COVID VACCINE IS HERE!

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo

I posted this on the covid thread but no one responded so I thought I would start this thread to see if it gets any interest.

My cousin is a nurse with the NHS and she said they are to be offered the Oxford vaccine over the next few weeks.

My other cousin works in Dubai and his college’s have had, I now know its the Russian vaccine last week. He said a few have had bad reactions but most have been fine.

If all goes well I would fully except some on the forum to be offered it before the end of the year.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

I have had very similar information on the QT,  from a relative of mine, who also works in the NHS but not on the front line – apparently they have been told to prepare a vaccination program , starting with vaccinating front line staff to be implemented “potentially “ , the first week of December ( although this could be delayed slightly) rolling out to others before Christmas?

Millions of doses have already been produced in Belgium apparently, and are already on the way to the UK – cant see the Pharma Co.’s risking this level of production/risk if there was not a very high chance that the vaccine works, and is safe?

Clinically Vulnerable , would probably describe most using this Forum- second phase???

Brydo

Mike its sounding like good news fingers crossed “it does what it says on the tube” lol.

Participant

Everything’s crossed Brydo!

except purposes 😀

Tharg

Brydo, this would be a wonderful thing. However, we have to hope that what your rel’s, and others, have been told is actually true. Could it be that this a covert range of testing that is part of evaluation of the vaccine’s safety? I do not doubt what they have been told. I just do not trust NHS managers to tell the truth.

Brydo

Tharg I’ve no idea but the oxford vaccine has been tested on tens of thousands worldwide already and the chances are that injecting the virus into people who have been injected with the vaccine will start in January. With that in mind I see no reason to be underhand about this but I could be wrong.

Tharg

Sorry, Brydo. Did not mean to sow the seeds of doom and gloom. It is simply that my past experience with NHS management (and some ward staff) convinces me that the whole operation is run by devious, control-freak bullies. Recent experience, of which you are aware, only strengthens that conclusion. Moreover, I know for a fact that staff from at least one major London hospital were order to conceal the fact that they might have Covid by ticking the “Don’t know” box on sickness form to describe and disguise symptoms.

Really, seriously hope I am wrong here. (Would so like to go out and choose the food I actually want AND I have a “new” grandson whom I have not seen for ages.)

Brydo

Tharg I sincerely hope we are at the start of the end of this pandemic. I just want to be able to enjoy next year, eat out, go a holiday cuddle my mum. Its not too much to ask, is it?

Tharg

Aaaah. The man said HOLIDAY. I remember them: Warm. Speaking Spanish badly. Fast boats. Paella. Real Serrano ham. Secret recipe Tenerife chicken. If I book for next November, we might just about be ready!

gothitjulie
                      Participant

Who gets the vaccine first is also about who the vaccine works best in. We know that different age groups produce varying responses to other vaccines & if this is true of a vaccine it may be best suited for younger generations rather than older generations. Hopefully we’ll end up with a few different vaccines that can cover the whole range, like we now have with flu, but again this could take time.

As for the imminent roll-out, well, approval of vaccines takes time usually after trials are completed, BUT, it’s possible to allow a roll-out to a limited group of people who are at the greatest risk of catching COVID-19 before final approval, and that would be doctors, nurses, etc.

Another thing to remember is that many current vaccines for other diseases carry risks, often pretty low, of adverse reactions. Flu vaccines have side effects, I find they vary from year to year, so, sore arm 3 days last year, swollen arm with pain & exhaustion for 2 weeks the year before. I can no longer have the tetanus jab either, I’ve developed a dangerous reaction to it over the years but I did have to have a vaccination every 5 years for my job, and the NHS used to give me extra jabs when they were stitching whatever bit of skin I’d ruined.

Participant

A good non partisan, non political article, which is worth a read, for us ‘old folk’?

The Oxford University coronavirus vaccine produces a “strong” immune response among the elderly, the latest data shows.

Analysis of the Phase II stage of the trial process reportedly found similar responses across all age groups, in findings that have been hailed as a “milestone” in the fight against the pandemic.

It comes as Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, said he expects a vaccine to be rolled out in the first half of next year, although he said it was possible some people could get access before New Year’s Eve.

While they face the highest risk from respiratory infections, elderly people often fail to mount a sufficiently robust response after being vaccinated due to their less active immune systems

In the field of influenza, this has forced authorities to commission a boosted “adjuvanted” vaccine in recent years designed specifically for pensioners, after the normal jab was found to be ineffective.

Similar fears have dogged the development of a vaccine against Covid-19. However, on Monday both Oxford University and its industry partner AstraZeneca confirmed that the vaccine appears to boost both immunity in the form of antibodies and T-cells.

The candidate drug is currently undergoing a much larger Phase III trial across several countries to try and establish how well it protects against coronavirus in a real-world setting.

As part of a vastly accelerated logistics operation, doses of various candidate vaccines are already being manufactured, even before the results of final studies have been submitted for approval by regulators.

A spokesman for the university said: “These early results covering trial volunteers from the UK in the 56-69 and 70 plus age groups have been submitted to a peer-review journal, and we hope to see their publication in the coming weeks.

“Our ongoing trials will provide further data, but this marks a key milestone and reassures us that the vaccine is safe for use and induces strong immune responses in both parts of the immune system in all adult groups.”

AstraZeneca said it was “encouraging to see immunogenicity responses were similar between older and younger adults”. The company also said it was pleased to see “lower” levels of side-effects in older adults.

“The results further build the body of evidence for the safety and immunogenicity of AZD1222,” a spokesman said.

The Phase II results have not yet been peer reviewed and published, but Professor Andrew Goddard, one of the architects of the vaccine, has discussed them at an academic conference.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.