diesel and petrol keep going up – i need an EV

• Creator
    Topic
  • #140193 Reply
    martinod

i dont go out as much because of lock down but iv noticed it seems to be every time i go to asda/tesco  diesel and petrol have went up another 1p litre . i remember a few years back tesco stopped giving you 20p off a litre and brought the price to 99p litre but then it just started going up again.

costco started selling fuel but it now only 1p cheaper than supper markers , some time asda is cheaper.

i now its only a penny every time but it just seems to go up all the time

as i normally do 18/19k miles a year trying to save money on fuel is good , this is one of the reasons i want to go EV

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140221 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Fuel duty is currently levied at a flat rate of 57.95p per litre for both petrol and diesel, while VAT at 20% is then charged on both the product price and the duty.

So the actual fuel cost is not that big but the tax is more like 70/75% of the price right now and as more jump to ev’s those funds will need to be recouped by the goverment somehow.

#140241 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I got sick of paying those prices and spending around £80 a month on fuel it was depressing, i know EVs are not for everyone and i know charging can be a pain in the backside at times but i would do it again in a heart beat just to save the £60 a month in fuel cost.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#140263 Reply
    Ian

I run a BMW I3s charge it up over night or on the solar panels where possible.

From empty to full it needs 42kws this is usually 5p a Kw or less if using panels = £2.10 for around 150 miles…….

Like I said I get its not for everyone but it does surprise me how people ridicule Evs but are happy to spend proper money on fuel…..The world is a very very strange place.

#140266 Reply
    Brydo

Ian you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Good to see you back on the forum.

First hand knowledge is what we need here and you, and others, supply that with EV pros and cons.

#140268 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Before covid I would travel 1250 miles a month. This would cost £185 in petrol. On an overnight tariff this would be £15 in electricity.  A saving of Over £6000 on a 3 year lease is a good incentive by itself.</p>

#140269 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I don’t know anyone who ridicules EVs. If they suit someone’s practical needs and they can afford to buy them, that’s consumer choice in action.  I sometimes thing the EV evangelists are trying to fight an enemy that doesn’t exist.

#140272 Reply
    MickC

If no one wants your product they tend to fall in price.

#140273 Reply
    Ian

Thank you sir

22000 miles in now…..still fantastic, car has performed impeccably.

New tyres at 15000 miles because I don’t hang around.

I use the car, park it over night on my drive, charge it and go again.

Thinking about the statements about not suitable for everyone I think this type of fuel would have suited my driving requirements for most of my life and saved me a fortune.

I honestly think that there are many more people that an electric car will suit rather than the naysayers can offer up that it doesn’t suit.

Funny how we constantly focus on the negative isn’t it?

I recommend two books, who moved my cheese and Our Iceberg is melting. The characters in those books can clearly be seen in the EV debate.

I opened my mind to go electric so pleased I did.

Yes the world changes, fuel cost may go up, I have to park up to charge on a journey maybe once a month, the cars not very big etc but actually I adapt, I move and embrace the change rather than ridiculing it with emotional arguments….will put my tin hat on waiting for the bricks to be thrown…..

#140286 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

And im sure they will be Ian, unfortunately we have some very negative people on the Forum.

Its great to hear how much you are enjoying your EV, BMW i3 if i remember correctly, and when you come to renew what do you think you would fancy?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#140297 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Ian, your getting the BMW i3s made me go test drive one & hooked me on EVs as I found they were a hoot to drive compared to a nasty old fossil…. thankyou!

#140303 Reply
    Ian

Brydo yes I got an I3s and apart from something a little bigger not really sure what I will get next.

Absolutely positive it will be electric powered unless the world changes in another direction. I understand there’s a rather nice electric Porsche that anti EV Clarkson has announced is simply the best car ever…..might be a little unaffordable tho.

interestingly negative people aren’t much fun to be around and I guess their joy is very different to my own.

Wow didn’t expect that gotthejulie!

Glad you jumped in the water EV its lovely isn’t it!

Ian

#140310 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I hope they bring out a 7 seats EV soon, that’s not a van, or has a Range Rover type AP because it’s only a matter of a few years now before road duty and taxes are shifted to pay by the mile revenue.

I don’t do enough mileage at the best of times to worry about the cost of fuel, in fact my AP’s are more than that over 3 years but a point everyone misses with electric cars is that we won’t be at the mercy of the Russian, Iranians and the Arab states any more.

#140320 Reply
    Jaro

Would love to go electric but with an under 25 driver it’s just not possible.

#140322 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

We will still need oil, ChrisK.   We will be beholden to China and other countries mining lithium, as well.

#140340 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

We will still need oil, ChrisK. We will be beholden to China and other countries mining lithium, as well.

We will of course still need oil but half of what we need now so the western World can get by and we’ve loads of lithium in Cornwall if that all goes well but the danger is like everything else in this country the government see a quick buck and will sell the rights to the country resources for a song.

Starting to happen now with the cost of the off shore sea bed rocking in value because BP and Shell see where their future market is and are buying the rights to the sea bed around our coast for off shore wind-farms so we can see where the future of electricity is going to go.

#140344 Reply
    sif

Wigwam is right

#140345 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

There is plentiful lithium as a mineral in many places but it’s not economical to extract.  This includes Cornwall.  Much cheaper to buy it on the open market which is supplied mostly I believe by South American countries and China.

Not sure what BP Shell investing in windfarms has to do with anything though.  They also provide EV charging points.

#140349 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

The devastating environmental impact of technological progress
    An insatiable demand for the copper, lithium and rare-earth metals required to fuel the consumer electronics and electric vehicle industries is leaving indelible scars on our fragile planet

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-copper-mining-atacama-desert

read that and then tell me is that what you want for cornwall.

The truth is to get all these things you talk about we will all have to live in the big cities and the countryside will be mined and destroyed forever. This is what really makes me shake my head  as some do they not understand what really goes on in the world we live in and want to save the planet by destroying it.

#140356 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

read that and then tell me is that what you want for cornwall.

I remember playing on a beach in Cornwall & getting covered with oil from the Torrey Canyon, I also saw the dead & dying seagulls covered in oil.

Cornwall is already battle scarred by millenia of mining metals such as tin, copper, arsenic, and from china clay (kaolinite) extraction.

The lithium extraction so far proposed is from hydrothermal fluids that have picked up lithium from pegmatites & so is subsurface extraction using wellheads, together with geothermal heat recovery.

We already have copper mines scarring areas of Cornwall, North Wales & the Lake District.

REE deposits in the UK include the Loch Loyal syenite complex which would devastate a beautiful area, the  Mourne Mountains in NI have REEs too in alluvial deposits.

Remember too that REEs are already used as catalysts in petroleum refining & that switching from one use to another is possible.

#140360 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

The point is it’s ok for it to be done in some far away place’s but it would not be ok on your doorstep right now.

I lived in north wales as a kid and visit family regular, so i know exactly what the effect is.. I now live in an area mined for coal and the problems that that brings. The resources have to be gotten from somewhere and the cost of rare metals is rising.

It’s not ok to do this but it is ok to do that. Make no mistake alot don’t care about how the things needed are gotten only that they are gotten. So we can live our lives now and at some point everything is just not sustainable like the human population, on some things we agree but on others we do not. but thats ok..

#140361 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Well what I’ve read of Cornwall lithium it is not being mined like copper or tin and is at the bottom of old tin mines, been there for hundreds of years but has been of no use until now and its in a liquid form that can be pumped to the surface with almost zero impact on the environment, its noted as being the cleanest lithium extract in the World if the testing in the area is successful.

#140363 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

All well and good ChrisK.  The company proposing to exploit the deposits is looking for investment funding but not finding it, because there’s no profit in it.

#140366 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I retract that. Seems they found some crowdfunding money:

https://www.crowdcube.com/companies/cornish-lithium-ltd/pitches/lEJ2KZ

#140368 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Wigwam

That’s always the way isn’t it, there was a time when there no money in dustbin rubbish but put a tax on it and everyone want a slice of the cake.😁

#140370 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

A wise observation ChrisK. Strange, isn’t it?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: diesel and petrol keep going up – i need an EV
Your information: