Cupra Formentor – first impressions!

• This topic has 24 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by John morris.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #148170 Reply
    Psuader

Its not on the scheme, I know, but my son took delivery of the base model yesterday, on a private lease of £230pm (2k down), and I had to share early impressions:

Wow- what an imposing and stylish SUV. This sector is full of awkward looking blocks on wheels and this is the first affordable SUV that looks absolutely spot on. Its a mini Lamborghini Urus in terms of looks, seriously. It isn’t mini though. Its as long as our Motability Seat Alhambra, would you believe.

Build quality is outstanding and the spec is very high for the basic model. Even the free white looks phenomenal due to contrasting black and grey trim.

Most of all there are so many surprise and delight features- the lighting (in and out), the keyring, the massive screen, the ambient lit trim, the puddle light as a Cupra logo design. Just wow. And it’s a base model, don’t forget. For a (hardworking and sensible) 20 year old, it was nirvana. He chose well and he knew it. For a hardened old fogey like me, I was genuinely impressed by something modern that had a strong personality, which is rare.

It should, in time, be on the scheme. If it is, put it on your shortlist- you will not be disappointed!

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #148171 Reply
    Appleman

Any chance of photo please ?

#148172 Reply
    John morris

I have the Ateca fr Sport because that’s as close as I could get to the formentor! I love it! The last new car I bought before having to join the scheme was a 2015 SEAT ibiza ST FR and I fell in love with the brand there and then. The point I am trying to make is that if my partner hadn’t suddenly become unwell and I hadn’t had to give up my business I would 100% be driving one now,  probably the 310 version. My Ateca has the same 1.5tsi engine as your sons  formentor and its brilliant. I am a bit jealous haha.

#148215 Reply
    Psuader

Struggling with attaching a photo- Ive tried getting it to a small amount of pixels/ memory and in Jpg, Bnp and Gif with no luck. Help appreciated!

#148217 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@Psuader Having the same problem with posting snaps. It sez check size and format which are fine. Have also tried posting old snaps which went up fine first time. Same result on size and format. Suspect something wrong with the forum widgets handling snaps? Not sure who to tell, perhaps @joss could pass on message to appropriate bod. Cheers…

#148220 Reply
    Psuader

Cheers Tharg. Yeah, Im pretty good with tech but its beat me!

#148226 Reply
    John morris

I think photos can only be uploaded via a PC. Are you trying on a phone?

#148235 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Interesting to hear your feedback Psuader. I agree that the Formentor is a smart looking car and would be a very welcome addition to the Motability scheme. It meets all the criteria for inclusion, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t appear. The problem may be that Seat want to create a ‘niche’ market with the Cupra sub-brand, as Toyota did with Lexus and, as a result, they may see inclusion on the Motability scheme as diluting that. I really hope that it appears though, as there are very few cars on the Motability scheme these days that get people excited. Although far too small and low for us, it’s been nice to see the enthusiasm from many people about the Golf GTD being added. Sadly, we need bigger and higher cars to cater for wheelchairs and bad backs, but if the Formentor had been on the list when we ordered we would have definitely checked it out.

#148240 Reply
    joss

Guys We have a slight issue with storage at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience. WMC is aware and say probably Monday for it to be sorted out.

Once again Sorry for the inconvenience.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148242 Reply
    joss

YouTube video of Cupra

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148244 Reply
    lab
    Participant

This site gives dimensions and plenty of images.

https://www.automobiledimension.com/model/cupra/formentor

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by lab.
    #148246 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cheers, Joss. Thanks for help on the snaps. Pretty good vid of the Cupra. Seems to handle really well for an SUV. Those “driving-along” shots show no jiggling up and down. Unless, of course, it was shot on a well-sprung trolley and/or they found an un-potholed road (rare beast these days!).

#148282 Reply
    joss

@Tharg Snaps all down to the Man WMC. The video was my work lol

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148288 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Suppose we’ll see you directing Top Gear next, Mr Hitchcock?

#148342 Reply
    joss

Suppose we’ll see you directing Top Gear next, Mr Hitchcock?

🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148379 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

First, on topic – we’ll not see the Cupra beast on scheme but a 190ish bhp Ateca just made an appearance – probably closest you’ll get.

Meanwhile, Mr Director, did you know the avian apocalypse you hint at was written by Daphne du Maurier and adapted for screen by Evan Hunter aka Ed McBain author of the 87th Precinct cop novels?

#148381 Reply
    sif

SUV and handling are a contradiction in terms. It handles well for an SUV, but who buys an SUV for handling, its also about as high as an estate car and and will be expensive to run except as a hybrid which sends it north of 40k. I can’t see a rush of motability customers. If I was 20, I would probably lust after it.

#148383 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

My lust was directed elsewhere at twenty.

#148386 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i have to say i like the look of those seats, pretty substantial and look as though they could be comfy.

bit on the large side for my needs as i am on my own and dont need boot and passenger space.

but its definately a looker.

#148388 Reply
    Psuader

Finally, the tech is working- here’s my son’s car. See what I mean?

#148408 Reply
    joss

Damn it! I have got a sore neck looking at that picture.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148454 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#148455 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#148461 Reply
    John morris

SIF. You have obviously never driven an Ateca then. Believe me it handles like a hatchback. 100% without any body roll taking corners. Its superb and doesn’t feel like a SUV at all. Not quite as good as my old 2014 fiesta ecoboost but better than my 2015 ibiza st. So your very very wrong.

#148463 Reply
    John morris

Oh the formentor is built on the same platform as the Ateca, golf, and Leon amongst others

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Cupra Formentor – first impressions!
Your information: