Could Motability but together packages with manufactures?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  BionicRusty (Wayne) 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117553 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

I have learnt alot about the different needs of the people on this forum and wondered if it was not within the ability of motability to agree a package with manufactures to include options which help make life easier. I know you can get business spec cars for the fleet market.

An example would be, A Tiguan (seems to be popular on here) with leather/heated seats, with electric movment and memory function, reversing camera and electric tailgate. Not for free obviously but included in the AP as part of the specification for motability.

Current car VW Touran SEL

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117556 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>They already do it @newyork1, or have done for some models. Some Mini’s have different packs but not sure about other makes. But I agree, if they offered some of the disabled friendly packs more like heated and electric seats, that would be perfect. 👍👍</p>

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117567 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Hmm… manufactures getting together with Motability to design the perfect car for the disabled?

Isn’t that what they did when they came up with the blue three wheeler.😁

#117568 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Yes, Chris, that’s the problem.

Someone (most likely not disabled) would ‘decide’ that it is the ‘perfect vehicle’ for all disabled and suddently it becomes the sole choice of vehicle – take it or leave it.

Should it be a SUV – not always ideal for those who need 7 seats. Should it be a low car, so that ‘vertically challenged’  people can get in/out easily. What about someone with a large powerchair that only fits into a cavernous Berlingo type boot?

Take seating for example, you only have to read back through the forum so far to see that some people need leather seats, some need velour seats – both for valid and good reasons.

Then some need heated seats, some do not, some need ventilated seats  – where does it lie?  Then why should someone pay for something they don’t need (the ‘packs’ issue amplified).

In the end you get a lash up of things that suits no-one!

#117572 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

What would be better is instead of the fixed packs that might only have 1 or 2 things that a disabled customer needs and therefore would require several packs to get the things needed, if they allowed mota customers a variable pack and they could put different thing in that pack and be charged on a number basis, might work if they were sensible about it.

#117579 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

The idea would be to use there vast costomer bass to come up with a general idea of what most would need. It wont suit everyone but you would still be free to pick normal spec car levels this is just somrthing extra. In the same vein as the mini’s work with the nav+/comfort pack for an increased AP but much less then buying the packs as options. Maybe on some of there most popular cars or manufactures.

#117606 Reply

JS

my own thoughts on it.

i think the main issue would be Residual sales of such vehicles, at present mainly a second hand motability car as a one owner vehicle has good standing and reputation within the second hand car market, due to be able to advertise it as one owner fully maintained ect, nobody knows once brought as the specs are the same as any other vehicle. Adding a “Disabled” Spec would confuse Joe Public and have a impact on resale prices. plus i agree it would result in less choice as manufactures would be less willing to discount other models, on more than one occasion ive heard sales staff stating a certain model is not on motability as a sales pitch for retail customers.

#117608 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

To the secondhand market it would just appear a normal car with options. Only us as customers at time of order would know it’s a special. This does already occur within the scheme. Ford include an option for nav and the appearance pack was free on Kugas a while back. Mini does a pack deal and peugeot used to offer the larger wheels on 5008 active which made it look like an allure. I was just wondering if they could broaden there horizons to maybe include what we want rather then what car makers want to push.

#117609 Reply

Simon

Excellent idea, would be a lot more desirable on the second hand market with the options you stated.

#117612 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

To the secondhand market it would just appear a normal car with options. Only us as customers at time of order would know it’s a special. This does already occur within the scheme. Ford include an option for nav and the appearance pack was free on Kugas a while back. Mini does a pack deal and peugeot used to offer the larger wheels on 5008 active which made it look like an allure. I was just wondering if they could broaden there horizons to maybe include what we want rather then what car makers want to push.

Rear parking sensors are also a free add on for Motability customers too though that’s becoming less of a thing these days as most cars have them anyway.

#117613 Reply

rox
    Participant

One size doesn’t fit all as many have said and imo the economics of it, is the biggest problem.

if Mb ordered all the car’s on the 1st of jan for the 1st of april delivery with each car maker it could work..

but then you’d have to wait till that time came around again to get onto the scheme. So each car is bought individually for that reason I guess.

Personally i’ve had 4 cars on the scheme now and each one i have added no extras at all and i have got what was important to me and on some cars certain things where added xtras so was not an option for me. like having adaptive cruise control.. overall i have been very happy with cars i have got on the scheme.

This time I went again with the ones options i wanted did come as standard, which also ticked my other options like being an automatic, having comfortable seats and is big enough for the family etc etc and day to day living.

I had to pay an Ap which was alot for me to pay but i accept that and plan for it. I could of got the same model car that was cheaper and would of been ok but i decided to go with the more expensive option as i wanted more power as well over the cheaper option, on my last 3 cars i have gone with the cheaper slower  more mpg options and now i want a change… for my own reasons and for my son who not here anymore.

The more that is on a car the more it costs. Take for instance all the tech, it also needs code written to operate it and because of eu competition laws i read vw are having trouble with the flagship id car project as they cannot co-op with bmw etc in creating a shared operating system.

There is the hidden cost of r&d to consider as well. The vw / audi cars get the tech first and thus cost more than the 2nd gen tech goes on the seat and skoda.

Plus with a fleet you know what you want 10 of those 5 of those and 40 of them please. were Mb don’t actually know how many or when they will be ordered by us the leaser. I do believe there is something for everyone on the scheme to get them mobile, but maybe only a few choices if you require certain things above and beyond because of you condition, then you apply for a grant. if you want more toys then No. as just as something makes life easier is don’t mean it’s necssesary like a rear camera thats why on a van you have wing mirrors.. rear parking sensors yes a camera no.. Got one on the current car and it ain’t that good to tell you the truth. not a deal breaker for me. For some it might not be car but a van type or a wav is what they need over a car or suv mpv etc..and then you limited even more. so I dunno what the right term is but a car of the level that one could be acustomed to or aspire to be acustomed to is not always possible on the scheme and nor should it be imo.

#117636 Reply

NewYork1

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Another option would be to alter the price cap to allow potential cars like GLC, X3, XC60 more from the 3 series range,  Audi A4 etc. These cars would already have most the desired equipment as standard no need for options. AP would be high but the grant scheme or people opting for a 5 year lease to cover the costs. As a presicent most have already been on the scheme before the Daily Mail cull.</p>

#117642 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Thinking about this, perhaps  manufacturers and dealers would oppose this as they recoup a higher profit margin on extras as opposed to  the sale of the car as the extras are fully marked up.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Could Motability but together packages with manufactures?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: