Could someone confirm in regards to extending lease?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155667 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Hey,

i had a google around, i just want to confirm that i’m correct in assuming here. Our lease runs out soon-ish, and we’re debating currently to extend the lease (we’re below 15.000 miles) for a bit.

Now, i’ve read conflicting things here. On the motability webpage, it says you can extend for either 12, or 24 months (depending on their approval). In threads in this forum (from 2019) i’ve read that you can extend in smaller increments, and on top of that, you can terminate the lease as soon as you find a suitable replacement car.

Lets say we try to extend our current lease (Ateca Excellence Lux 1,5 TSI DSG) by a year, and find a car three months into that extension. Can we then immediately order the new car and terminate the Ateca lease at the delivery date, or do we need to keep the Ateca over the entirety of the extension?

Bit confused here.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155668 Reply
    garry
    Participant

Hey, @Rene

The most common is to extend your lease to 5 years, then you can order and take delivery of a new car anytime in that period.

This also allows you to take advantage of any special offers on stock only vehicles that come along.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by garry.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by garry.
    #155672 Reply
    Landyman

I’ve just extended my lease to five years and as garry has already posted I was told that I could change at any time in that extra two years.

#155674 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Cheers, that makes things easier.

#155943 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

One minor thing to keep in mind is that by extending an extra year or two might affect the good condition “bonus” you get back by about £100 or so.

I am in the same situation and have called motability about this and they have confirmed on two occasions that you can get another car anytime during the extended lease.

#156022 Reply
    machoco

You mean you can get an extra 2-400 gcb at the end of the lease. Not less

#156025 Reply
    Brydo

Extending your lease by two years means you can change anytime during that two years. If you keep the car to the end of the five years, not one day before, you get a good condition bonus of £900.

#156027 Reply
    Lee Bengough

here a tip for you as well if you plan on keeping the car for 5 years don’t do what I did.

I didn’t think I would get the good condition bonus due to a dent in the sill and all my alloys had corroded.

so I took delivery of the new car at 4 years and 11 months old to be exact. Well turns out they gave me the Bonus after all but I lost out on £200 by having the new car one month before reaching 5 years old.

#157303 Reply
    Dexter

Hi, can I extend my lease to 5 years even if the car has 60k miles after 3 years

#157306 Reply
    Mmoreton5

I’d imagine so considering your yearly allowance is 20k

#157307 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Hi, can I extend my lease to 5 years even if the car has 60k miles after 3 years

Ordinarily no, It used to be only low mileage cars, BUT, due to the current situation with Covid and microchip shortages, Motability is being realistic, and know that you might not be able to change right now. The only way to know for definite is to ask.  I extended earlier this year and was already over 60k at the time, I only asked for a year, but they may allow 5 if you ask.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Could someone confirm in regards to extending lease?
Your information: