which are 30 miles in total) we settle around 44-47mpg, slightly more when it’s warm and a bit less when colder. In case you’re looking at getting an Ateca though, don’t. Great car at the price we paid for it (£1700 AP), at twice that money, we’d go for something else.

No just curious we did look at the Ateca but we chose the Tuscon ICE and struggling to get above 28 in it and thats driving it gentle and I mean gentle. We went a run Porthcawl last week and I think I managed 35. They didn’t have the Fhev on the scheme and I didn’t fancy paying nearly £6k the PHEV as we would never recoup the money. Having said that on the Tuscon forums there saying they are only getting 38 out of the FHEV. Its been a long time since Ive had car that gets under 30 locally. Incidentally the same engine is in Sportage so just have to see what owners get when they have had them for a while.

When I say local it normally down 2 junctions of the m4 and then down into Llansamlet.

#181732 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The drive from our place to Port Talbot (around 50 mile trip) we managed 45mpg (we checked since we wanted to compare with the Golf). With the GTE, 120mpg while hooning a bit (extended test drive home, including driving a more scenic route through Ogmore etc, eeking closer to 80ish miles).

Keep in mind the Sportage as well as the Tucson are bigger than the Ateca by quite a bit (also heavier), that’ll be visible on the bill at the pump.

What i will say, with the FHEV Sportage, we drove from Bridgend home and back (around 30 miles as mentioned) – and we settled at 42mpg, which i thought was a bit naff. That’s less than what we got out of the Ateca on the exact same route, at the same time of day (roughly), and exactly the same “driving style”. Which, coming to think of it, may come down to the fact that due to the Ateca being a rather well balanced car (you can throw it into corners), i rarely brake for corners – i did have to brake a lot more in the Sportage (and consequently, accelerate again) since it felt much more boaty.

#181734 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

The drive from our place to Port Talbot (around 50 mile trip) we managed 45mpg (we checked since we wanted to compare with the Golf). With the GTE, 120mpg while hooning a bit (extended test drive home, including driving a more scenic route through Ogmore etc, eeking closer to 80ish miles). Keep in mind the Sportage as well as the Tucson are bigger than the Ateca by quite a bit (also heavier), that’ll be visible on the bill at the pump. What i will say, with the FHEV Sportage, we drove from Bridgend home and back (around 30 miles as mentioned) – and we settled at 42mpg, which i thought was a bit naff. That’s less than what we got out of the Ateca on the exact same route, at the same time of day (roughly), and exactly the same “driving style”.

Yeh the Sportage hasn’t being out long so there not alot of info floating around yet but the Tuscon about a year and there is quite a few on the forums saying about the economy of the FHEV. I wanted to give the MG ZS long range a try but as the mrs said it was a bit small for our daughter and the boot wasn’t large enough. Any it will stop me getting speeding fines LOL

#181747 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The drive from our place to Port Talbot (around 50 mile trip) we managed 45mpg (we checked since we wanted to compare with the Golf). With the GTE, 120mpg while hooning a bit (extended test drive home, including driving a more scenic route through Ogmore etc, eeking closer to 80ish miles). Keep in mind the Sportage as well as the Tucson are bigger than the Ateca by quite a bit (also heavier), that’ll be visible on the bill at the pump. What i will say, with the FHEV Sportage, we drove from Bridgend home and back (around 30 miles as mentioned) – and we settled at 42mpg, which i thought was a bit naff. That’s less than what we got out of the Ateca on the exact same route, at the same time of day (roughly), and exactly the same “driving style”.

Yeh the Sportage hasn’t being out long so there not alot of info floating around yet but the Tuscon about a year and there is quite a few on the forums saying about the economy of the FHEV. I wanted to give the MG ZS long range a try but as the mrs said it was a bit small for our daughter and the boot wasn’t large enough. Any it will stop me getting speeding fines LOL

In all fairness, it’s a 1.5kwh battery, it’s more of a crutch than anything else.

Personally i think FHEV are completely naff, it’s either PHEV or electric for us. Anything else doesn’t really make much sense, and doesn’t really help much either in terms of economy. Never been impressed with the economy figures on mild/full hybrids.

Sadly, there’s no luck for you for a long time i’d think if you’re looking for a big EV. There’s not that many in the first place, and the few there are, won’t be on the scheme for a while. And once they do come to the scheme, they’ll be stupendously expensive – and on top of that, require a good amount of options to become really desirable. I’d assume the ID4 comes back eventually, maybe even the Enyaq, but that’s about it. The Nissan Ariya won’t (too expensive), the Ionic 5, well.. Probably not either, even though pricewise it would  just eek in. MB really needs to adjust there.

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
Reply To: Do you clean your car prior to handing back?
Your information: