Discrimination

• Creator
    Topic
  • #170257 Reply
    Ed

I’ve just placed an order for an mg hs, the dealer has now told me that retail customers are taking priority over lease and contract hire sales. I have now been told they can’t even give me a date when I will get my new car. This feels very much like discrimination to me!  I asked if I purchased the car could I have it quicker, the answer was yes!

I accept we are going through difficult times but it feels like this dealer and possibly the group have that many sales that they have little or no interest in motability.

Viewing 21 replies - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #171074 Reply
    Ed

Having now spoken with four dealers two who are multi franchise its clear that in the current climate there is no incentive to sell cars to motability.

I’ve still not had any feedback from motability and I’ve simply asked,

Why they are not giving dealers better incentives to get cars to us?

Why have the choices some of us have have reduced so much?

Why will they be receiving the same monthly payments for a three or four year old car as for a new one? Especially in light of the huge profits and staff bonuses that are paid out, all paid for through our benefits.

I do feel it’s time that mobility lost their monopoly and I’m sure competition would improve the car choices for all of us.

#171075 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Well done Ed, you are right to ask those questions. It will be interesting to hear what Motability say. Did you put pen to paper? If not, you might like to consider doing that. Also, have you thought about writing to your MP?

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#171076 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Whilst I agree with a lot of what is being said in this thread, most notably the fact that the pay and remuneration of ALL staff at Motability Operations (which we are paying for) is out of line with the market, I do not agree with the suggestion that dealers should be paid more in order to supply Motability customers.

Dealers have supplied cars to Motability customers on current terms without too many problems for decades. Yes, they make less money out of a sale to a Motability customer than the average private punter (most of whom are poor negotiators) but, as has been pointed out, they don’t just get the handling fee. Motability orders count as sales towards dealership, franchise and manufacturer incentives as well.

Whilst I fear that the severe cull in choice of vehicles on the Motability scheme isn’t solely down to the chip shortage, most of it is and this is a short term problem. The same with long lead times for Motability orders. This is a current short term issue for ALL leasing companies. Whilst it will take well into 2022 before this is resolved (I don’t see every car magically returning on 1st Jan), we will eventually get back to a situation where Motability customers will be able to get their cars in the same time frame as other customers, including private customers. In fact, we got our car (no longer on the scheme) earlier this year in just under 4 months from a dealer who had private customers who had waited longer than that.

If Motability start to pay dealers more than the current terms you can guarantee two things. Firstly, when the chip shortage is resolved (which it will be) they will be unable to reverse out of this arrangement without major problems, if at all. If they do, service to Motability customers will become worse than they are at present, and that won’t be a short term issue it will become permanent. Secondly, if the improved terms remain, you can be sure that the gilt edged pay and remuneration of all Motability Operations staff won’t be cut to offset the increased costs (they legally couldn’t do so without making the staff redundant and re-employing under new contracts). The end result of improved terms for dealers would therefore be hugely increased costs to the scheme and in order to maintain profit (which, whatever we might think about it, they will endeavour to do) guess who would pay for that? Us! Current AP’s would start to look like bargains.

So, whilst I am as critical of the scheme as anyone, writing to comedians or suggesting that scheme costs are increased aren’t two ideas that are going to resolve this issue IMHO and will replace temporary problems with permanent ones.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Glos Guy.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Glos Guy.
    #171080 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Why anyone would write to the likes of Russell Brand is beyond me.

#171087 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Blimey there’s some hate for Motability on this thread.

I’ve been on the scheme for coming up to 25-years and have nothing but praise for Motability in all those years. Perhaps I’m in the minority?

Some of the posts higher up this thread are bordering on militant/political. And as for writing to Russell Brand… really? Have a word with yourself Kwikfitman.

#171088 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Hate, solent60? Really? I see expressions of dissatisfaction.

#171089 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i understand much of the criticism tbh. At same time, the scheme is a one of a kind and is a lot better than anyone would have hoped for in days of 3 wheeler blue buggies.

Most of issues are not of Motability’s making, and as much as they could spend money, i would say they should be doing it on adaptions, and currently folding boot scooters as the larger vehicles are thin on ground.

That is my main critisism and as i will have to basically throw away a perfectly usable and close to brand new(in operation and looks) hoist as it isnt allowed to be reused plus price of a new one is prohibitive especially every 3 years. Not to talk about total waste of resources.

Im getting(hopefully) a new smallr car with smallish boot and am hoping to fill it with a folding scooter as that is all that will fit i think. motability should be helping supply these if bigger cars are unavailable. that is the point of the scheme.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#171091 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I believe the use of the word ‘some’ in the sentence as a pronoun dilutes the word ‘hate’

But you know that.

#171094 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Some hate still allows for hate. I don’t see a single expression of hate in this thread.

#171095 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

There’s a pandemic. There’s a worldwide shortage of chips. Hardly any cars are being built. Those that are tend to go to private buyers.

I get it.

These are strange & weird times that we live in. Before Covid came along – bearing in mind I’ve been reading this forum for several years now – there wasn’t the anti-Motability rhetoric around that there seems to be lately. I get that people (currently) have far less choice of vehicle and that that itself is very frustrating – but that will change. And as for advance payments, well hands up, I have no idea how Motability’s number crunchers or the vehicle supplier set them. I guess like everything in life – cars, holidays, washing machines, TV’s – it all boils down to individual finances.

Whatever the answer – writing to Russel Brand won’t change or fix anything.

#171096 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I find that overall the scheme is very good. Good value, comprehensive and flexible. Not perfect but 9/10. Many of the issues we face at present are not exclusive to Motability but are as a result of well known global issues which are affecting all aspects in the car industry.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by fwippers.
    #171097 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Given that we are lead to believe that Motability customers are waiting an eternity for new cars whilst private customers are getting them in a fraction of the time, I thought that I would share my experience of my visit to my local Hyundai dealership this morning as a private customer.

In 2016 I bought one of my daughters a new i20 Premium from this dealership and I am considering buying her a new car now that it is going to be 6 years old in March. I was looking at the new i20 and also the Ioniq self charging hybrid. I was told that the wait for a new i20 is currently around 22 weeks and there are none in stock to be had (I would want the Ultimate model). As for the Ioniq, there was a slim chance that one might be in stock somewhere but if it wasn’t the colour or spec (Premium SE) that we wanted, we would be looking at July next year. So no better as a private cash customer than a Motability one from what I could tell

I also asked about trade in prices as I’ve noticed that my daughters current i20 has jumped in value by well over £2k recently. He stated that as used car values are so over inflated by £2-3k at present, they would give a guide trade in price now but would revalue within a month of the new car arriving and to expect a big drop of several thousand pounds between now and then. If we weren’t comfortable with the price we could walk away and have a full refund of the deposit.

So, all is not rosey as a private customer at present and keep in mind that this is Hyundai, who are far less affected by the chip shortage than most manufacturers!

#171100 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

There’s a pandemic. There’s a worldwide shortage of chips. Hardly any cars are being built. Those that are tend to go to private buyers. I get it. These are strange & weird times that we live in. Before Covid came along – bearing in mind I’ve been reading this forum for several years now – there wasn’t the anti-Motability rhetoric around that there seems to be lately. I get that people (currently) have far less choice of vehicle and that that itself is very frustrating – but that will change. And as for advance payments, well hands up, I have no idea how Motability’s number crunchers or the vehicle supplier set them. I guess like everything in life – cars, holidays, washing machines, TV’s – it all boils down to individual finances. Whatever the answer – writing to Russel Brand won’t change or fix anything.

Excellent post

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#171102 Reply
    Jojoe

Solent60,
    What’s your view on Motability starting to charge for hand controls for those with disabilities so severe they can’t use their legs to control brakes and accelerator? Is this down to the pandemic?

#171121 Reply
    Not me real name I hope

Motablity are a monopoly

That makes vast profit from disabled people

Fact

Some of you keep comparing it to commercial companies

Which are not monopolies

No idea why

If you are quite happy with motability and the service they provide then that’s great and I am pleased for you

Some of us feel differently and are seeking to create pressure for change

No you can mock and tease all you like as its water of a ducks back

The thing is some of us are unhappy with having little choice and paying high prices to keep motability in a lifestyle it had become used to

In my view people that require adaptions to drive should have them for free if you have 800 million in the bank what good is the money doing in the bank and how did it get there in the first place forget the hate forget Russell Brand those are symptoms of the problem if all was well there would not be such strong feelings

Some people are uncomfortable with disadvantaged people supporting a monopoly that does not communicate with them just find out from a dealer that a car has been withdrawn

We are paying for Motability’s inefficiency directly in the Ap and every month for 3 – 5 years now I don’t know about you but I recon we deserve better and the only way that will happen is if we take some action

So let’s get some positive ideas on how we could go about it

#171147 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

They remind me of this Conservative Government, spending money that isn’t theirs and only benefits themselves.

#171159 Reply
    Disgruntled

Paying for vital adaptions on cars is necessary, so they can line their office walls with fancy artwork. I wonder if there is the same price cap on their company cars as outs, I very much doubt it!

#171179 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Disgruntled

Must admit that has really got my Goat this year with the rises in the cost of adaptions.

I pay over a £k for adaptions plus a premium for auto gearbox and was sort of happy paying £290 for a hoist but on this half yearly price list its £590 though I suppose I have to be thankful that my remote control steering ball has remained at £445 the past year.

When I asked Motability about a grant for the hoist they said I would not get one because the one I’ve got is perfectly serviceable and I said “yes it is but you won’t let me transfer it to the new car without paying the installers more than the £590 for a new one” and this was met with stony silence.

The car costs and delivery problems are effecting everyone so we perhaps need to sit that storm out but I’m finding it very hard to believe Motability have our interest in mind when I see adaptions cost rising at unbelievable over inflationary rates.

#171186 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

They remind me of this Conservative Government, spending money that isn’t theirs and only benefits themselves.

Elliot it does not matter which government is in power their job is to shaft us poor peasants

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#171200 Reply
    Wigwam

#171204 Reply
    Daf

Just pebbledashed the Ambulance console and steering wheel upon reading that one Wigwam, very apt lol.

Viewing 21 replies - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
Reply To: Discrimination
Your information: