Diesel and Petrol is there a big difference in mpg

• Creator
    Topic
  • #131302 Reply
    Martinod

As a lot of car dealers are stop make iv diesel car I was wondering is it a lot more expensive to run a petrol car or diesel car….

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #131323 Reply
    ajn
    Participant

I’ve never own a diesel car only petrol, I think it used to be better until they started fitting all the stuff in a push to try making diesel immisions lower, cleaner even turned to lying too lol

#131331 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I have had lots of both over the years, even ran different versions of the same car in petrol and diesel at the same time and I have generally found about a 20-25% difference between them in favour of the diesel, I’m not suggesting that this is always the case but the majority of the time it has.

#131337 Reply
    sif

diesel every time, more reliable too and higher mileages possible.

#131340 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

As a very general rule of thumb, diesels tend to be 10-15 mpg better than their petrol equivalents in real world driving. Diesels also have far better torque (mid range pull) than petrols. Diesel engines need regular use and occasional high speed runs or can become problematic, whereas petrols are better suited for those who do mostly around town / local driving. They are also quieter than their diesel equivalents, although some Diesel engines (like those made by BMW) you’d be hard pressed when inside the car to tell it’s a diesel as they are supremely quiet. Diesel is a bit more expensive at the fuel pumps and Motability seem to be putting quite big AP premiums on diesels now, so unless you do more than, say, 10,000 miles a year, a petrol car may well be cheaper to run. I tend to look at ‘whole life costs’ (AP plus actual fuel cost over 3 years based on realistic mpg). In the past, diesel has always won, but we are now retired and doing less mileage, so I think we might well revert to petrol next time.

#131347 Reply
    Martinod

glos-guy iv had my xc60(65 plate) just over 5 years past October and iv done 76000 mind you since March not so much

#131359 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

glos-guy iv had my xc60(65 plate) just over 5 years past October and iv done 76000 mind you since March not so much

Nice cars. Shame they are no longer on the scheme. I’m struggling to like the look of the XC40 and think it will be too small for us, but the XC60 would possibly be a contender if available. Most of the SUV’s on the scheme have boots that are a bit tight for my wife’s wheelchair and leave no other space.

#131453 Reply
    rox
    Participant

My last 3 cars was diesel but this time i went petrol and petrols have got alot better imo than they was.

When you use sport mode there’s not much between them at all they all drink like crazy and you get no where near the mgg figures suggest drive in normal mode and then you get slightly lower than listed figures but the throttle responce is reduced alot and sometimes it’s better for me to have to press the peddle down less to go.

eco mode is the worst unless you wanna get everywhere very slowly.

#131569 Reply
    Rich

I’ve had loads of different cars manual/auto petrol & diesel.

I’ve always preferred diesel just felt easier to drive & more power available. I do t really think there’s ever been much in it mpg wise in all honestly.

Having said that my absolute favourite car was a 2003 Mondeo estate 2.5 V6 that I paid £550 for & it was the best most reliable car I’ve ever owned mint interior, it even drove from Yorkshire to Norfolk towing on 5 cylinders effortlessly. I loved that car so much I’d buy another any time. I’m back to a diesel auto now in a Grand Voyager & that’s a 2.8 with lots of low down grunt & and I much prefer it to the 3.3 petrol version.

I miss the older diesels when I used to run them on veg oil, the old Toyota estima diesel was dead cheap to run on used veg oil used to smell like a chip shop or a doughnut factory depending on the oil.

#131576 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

My last 3 cars was diesel but this time i went petrol and petrols have got alot better imo than they was. When you use sport mode there’s not much between them at all they all drink like crazy and you get no where near the mgg figures suggest drive in normal mode and then you get slightly lower than listed figures but the throttle responce is reduced alot and sometimes it’s better for me to have to press the peddle down less to go. eco mode is the worst unless you wanna get everywhere very slowly.

My ECO displays a nice green leaf on my dash and reduce the output of my heater, just perfect for this time of year.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Diesel and Petrol is there a big difference in mpg
Your information: