Do you clean your car prior to handing back?

• This topic has 40 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Rene.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #181169 Reply
    sean1969
    Participant

Hi folks,

I am curious to find out what we all do prior to handing a car back.

In my case, my cars are treated like my own, cleaned every week, including hoovering and windows cleaned monthly, so when I hand it back, I just give it a once over.

Nobody smokes, drinks or eats in the car, so it is as fresh as when I collected it. Dealers always compliment the car when handing it back.

What’s everyones thoughts in how a car should be handed back? Should we just hand back dirty, smelly and full of rubbish, or do we take pride in our cars, if we can manage?

I do realise that not everyone can keep their cars clean due to motability issues, so I am not having a go at anyone, I am just curious!

Cheers

Current car 2019 Ford Kuga 1.5T Titanium X Edition (White)

On order new Vauxhall Grandland Ultimate 1.2 Turbo (Ruby Red)

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #181171 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

Always. Every car I have handed back was spotless.

I can’t do it myself anymore but £20 for a mini valet is a sound investment against your GCB.

#181172 Reply
    Rene

I take care of my stuff, including “my” car. Mentioned in the other thread, no eating, drinking or smoking in the car (neither me nor anyone else). Will also get washed before i’m giving it back, but someone mentioned he puts fuel in for the handover – that ain’t gonna happen. I had 11 miles in the tank when they gave it to us, that’s exactly the maximum i’ll give it back with.

I don’t have money to give away.

#181185 Reply
    Chris

Might be me who said that I only give them a few bars just so it’s actually drive able not on red

#181189 Reply
    joss

Much the same as others have said. No food or smoking No pets. Car is cleaned every week inside and out.

Run down fuel as much as possible.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#181191 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Might be me who said that I only give them a few bars just so it’s actually drive able not on red

Can’t remember who it was – but remember, most (all?) dealerships have a petrol pump on the property, or very close by. As long as it arrives there with 10 miles in the tank, they’ll be very fine.

It’s of course up to you and the dealership probably is gonna be happy about it, but don’t waste money on this.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#181203 Reply
    Jeff Schofield

We eat, drink and smoke in the car but each time we’ve handed the car in it’s cleaned by me. Not perfect but I make an effort though past the age of 25 (49 now) a car is just a functional means of transport so gets cleaned 3 or 4 times a year. Always had the full good condition bonus.

#181214 Reply
    Goldmember
    Participant

Always and I’d be ashamed of other motability customers who do not.

#181236 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

This will be my first exchange and although my dog travels in the car it’s had monthly deep cleans and valets. It will be completely spotless on handover as I’ll take it straight from the hand wash place to the dealership. My car is a luxury and it’s been well looked after during my 3 years with it.</p>

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Xz130.

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

#181242 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Will be returned after a good wash and clean inside, not a valet, but a proper wash.

#181246 Reply
    Jojoe

We do usually wash and vacuum it, but last one went back filthy on the outside, inside was cleaned and vacuumed but local car wash was closed due to Covid. Was that bad, I had a pair of beige jeans on and there were dirt marks on the back of my shin area from the sill of the car. I was sat in the dealership picking up the new car with mud stained jeans on.

#181436 Reply
    Georgie

Mine goes back on Monday, so DH gave the outside a thorough clean last Saturday so it looked respectable for the Mother’s Day visits, and now it will only need a quick external clean this weekend plus a good interior clear out and clean up.

#181492 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Great thread.

My car is my absolute pride and joy and I am a keen amateur detailer.

I use the best products I can and pride myself on its looks.
    And I take pride when I’m told how good it looks. (When I handed back my first car, last year, the sales guy couldn’t believe how it looked. He jokingly offered me a job but I laughed and said he couldn’t afford me).

When I put a car in for a service or work I ask them not to touch it wrt cleaning. Dealers are no worse than the £10 valet from the ‘one bucket a day’ car washes but I can see the swirls that they add.

It’s my hobby. But that’s just me  😄

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#181510 Reply
    Georgie

You and my DH, by the sound of it.  The first thing he does with a new car is strip off the cheap wax and then rewax it properly.  After that it’s hand wash only with the 2 bucket system, using lambs wool glove and washing front to back only.  Micro-cloth dry.  Cleans the wheels with a special brush, then polishes the chrome.  Headlights, number plates etc.

When the guy turned up to collect his last Audi TT (less than 3k on the clock) he said it was in perfect condition and asked if it has been professionally cleaned.

I said “No, that’s just him.” 🙂

#181516 Reply
    ajn

Wow admire the dedication, I must confess to using & enjoying my car as needed, i.e dog with blanket & restraint back seat, confess to shoving him in after being in the sea, full of sand, after walks full of mud, along with alsorts of petrol gardening stuff before & after use, soaking wet fishing stuff after fishing, soaking wet tents and every thing we take if camping, muddy folding elec bikes, also enjoy a McDs breakfast in the car too, along with coffee, refreshments..

Basically if I need something moved and it fits it’s going in, however a wash over hoover out, boot and windows open often it’s all good, it’s kept clean and fresh however it’s used as we live, wouldn’t want it any other way..

NO SMOKING though ever..

#181517 Reply
    ajn

Oh yeah in answer to the question 1st time around for me but when it goes back it will be clean in and outside

#181541 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Wow admire the dedication, I must confess to using & enjoying my car as needed, i.e dog with blanket & restraint back seat, confess to shoving him in after being in the sea, full of sand………

And that’s great, ajn.
    At the end of the day, Motability has allowed us the freedom to take some enjoyment in life with these cars but for different reasons.
    I have to say that my car is a workhorse as well and carries walking frames and all sorts of clunky items.

And handing the car back clean and tidy, as you say, is, in itself, commendable.

Over the past few months, I’ve had the misfortune to see a couple of cars that were ‘removed’ from their keepers due to scheme abuse and the state that they were in almost brought a tear to my eyes. But that’s the other end of the scale.

Oh, and If anyone wants a good make of cleaning products, check out Bilt Hamber’s website.
    https://bilthamber.com/product-category/cleaning-degreasing/

They are incredible and their ‘AutoFoam’ and ‘Touch-less’ , which are used in a bottle/pressure washer gives such a good ‘pre-clean’ that you don’t have to hand wash.
    It’s incredible stuff.

Safe driving, All.

#181544 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Oh, and If anyone wants a good make of cleaning products, check out Bilt Hamber’s website. https://bilthamber.com/product-category/cleaning-degreasing/

I can also vouch for their auto foam and car wash shampoo.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by kezo.
    #181553 Reply
    Georgie

Hey, I didn’t say DH does that with my cars.  My cars are for getting me from ‘A’ to ‘B’, and count themselves lucky to get a bucket of water chucked over them once a Season.

He only goes to such extreme lengths with his cars . . .

🙂

#181554 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

@Georgie, That’s the way 😃

Your OH and myself sound like kindred spirits.
    Next you’ll be telling me that he’s the one everyone’s laughing at whilst he’s out in the rain washing the car 🧽 🌧
    My kids can attest to that 😂

Thankfully, all my aids are aluminium so no rusting! 😂

And it’s great when all the hard work is appreciated.

@kezo
    Good choice 👍

I believe that their ‘Touch-less’ is even better than the ‘Auto-foam’. I’ll certainly be trying that next after I’ve used up the gallons of ‘Auto-foam’ I have here. 😂

Have a great weekend, All.

#181558 Reply
    ajn

Tbh my car is very clean in between the above mentioned, I will check out the info supplied on the products, usually use yellow Simionze (spelling) wash wax.

Possible power washer on the cards..

#181559 Reply
    ajn

I mean who am I to stop this enthusiasm, 🙂

#181570 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

We bought a full snow lance setup, buckets, Kranzle pressure washer, buckets, tyre brushes, “wash gloves” etc.

Took me three hours and more per wash, looked amazing (using Autoglym products), but in the end, i’ll be honest.. I’m not doing that anymore. We have a guy come out, £30 for a mini-valet (inside and outside cleaned, wax/machine polish), which is just more convenient and looks as good.

Of course, first few times watching them like a hawk, but by now i actually trust them. They’re doing a cracking job.

#181572 Reply
    joss

Tbh my car is very clean in between the above mentioned, I will check out the info supplied on the products, usually use yellow Simionze (spelling) wash wax. Possible power washer on the cards..

I can recommend the Kartcher K4

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#181574 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I’d recommend a Kranzle 1152 TST, if you want quality. A Kaercher doesn’t even compare, but it is sadly reflected in the price.

That said: i’ve been through multiple Kaerchers in my life, the Kranzle will outlive me. And my (non-existent) son, too, probably.

#181662 Reply
    ajn

Rene the Kranzle 1152 TST looks like an excellent piece of kit, however the cost I couldn’t justify for the amount of use, that Kartcher looks good though 👍

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
Reply To: Do you clean your car prior to handing back?
Your information: