Courtesy car charge

• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Rico.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #83959 Reply
    Rhiannon

Hi, just a quick question. My car is going in for a service this week and the dealership is charging me £15 for the courtesy car. Is this usual and would I be better arranging a car through Motability instead?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #83960 Reply
    cb2011
    Participant

ive never paid, ford and bmw

#83961 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Which marque/ dealership is it? Best to ring motability and tell them. Maybe service dept thought you might be a private customer not motability. I never paid for mine. The problem is the courtesy cars are usually small size lol.

#83962 Reply
    Leon G

My VW Golf just been in for MOT and they never charge for courtesy cars they just tell me to make sure I put fuel in if I go any distance. Just take driving license and motability insurance paperwork ( if you can find it ) and know your insurance number.

This was only last week so I would query things

good luck and let us know what they say

#83964 Reply
    JS

No you don’t pay. Dealerships especially service departments often get wires crossed ( they tried changing for our last Mot)

A similar thread came up last week and I knew the information would come in handy (didn’t expect it would so soon) so I looked into it a bit for my own curiosity,

Has the process for getting a courtesy car changed.

The key bit is the post from Jordan, and the guarantee to a courtesy car if 3 weeks notice (not all dealerships need this) having looked at  links etc it is clear that a courtesy car is to be made available in various situations but at no point is payment mentioned. Some information reads different and slightly contradicts one another but overview is No charge

I would ring the dealership and say you’ve checked with Motability and they said thier are no charges, if they don’t budge then call motability and let them deal with it.

Its probably just that dealerships booking in process and the person making the  booking wasn’t aware of any difference and just following procedures.

#83969 Reply
    POPS

Years ago the Skoda garage in the next town tried to charge me £10 “for insurance” on a courtesy car when my vehicle went in for a service.

I refused on principle as it was “part of the lease deal” and insisted over the phone that they collected and returned my car to my home address, which they duly did.

They had the car for approximately six hours, and the result cost them much more (two drivers and a vehicle) than the £10 they would have made out of the “courtesy’ option.

#83972 Reply
    Philjb

I never paid or gave any notice.

I booked through the service booking line and they told me what dates were available for collection from my house.

They asked me if a golf would be suitable, I said I needed something with a taller seat.

So they gave me another Tiguan, dropped off when mine was collected.

They had my car over night, all I did was replaced the fuel I used.

Great service and no need for me to contact motability.

#83986 Reply
    Rhiannon

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks for the responses, I’ve been back in touch with the dealership and they have said it will be free after all as it’s Motability</p>

#83989 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Good news.

Just make sure the courtesy car is suitable to you.

#83991 Reply
    ian

The charge is for additional insurance cover. You get the basic for free but you can pay the £15 to cover the £1,000 excess should you have an accident. The choice is your’s

#83992 Reply
    T.J
    Participant

Bit late as the OP says its all sorted but was going to say it might be a fuel deposit type thing – you pick the car up with 1/4 tank and are expected to return it with the same and get given the £15 back, if not they use the money to cover the cost of the fuel and someone’s time to put it in.

#83997 Reply
    JS

There is no £1000 excess you are covered under the same rules as your contract with Motability, for security reasons they can ask to swip a card but this should be zero or a refundable 99p. Basically the dealership just signs over responsibility to motability on their internal back office system.

Pay nothing but Fuel!

#83999 Reply
    UncJ
    Participant

Re: Insurance – I’ve found the key is to take in your Motability insurance certificate when using a dealers courtesy car to ensure they put the car on Mota’s insurance instead of the dealers own insurance. As JS say’s, there is no excess above the usual amount on your Motability insurance but there will be (usually £1000) if the dealer puts it on theirs.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by UncJ.
    #84005 Reply
    jamesg

Why  if it is only to get you home and back to collect your car  if like me was for a serious  recall  asked me for £20  told them where he could stick his courtesy  car  well done  BMW

#84007 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

As UncJ says, courtesy cars are covered on your RSA insurance. Just take your insurance documents with you when you drop your car off. Some dealers won’t need to see it as they cover you themselves at no charge but never pay anything if asked.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Mercedes Benz B180 Premium Plus.

#84016 Reply
    jamesg

WardyGTC  They wanted the money for petrol used to get me from  the dealership  to home and back to collect my car  it was a RECALL  Dick  Turpin  comes to mind

#84026 Reply
    Philjb

Wow how far is the dealers from your house?

Dick Turpin is right.

They collected and delivered mine foc, the guy who dropped it off put it down as having half a tank of fuel when it was more like three quarters full, so I didn’t need to even put fuel in it.

#84031 Reply
    jamesg

16 mile  round  trip

#84038 Reply
    JS

Unfortunately some dealerships and sales people don’t have a clue! alot of dealerships will try it on to get extra money, some are just staff following protocol and don’t know any different. I can’t say this enough Pay NOTHING! No deposits, no upfront costs, no excess etc. Within your over £3000 a year everything is allowed for, just add fuel,

disclaimer. You Are responsible for any parking or road traffic acts within accordance to the law or local authorities.

#84090 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

Unfortunately some dealerships and sales people don’t have a clue! alot of dealerships will try it on to get extra money, some are just staff following protocol and don’t know any different. I can’t say this enough Pay NOTHING! No deposits, no upfront costs, no excess etc. Within your over £3000 a year everything is allowed for, just add fuel, disclaimer. You Are responsible for any parking or road traffic acts within accordance to the law or local authorities.

Another Disclaimer, If they tried to charge me, just for the cheek of it courtesy car would be going back with some nice melted choc on carpet and back seat from my 3 year old… muhahahahha 😛 Ok joking but I would be tempted… the cheek of it.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Courtesy car charge
Your information: