could you pass the driving test today

• Creator
    Topic
  • #139411 Reply
    martinod

iv been driving about 37 years and i sure iv picked up a few bad habits , yet i still think i am a good driver i think my driving lessons were £4  each at the time i was 17

with lots of things changing over the years with driving test if you were to sit a driving test and theory test  today do you think you would pass with all the changes , be honest.

i would like to say yes , but i not sure

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #139414 Reply
    Lou

I have always been complimented on my smooth safe driving and have never to this day got a single point or fine….been driving 15yrs this year (16yrs if you add the learning) but I will hand on heart say, no I do not think I will pass if I had to take my test again. It was about £15-£20 an hour for a single lesson when I done it and the theory was a solid 35 questions (which I got full marks first time)….I would not like to take it again but I do want to train for a hgv licence 😎

#139415 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I have been driving for nearly 40 years, taught by the military, and had car, HGV2 and tracked vehicle licences, as well as high speed training for blue light duties.  Would I pass the current driving test…  I hope not!

Would I pass the Institue of advanced drivers test, probably.

The initial driving test really only teaches you the basics of driving and how to pass a test, not how to drive.  I’m always looking 4 or 5 cars ahead, drive to the conditions and indicate when needed, if there’s no one around I don’t bother.  I expect if I focused on keeping my hands on the wheel, moved the mirrors to force me to move my head to see in them so the examiner could see that etc, I could pass the test, but that really isn’t a great level to be at.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#139424 Reply
    joss

Long time driver. Past my Motorbike licence before my car licence. Would I pass today’s current Driving licence including the theory?

I would like to say yes as I have bought a copy of latest theory  and test. got it from eBay. I found it very useful to recap after all these years. I always wanted to do my advance test, but illness got in the way.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#139431 Reply
    Lou

Intranicity, would love to get some advice/tips etc but am new to the site and sure it’s not allowed here 😐 my partner was on artics…..lost his life to covid before he could talk me through it all in depth.

#139434 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Intranicity, would love to get some advice/tips etc but am new to the site and sure it’s not allowed here 😐 my partner was on artics…..lost his life to covid before he could talk me through it all in depth.

Sorry to hear about your loss Lou.

Not sure what kind of advice you’re after, but driving HGV’s for a living with a disability might not be the best idea, but nothing (Depending on your disability) to stop you from learning and taking your test (Subject to medical and huge costs)

If it’s becoming a better driver, the Institute of Advanced Motorists do some good courses, https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses  Also getting up to a local race track and skid pan is a great confidence booster and will teach you some great skills

Previous Motability Cars

#139439 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

like intranicity i am ex military and was taught to drive in an hgv at 17 only had any actual training in a car later in germany on a course designed for evasive driving in civilian cars in northern ireland usually for drivers of high ups and dignatories etc great fun j-turns hand brake turns etc. also did hazmat for refueling helicopters when attached to the army air corps.

#139445 Reply
    Lou

Thankyou,

Would be far too terrified for the race type track lol am your typical stick to the limit and do under at a camera site kind of driver…am an awful passenger after having someone crash into me just 2 weeks after passing (many years ago now). Had to give up all my hands on jobs when my condition deteriorated…currently awaiting second major surgery. Driving I can manage but I need a lot of time off due to my health (have only been able to have agency work due to this 👎) I still find it quite hard looking back at what I use to be able to manage compared to now 😐

#139446 Reply
    Lou

I’m not really sure what advice I was looking for exactly, I was quite interested on the theory side of it all. I don’t want to overwrite the post with this tho so il leave it at that and Thankyou for taking the time to respond 👍 greatly appreciated

#139447 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Have a look at defensive driving techniques, it will give you some idea of the theory, but a lot of it is about being prepared and expecting the unexpected, once you get used to it, it becomes natural, found an American youtube video, it’s not perfect, but gives you some ideas and things to think of.

Previous Motability Cars

#139448 Reply
    Lou

Thankyou very much intranicity 👍

#139449 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

I’ve had my full license since 2011 and have picked up some bad habits which can be described as minor. An acquaintance of mine is a qualified driving instructor and “assessed” me in between lockdowns 1 and 2 and said from a professional aspect, they would pass me with a few minors (driving too quickly, swerving within my lane (to avoid potholes), and distraction driving (adjusting the infotainment monitor).

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#139454 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, Intranicity. Most interesting. If I had to take a test today I would certainly fail: I’ve been told that showing that you can use the sat nav is now part of the test. Cannot even turn the thing on and do not want to. Just another big-time distraction from looking at the road. Sometimes use the map but will pull over and stop to do so.

#139459 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I still find it quite hard looking back at what I use to be able to manage compared to now 😐

Lou, I was injured in the build up to the Gulf War in 1990, lost my career etc, but never wanted to admit to being dis(Less)abled.  My focus over the following 20+ years, was on what I had lost and couldn’t do.  I was taking opioid pain relief the whole time and ended up on Fentanyl and a bottle of whisky a day!

I was fortunate to take part in the first Invictus Games, which made a huge difference to me, I realised I’d been suffering from depression for years, but the main change was changing my focus, up til then, it had been on what I couldn’t do, after it was on what I could.  A very subtle change but life changing.

Sounds like you might be in a similar place!

PS  I now take no pain releif and drink because I’d like a drink (not often) rather than needing one

Previous Motability Cars

#139494 Reply
    Lou

That sums how I feel up perfectly, I couldn’t tell you how many times Iv overdosed on opioids (accidentally) out of the severe and intense pain. It makes me feel like I am not normal if that makes sense. Everything I love doing and am good at I can no longer do at all or without a lot of help and I think that’s what I struggle with. I also struggle with how it’s affected my whole social life & relationships for many years but I tend to not be open about that as I come across a happy person 🙂

#139496 Reply
    Lou

P.s what was the invictus games like? Big achievement! Very big well done and wow

#139606 Reply
    Anonymous

Thankyou very much intranicity.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: could you pass the driving test today
Your information: