Disabled Parking People Parking with No Disabled Badge

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  BigDave 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104232 Reply

martino

I dont know if its because I’m getting older ,I find myself getting really  (??? off) upset  when i notice people parking in disabled bays without a badge or child bays with no children

is it just me

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104234 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

No its not just you Martino I see it all the time and never see any with a parking ticket.

I am a carer a and I meet my old mates once a month for lunch, there is a disabled bay right outside the restaurant. The number of times my mates have said to me “just stick your wife’s blue badge up and park out there”. These are mainly well educated chartered engineers so it shows the general disregard the public hold for disabled parking bays.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#104249 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

I dont know if its because I’m getting older ,I find myself getting really (??? off) upset when i notice people parking in disabled bays without a badge or child bays with no children is it just me

I’ve said this before, but it is still true, ‘You know your disabled when your opinion mean less than others & some people really do think of you as inferior, even though they know absolutely nothing about you or your disability, to them you’re just a nuisance?

Someone who is too bloody slow at the checkout, or who parks in a disabled space, which Is not fair to ‘earth mothers and fat boys, who should have an entitlement by law to park inside the Supermarket doors, and who feel that the disabled spaces should be around the back of the stores, out of sight so that the disabled don’t frighten the children

However, the disabled person may have a good standard of education, a good degree maybe, perhaps qualified in fields like the law or medicine, or perhaps used to drive a 747 , or anything else of note, perhaps they had to forgo a chosen career because of disability, they may have been disabled from serving their country, or they simply may be struggling along every single day as husbands, wives, parents etc., but to some, the disabled are mainly just a nuisance , holding them up at the checkout etc.?

How some people react to the disabled, and it applies to many disabilities is nothing short of a disgrace

#104295 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Everybody will get old and slow and infirm eventually, I wish the way these people behaved could be revisited on them now to show how awful they are with such shameful behaviour but alas I haven’t yet invented the time machine so I’ll just have to keep telling them to go F**k until then.

#104299 Reply

Colin
    Participant

My personal bug-bear with disabled bays (other than that I can’t use one as the local council is using a technicality to refuse my application) is the number of times I see someone sitting in the drivers seat of the car in the bay.

Now I DO understand that it is entirely possible that the actual badge holder is in the shop and did need the space for access, and that the person in the car is a carer but I think it is MUCH more likely that the badge holder is the one sitting in the car while the mate/wife/hubby pops in as it’s easier for them than the disabled person.

Chances are IF the badge holder is the one in the seat, they probably don’t even realise they’re breaking the terms of the badge as so many people just think the badge means they can use the space, end of discussion.  The details ARE all in the documentation you get with the badge but, let’s face it, they’re almost equivalent to the terms and conditions on a website, you basically ignore them as technical details you don’t need to pay attention to – hell I have a website for my business and it took me 3 days to fully fill out the terms and conditions details and even as i wrote them out I was aware that 1. no-one is ever going to read them other than some jobsworth just wanting to know they’re there and 2. that so much which is legally required is insanely long winded and overcomplicated for no good reason other than just to tick a box

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104317 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

You are right of course, some disabled do not know, or understand perhaps, that they ( as the badge holder ) are liable to a fine of up to £1000 for sitting in the car and occupying a disabled parking space, whilst another person who was in the vehicle, is going about their, or the badge holders business!

This scenario is not allowed , and clearly is being ‘so called’ abused every day, and i not only have witnessed it, but i have also been guilty of it sometimes, even sometimes with the collusion of the parking/ traffic Warden!

Mostly however, I and many like me, who experience walking difficulties, do actually leave the vehicle, often in pain, and utilise walking aids , wheelchairs, scooters etc., and therefore need to be parked as near to our destination as possible .

No one however, should confuse the situation where a disabled person is sitting in the car ( under who knows what circumstances ) whilst someone for example shops for him or her , with the situation of a non disabled ,couldn’t care less , person who regularly sticks two fingers up, both to the rules, and also the disabled , and parks in disabled bays?

#104318 Reply

Winston

I’ve pulled into disabled spaces a few times just as someone is walking by and they’ve spotted me in a nice looking car and in my 40s and they’ve stopped and glared or muttered something to their wife etc and I’ve felt like not applying the brake and just run them over lol

i don’t know if the word pleasure can be used but I usually grab my badge quickly followed by a swift 2 finger salute

this is from both disabled and able bodied drivers , so it’s easy to make a quick judgment that can be completely wrong

#104319 Reply

Winston

But yeah people who take piss of out disabled and kids bays really grind my gears too

#104323 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

I have always found it strange seeing many a cars occupants using the supermarkets disabled parking put up their badge and then get out of the car and walk completely fine and unaided and then later see them walk up and down what is after all the equivalent of a aircraft hanger only to then return to their cars at the same pace lugging all their shopping. Cant see how this is possible to do unless you use a scooter or equivalent aid like myself. And if it is possible then why the need to park so near in the disabled bay? I have noticed a lot of lead swinging over the last 10yrs

#104332 Reply

Anneka

Yes this really rattles my cage Im approaching mid 30s and I been challenged argued with given the worst looks ever especially by the older folk who are also using the bays. I was even told you do know these spots are for disabled people I was I’m aware and that’s why I’m parked here, it’s not nice at all. Also really got on my nerves with children spots too you also seem to find the people with expensive cars parked in the both spots just so no one will dent their precious cars. My local Tesco express is the worse every time I want to just pop in and grab something the 2 spots are always occupied by people without badges, when telling security who are always unbothered I’m like I actually have a badge and need that spot n ur going to do nothing. Rant over lol but yes this really gets me 😤

#105424 Reply

martino

i got challenged this morning by an old man as i left a disabled space at collage car park as i drove off he shouted something waving his hands , so i stopped asked if there was something wrong , he went on a rant you shouldn’t park there , that’s a disabled space, i couldn’t park in there because you were parked in there , you need a blue badge to park there , i lifted my badge off the dash board and said look iv got a blue badge, from the a bit away just seeing through the open window said well you don’t actually look disabled, then muttered something else that i couldn’t hear i was so mad, i think he was a collage teacher.

I think as well as having disabled parking bays they (carparks ) should introduce parking bays just for very mature (older ) drivers ! lol what do you think

then tonight was picking up my daughter around 5.30 busy time  i parked in a disabled space and noticed everyone in the other spaces did’nt have a badge just picking up someone.

#107080 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

My personal bug-bear with disabled bays (other than that I can’t use one as the local council is using a technicality to refuse my application) is the number of times I see someone sitting in the drivers seat of the car in the bay. Now I DO understand that it is entirely possible that the actual badge holder is in the shop and did need the space for access, and that the person in the car is a carer but I think it is MUCH more likely that the badge holder is the one sitting in the car while the mate/wife/hubby pops in as it’s easier for them than the disabled person. Chances are IF the badge holder is the one in the seat, they probably don’t even realise they’re breaking the terms of the badge as so many people just think the badge means they can use the space, end of discussion. The details ARE all in the documentation you get with the badge but, let’s face it, they’re almost equivalent to the terms and conditions on a website, you basically ignore them as technical details you don’t need to pay attention to – hell I have a website for my business and it took me 3 days to fully fill out the terms and conditions details and even as i wrote them out I was aware that 1. no-one is ever going to read them other than some jobsworth just wanting to know they’re there and 2. that so much which is legally required is insanely long winded and overcomplicated for no good reason other than just to tick a box

I must admit I am guilty as charged, I do not mix with people, I do no like people near me, I have to be accompanied every were I go. It safer and easier for my wife for me to park in the disabled bay with the door locked at least she know I am of harms way. On other occasion I park out of the way on the other side of the carpark were no one wants to park, unfortunately she has a lot of steel plates in her ankle and struggles to way distances, she is not classed as disabled or has a blue badge.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#107081 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

You are right of course, some disabled do not know, or understand perhaps, that they ( as the badge holder ) are liable to a fine of up to £1000 for sitting in the car and occupying a disabled parking space, whilst another person who was in the vehicle, is going about their, or the badge holders business! This scenario is not allowed , and clearly is being ‘so called’ abused every day, and i not only have witnessed it, but i have also been guilty of it sometimes, even sometimes with the collusion of the parking/ traffic Warden! Mostly however, I and many like me, who experience walking difficulties, do actually leave the vehicle, often in pain, and utilise walking aids , wheelchairs, scooters etc., and therefore need to be parked as near to our destination as possible . No one however, should confuse the situation where a disabled person is sitting in the car ( under who knows what circumstances ) whilst someone for example shops for him or her , with the situation of a non disabled ,couldn’t care less , person who regularly sticks two fingers up, both to the rules, and also the disabled , and parks in disabled bays?

I did not know that, however we have never been challenged.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#107082 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

i got challenged this morning by an old man as i left a disabled space at collage car park as i drove off he shouted something waving his hands , so i stopped asked if there was something wrong , he went on a rant you shouldn’t park there , that’s a disabled space, i couldn’t park in there because you were parked in there , you need a blue badge to park there , i lifted my badge off the dash board and said look iv got a blue badge, from the a bit away just seeing through the open window said well you don’t actually look disabled, then muttered something else that i couldn’t hear i was so mad, i think he was a collage teacher. I think as well as having disabled parking bays they (carparks ) should introduce parking bays just for very mature (older ) drivers ! lol what do you think then tonight was picking up my daughter around 5.30 busy time i parked in a disabled space and noticed everyone in the other spaces did’nt have a badge just picking up someone.

Last year we had a disabled woman shouting at us, she informed us we were parked in her place and she need it know, we asked why, because I am more disabled than you, I would not mind but it was not even a disabled parking bay and there was several empty disabled parking bays just across from our parking space?

#107093 Reply

Winston

If on the rare occasion  I visit a retail park ( always AM midweek when it’s at its  quietest ) and I see only 1 or 2 remaining disabled parking bays then if I can manage it I’ll park I the furthest away disabled space or a regular space if it’s not too far away

I’m not in a wheelchair and my heart goes out to those who are , so I realise they need more room and to be as close as possible

so I’m able to hobble round a shop for something to do then I’m able to hobble a bit further and leave the last space for someone with more complex needs

I must admit I don’t see too much of that going on tbh, I know we are all entitled to use that disabled bay, but a little more consideration would go a long way

I was at a friends house yesterday for a few hours and I happened to check my CCTV and low n behold there was a big van taking up my disabled bay outside my house , and my neighbour was parked up close to the other side , instantly I’m fillled with anger , anxiety etc etc

so I drive the 15 mins home and it’s still there , I beep the for about 5 seconds 3 or 4 times , no one appears

so I call the number on the van ( plumber ) eventually he answers and I ask if he’s parked in my street?

why yes I am actually, what’s up?

well get the F*** out my disabled bay!

oh sorry , am I over the lines?

over the lines ffs , u couldn’t squeeze a shopping trolley safely into it

stuff like that really grinds my gears! There’s so many reasons why we need a space outside our houses and prats like that just don’t care , when he could have parked 4 car lengths further down!

#107334 Reply

martino

just to add to this i went to the council building car park to pay my council tax theres about 25\30 spaces all of them used non of them displaying a badge to had to drive away , i know its an assumption but i felt it was council staff that had used the spaces

#107356 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

I have always found it strange seeing many a cars occupants using the supermarkets disabled parking put up their badge and then get out of the car and walk completely fine and unaided and then later see them walk up and down what is after all the equivalent of a aircraft hanger only to then return to their cars at the same pace lugging all their shopping. Cant see how this is possible to do unless you use a scooter or equivalent aid like myself. And if it is possible then why the need to park so near in the disabled bay? I have noticed a lot of lead swinging over the last 10yrs

How do you know perople are ‘lead swinging’?

Disabled people can obtain a blue badge nowadays for hidden ‘non-mobility related’ disabilities, for example autism and who frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge

‘Frequently’ doesn’t by definition mean every time, but ‘very often’. The anxiety or fear could occur at any time. Just observing someone walking round a large supermarket doesn’t show how anxious or fearful the person maybe.

Thus, they maybe entitled to a blue badge after assessment by their local authority, to facilitate passage between a building and their vehicle for example.

Also, such as Crohn’s disease where the person may urgently need the WC’s without any warning. The blue badge helps facilitate parking nearer to the entrance to a store (usually where the toilets are). However they may be able to walk around said supermarket, but an attack could occur at any second.

It is not a case of ‘lead-swinging’ but necessity in a lot of cases.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Disabled Parking People Parking with No Disabled Badge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: