Do automatic cars encourage faster driving?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155774 Reply
    Brydo

I have always driven manual diesel cars, always, but since December last year we have had an petrol xc40 auto and what a difference. I am/was a pretty slow driver but since having the xc40 auto, no more. I have to constantly check my speed as driving over the limit is far to easy in this car.

Anyone else got this problem lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155780 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Your XC40 has an automatic speed limiter, Brydo.  Have you tried it?

#155782 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I just found driving automatics made use of the indicators less regular, and then I  got a BMW, so they became totally redundant!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155783 Reply
    Brydo

No I haven’t wigwam, actually enjoying this new found “need for speed” 😂

#155791 Reply
    joss

The thing to note with driving some auto’s, if not all. Is the lack of engine breaking. Maybe that is what you are finding Brydo ?

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155796 Reply
    Gary

I don’t think they encourage faster driving so to speak, more that they require greater control.

In a built up area you may stay in 3rd or 4th in a manual and know your speed is somewhat controlled, in an auto if you aren’t careful, you can be in 7th/8th doing 60

#155797 Reply
    Appleman

Correct Joss -They go into coasting,if you had a manual box and put it in neutral  ( coasting ) while moving you would fail your test, my auto shows D1 on dash etc, but when in coasting just shows D , also cars now have lane assist and if you dont signal it tries to pull you back in lane,dont like it i can turn it off but defaults when ignition turned off,so back on again next journey ( over 38 mph ) though BMW would have lane assist

#155806 Reply
    Landyman

I’ve actually slowed down since having my X1 auto despite the fact that I have over 50 bhp more than my previous volvo manual and a whopping 75bhp more than my defender, must be getting old.

#155809 Reply
    Shellie

I’m getting my first automatic in August hopefully I’ve drove them for short times previously but I’m stressing myself out incase I can’t manage it irrational I know I do need an automatic now hopefully it might mean I get out and about more  🤞

#155811 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

In Eco Pro mode the X1 makes you drive like a grandad. In Sport mode it makes you drive like a teenager.

#155813 Reply
    brydo

Shellie its easy, it will take you five minutes to get used to it, although six months since our change I still occasionally go to change gear lol.

#155819 Reply
    machoco

No they dont.

#155821 Reply
    ajn

I tend to think yes they do, might just be these 2ltr xc40’s, just watch the fuel gauge though 😐

#155822 Reply
    ajn

Agree with @Appleman with the coasting thing, it tends to push you on when the speed limit drops say 50mph down to 30mph even if you plan ahead..

Well in my case anyway before someone starts giving in blah blah blah…

#155846 Reply
    Appleman

Correct ajn you find you have to brake more often with no brake horse power it keeps on rolling.

#155848 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well, I’m going to disagree…The deceleration is less, therefore you need to back off the accelerator sooner, that’s all.

#155851 Reply
    Appleman

Also on a downhill the car knows and goes into bhp mode as not to run away,back off sooner and all those with manual are right behind, wandering why you are slowing down to soon  no win situation so i just drive normal brake more so no problem,just think people should be aware of the coasting situation ( dsg 7 speed )

#155852 Reply
    joss

Then coast 👍

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155854 Reply
    Georgie

I was freaking out about having an electronic handbrake for the first time with my current car, but it took all of 10 minutes driving around the back roads to get used to it.  My next car will probably be the last ‘manual’ I’ll be able to drive, and when I change to Auto I expect I’ll be All of a do-dah then, too. 🙂

And then there will be The first e-car . . .

#155855 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You’ll be able to forget the electric handbrake then Georgie. Hardly any use for it in an automatic.

#155858 Reply
    ajn

@Wigwam I have a road I’ve driven for 30yrs plus, the speed decreases from 50mph to 30 mph..

Ive driven cars (auto & manual), trucks, vans even ridden motor bikes.

This new Volvo coasting thing pushes the car on and on @Appleman is right how he’s explaining it.

It pushes must be the battery kicking in, if your not on the brakes, you’re over limit even after planning way ahead.

The road I refer to has been given an even longer approach to the roundabout now because of a newly built estate…

This car pushes all the way and braking ends up a must to stay under the speed limit..

Never had to brake before the natural foot of gas used to slow the car perfectly from speed to speed.

#155860 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

My 8 speed auto drops down gears when you let off the throttle to slow the car, just like you would in a manual, it doesn’t coast in a kind of neutral at all.

As far as driving faster in an auto I don’t see what the gearbox has to do with the amount of throttle a person applies, how can it? If I want to go faster I press it more, slower I press it less, good luck trying to get out of a speeding ticket with the excuse “it was the auto gearbox’s fault, honest”

#155862 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Can’t speak for the way an XC40 works ajn (not yet anyway) but the X1 on a downhill will coast with the engine off, but if the car gains speed the engine turns on and engine braking comes into play.

I’m not concerned what people behind think, the car is designed that way for fuel economy. You can choose to take advantage of it or not

#155863 Reply
    ajn

Well tbh every time we use this stretch of road in this battery assist, coasting car xc40 I mention it to Mrs ajn…

Shes driven the same road, foot of gas into coasting mode and braking is a must..

Never in any other car have we had to do this, and as explained the approach is longer now than before..

Im not here to gain points or prove anyone wrong, however this car goes into coasting mode (eco) and pushes the car well over the speed than anything we have ever travelled in before..

Same road (approach slightly longer to roundabout for slowing), same drivers same speed for decades, different car with battery assist, different result..

#155864 Reply
    ajn

So my auto battery assist on a road I’ve driven on for years tends to push me over the speed limit when decreasing speeds 50mph to 30mph on approach to a roundabout ahead..

Seems to be when it’s in eco mode, coasting…

#155868 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

ajn, assuming the approach to the roundabout is downhill, it’s gravity at work causing the car to accelerate.  It’s nothing to do with battery assist just that the car is coasting and the usual engine drag is missing, surely?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
Reply To: Do automatic cars encourage faster driving?
Your information: