Diabetes and Driving

• Creator
    Topic
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Regarding DVLA changes as regards diabetes, yesterday my diabetes nurse recommends just in case to inform DVLA, I am just over border line type 2, I am on Metformin, I have downloaded form DAIB1, I have had no issues and passed my diabetes check up with no issues.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
      Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Suzuki Across PHEV

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Phaedra
      Participant

I’m on max dosage of Metformin & Gliclazide, also take Victoza injection (Liraglutide) when I can actually get any due to idiots thinking it’s the same as Semaglutide/Ozempic and buying it to try and loose weight with it.

Informed DVLA and again they have no issues with any of it at all 🙂

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Oscarmax
        Participant

I’m on max dosage of Metformin & Gliclazide, also take Victoza injection (Liraglutide) when I can actually get any due to idiots thinking it’s the same as Semaglutide/Ozempic and buying it to try and loose weight with it. Informed DVLA and again they have no issues with any of it at all 🙂

I am only on 500mg Metformin, I downloaded and filled in the form this morning, only required to fill in part of the form, to date I have not actually seen a GP as regard my diabetes just a heath professional 4 years ago and yearly follow up by one of the nurses. Our GP practise has always been pretty rubbish.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
          Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Suzuki Across PHEV

kezo
          Participant
            Oscarmax
            Participant

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5cb4542f40f0b668699e253f/inf188x2-information-for-drivers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf

Unfortunately due to the recent updates that document is no longer valid, I informed DVLA in 2005 as regards my head injury I would imagine I will have to update them when I renew my licence in a couple of years.

Suzuki Across PHEV

Oscarmax
              Participant

Regarding DVLA changes as regards diabetes, yesterday my diabetes nurse recommends just in case to inform DVLA, I am just over border line type 2, I am on Metformin, I have downloaded form DAIB1, I have had no issues and passed my diabetes check up with no issues.

It looks like  Type 2 diabetes treated Metformin is now a 3 year medical licence.

Suzuki Across PHEV

kezo
                Participant

I’m still confused mate 😂

The nformation leaflet inf188x2 posted previous, is still valid on uk gov site

Have you checked on the governments online checker form

Oscarmax
                  Participant

DVLA have recently made some changes, however competence was not one of them, I am going to submitted form B1 as regards my head injury in 2005 lets see what happens.

Suzuki Across PHEV

kezo
                    Participant

I’d be intersted to hear how it goes.

Oscarmax
                      Participant

I’d be interested to hear how it goes.

If granted I am going to end up with a 3 year medical licence, so I might as well go for it with the head injury it has been nearly 19 years ago the consultants have all cleared me to drive, I have not had a fit or required medication, I only kept in 3 days in hospital then released with out any support, but with DVLA anything car happen.

Suzuki Across PHEV

kezo
                        Participant

but with DVLA anything car happen

Thats my worry!

Personally I would wait till to see if gov.uk udates their site before doing anything. Hearing it from somewhere else is just hearsay IMO.

I have quite a few conditions that, don’t need reporting according to gov’s page. Untill they update I need to report, I won’t do anything to rock the boat!

Oscarmax
                          Participant

The wife agrees with you and thinks I should hang fire until I renew my licence in August 2026, I have looked at the DVLA 2016 judging by the advice I am ok, I am going to hang fire.

Suzuki Across PHEV

kezo
                            Participant

Great minds lol.

Carmad
                              Participant

@Phaedra.  Regarding your difficulty in obtaining Victoza, have you spoken to your GP about changing over to Trulicity?  I’m in the same position as you in not being able to source Victoza, the nurse from hospital diabetic team said just to try managing as best I can!  Anyway, my son in-law happens to be a Pharmacist and suggested Trulicity as an alternative and the hospital agreed.  It’s taken once a week as opposed to every day.

I hope you’re not offended in me suggesting this to you.

Phaedra
                                Participant

Hi Carmad, not offended at all, that’s a great idea 🙂

Update, spoke to my friend who’s a pharmacist, unlike Boots they get stock from several suppliers, all are out of stock of Truicity as well, no known supply date 🙁

Looks like the only altrnative will be Humalog or another insulin.  Will have to try harder with my diet and see if I can avoid it, my local firearms department aren’t keen on insulin users!.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

joss

I am on Trulicity and have never had any problems getting it at my local pharmacy.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by joss.

Joss
                                    Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.