Could we write to motability ask to increasing cap and other needs we have

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Clough 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117583 Reply

martino

would we get anywhere if we write to motability and ask them to increasing price cap as prices of cars have increased , maybe put a list together of all the things we have discussed on here, issues we have, also ask for reduction of advance payment. explain how a lot of us cant just get a basic car with nil deposit because of various issues and need cars to help our disabilities which means a high advance payment and we struggle to pay as a lot of us are on limited income and don’t have a lot or any money left every month to save for an A/P.

Because of disabilities or illnesses, we need to spend extra money on things to help use life, like needing the heating on more often, (even in summer) because your always cold , incontinence pants?( because free ones are bad) , a special food diet(which cost more ) ,ect i know there are lots of other stuff . All these things mean we are having to spend it to live .

and then we need to try and save lots of money every month for three years to try and get a suitable car to be able to get out .

Would we get anywhere, would it help or does motability care to list after all i think they say that we are all happy with the service and cars

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117597 Reply

PillBoy
    Participant

I think it would be worth it.  The largest and number one problem facing users is the disparity in prices for needing an automatic compared to a manual.  The whole raison detre of the scheme is to provide suitable vehicles for people with disabilities, yet despite so many (I have no idea of percentages) needing an automatic,  the price disparity puts a lot of  the cars out of the reach of many of the schemes members.  At the very least it like an additional tax on people having no other option than to drive an automatic.

#117599 Reply

mitch
    Participant

for those veterans out there dont forget there is a grant available if you need an automatic due to the injury that you get wpms etc for. its straight forward and not means tested you just ring motability and ask to speak to grants dept its a simple form and could get you up to £640 towards the ap.

i dont know if theres anything similar for pip.

#117610 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

i dont know if theres anything similar for pip.

I don’t think there is mitch other than putting forward a please, please, please, begging letter for a grant and opening up your bank account for god knows who to see.

If I’d passed my driving test back in 74 with an automatic I wouldn’t mind so much but I had a license to drive cheaper cars but was taken away from me because of my disability.

#117638 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

With the money Motability make I can’t see why they can’t have parity in price between auto and manual.

Auto’s are worth more too when they are sold off.

#117643 Reply

Uday

I think including with the above an increase to the BHP and Insurance Group limits for Under 25’s could be a shout too. The thread on here shows many different members looking for a change to them so it’s worth including in..

#117649 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

With the money Motability make I can’t see why they can’t have parity in price between auto and manual. Auto’s are worth more too when they are sold off.

Hi Elliot

I think the numbers for disabled drivers on Motability is about one third actually drive their cars and if you say that half to three quarter’s of them need an automatic by disability it’s not a large outlay for Motability for parity with manual drivers.

#117654 Reply

joss
    Participant

Gentlemen and ladies. You may find this document I am about to post very helpful to read regarding this topic. Please take time to read at you leisure. Then discuss further. I will point out this Document is for Scotland. Though also relevant to England I think.

Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland (MACS)

Report on Round table discussion on National Audit Office report on Motability

Date of discussion: 5thMarch 2019

Read https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/44689/macs-report-motability-roundtable-discussion-may-2019.pdf

Thank you.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#117659 Reply

joss
    Participant

Also for further reading.

Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General Ordered by the House of Commons to be printed on 5 December 2018

This report has been prepared under Section 6 of the National Audit Act 1983 for presentation to the House of Commons in accordance with Section 9 of the Act Sir Amyas Morse KCB Comptroller and Auditor General National Audit Office30 November 2018HC 1681 | £10.00The Motability scheme.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/The-Motability-scheme.pdf

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#117661 Reply

martino

that was a lot of reading very interesting but there is so many points i picked up on.

it sort of covers a lot of what we have been saying

they seam to imply motability  profits should help the customer us , but the only thing i can see is GCB and a payment if you loose pip . i think they only do that so they are seen to give something back  so they don’t look to greedy.

could they may be help us if we contacted them

#117662 Reply

joss
    Participant

There is no end user group that would allow us the end user to have our thoughts heard. In my eyes, that is wrong on so many levels.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#117663 Reply

martino

i really don’t think us speaking to anyone about our concerns and issues will make any difference what so ever , they would be sympathetic to our issues and fog us off ,,,  or am i just being cynical

#117666 Reply

Andrew Milay

I think this is something really worth looking at with regards to issues with the motability system, I’ve just had to pay the automatic tax, I may well have been able to get a grant but due to need g a car for hospital etc in the next 6 weeks it meant scrimping and saving and hold g the begging hat out with family. Not something I enjoy doing.

I think motability needs to look at perhaps creating a user group of customers who can relay issues, etc. I mean how can they know what we the disabled driver needs when they don’t really talk to us.

#117668 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

I think we need to be patient and see how prices go once things get back closer to normal.

A low spec generic Auto car wouldn’t interest me as my needs are greater and that’s only one thing I look for in finding a suitable vehicle. Now I’m not  driving I know my children would prefer a manual to an auto.

Tiguan fan boy

#117688 Reply

Dafydd

Thank you very much for the information Joss it is truly illuminating. It appears that Motability Operations is being run like a Footsie 100 Company. Bonuses appear to be paid solely on how much profit is being produced rather than how well we its customers are being served. Whilst I would agree that the Motability scheme is an excellent one there is little managerial accountability. There is no doubt that it needs to be updated and reminded about its raison d’etre i.e to provide the best service to the vulnerable people that are its customers. It should also be reminded of its responsibility to the environment which should mean a heavy bias towards cleaner energy cars.

#117691 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

I agree with both Joss and Dafydd.

There should be representatives from their customers so concerns etc could be put to them.

At times it feels like they are so detached from us.

#117701 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I can feel a Motability Trade Union coming on here. 😁

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117703 Reply

Saintsman

It’s interesting that bonuses have been paid on achieving or exceeding targets. I know that’s normal practice in business, but what targets have Motability directors been set?

Was there a target to increase the customer base? In which case did directors walk around towns smashing people’s legs with a hammer, then hand them a leaflet about the Motability scheme.

This quarter in particular has been ridiculous both with price increases and lack of choice, for the sake of one day I’ve spent £300 more because I couldn’t come back on the scheme until 1st July. I consider myself fortunate to be able to afford one of the highest AP’s, if not the highest, on the scheme but it wasn’t always like this. I struggled to afford the £250 AP back in 2006 when I first joined Motability. I really feel sorry for everyone who is now struggling to afford the latest prices, especially with the virus situation. It is this type of unseen circumstance that the £1 billion should be used for, that money should not be sitting in a bank somewhere it should be spent, but we as customers have no say, ridiculous.

#117735 Reply

PillBoy
    Participant

i really don’t think us speaking to anyone about our concerns and issues will make any difference what so ever , they would be sympathetic to our issues and fog us off ,,, or am i just being cynical

The best way to be heard would be to get our MPs involved.  If they started writing letters to the Directors of Motability outlining our problems and concerns,  then maybe there may be a chance of change.

It’s the best way forward and is an easy thing to do.

#117736 Reply

martino

mp’s will have more influence that you or me u might

#117739 Reply

PillBoy
    Participant

For ease, a template letter could be made up to be used , while people could also write their own personal letters if preferred.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  PillBoy.
    #117807 Reply

Chris Clough

We spoke to Motability about this at our last renewal and due to some special circumstances they were very willing to let us buy off list. However, there is a catch. We would have to pay the full difference between the price cap and the trade value of the car ie no Motability discount as the AP. Turned out that was way too much so we kept the XC60 for another two years. If you want to do this you have to get to management level as all you get from the call handlers is its not possible.

The lease is now up in October so the hunt is on!

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Could we write to motability ask to increasing cap and other needs we have

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: