Costs : Diesel v Petrol

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar vinalspin 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #82424 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

We are seeing more and more diesel options being removed from the Scheme as Manufacturers are being pushed towards Petrol, Hybrid and Electric but with the new Euro 6d qualifications for emissions their is life in the old oil burner.

The sales of diesel cars is starting to pick up, not continue to decline as one would expect. In Germany January 2019 new car sales fell 1.4%, but sales of diesel cars increased 2.1%, giving the powertrain a 34.5% market share.  Here in the UK diesel sales for June 2019 were still 26.4% of sales against 27.7% for May 2019.

We have drawn up the following graph of the saving in running costs of a diesel over a petrol car. We have used 123.7 for petrol and 125.7 for diesel and 40mpg for diesel and 33mpg for petrol (This seems fair but we can change it as requested)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #82434 Reply
    wonky

Hi all,  Good topic!

Personally I think the difference between diesel and petrol mpg , should be greater.  E.g. 30 petrol and 40 diesel, all other aspects being equal.

This of course makes the saving even greater.

Regards,  wonky

#82435 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Wonky:

Difference at 30 petrol and 40 mpg diesel:

#82437 Reply
    BigB

Hi WMC,

I appreciate what you are trying to demonstrate with your table and for Mobility users it will be relatively accurate albeit in my area diesel is 5p more than petrol.

For private drivers it is a completely different picture once the higher cost of purchasing a diesel car, the higher servicing costs, the cheaper road tax, the higher  cost of diesel are all factored together I seem to  recall a diesel car was only cheaper to run if you were doing circa 20k miles per annum.

#82439 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Big B

I took the fuel prices from my local supermarket this morning.

It’s a confusing time. In the last year I have gone from assuming my next vehicle would be diesel to thinking it would be have to be petrol, then perhaps a hybrid and finally only an electric car will do and now I am back to the thinking the only realistic option is another diesel. I am sure I am not alone

I agree we are fortunate as Motability customers. We only have the cost of running and cost of AP to factor into our financial thinking.

#82441 Reply
    BigB

I will go all electric if and a big if, a vehicle comes on the scheme with a minimum of 250 mile range and a big enough boot to accommodate my wife’s scooter and wheelchair. I have a sneaky feeling though that Motability’s 225bhp limit is going to kick in and we will not see the more suitable vehicles getting on to the scheme.

#82443 Reply
    Philjb

My mobility car does about 20k a year as my family are spread out all over the country and with a diesel I don’t have to worry about refuelling or recharging somewhere on route and waiting for it to charge.

So for me only a hybrid petrol or diesel will do.

But my vw diesel easily does 50 mpg on a motorway or long A road run.

#82445 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

My options are very limited – in fact currently limited to diesel only. Also it must have a decent sized boot for my chariot.

I travel 35 miles to work and same back on a mix of ‘A’ roads and the A1(M) motorway. Then sometimes I have to go out into the sticks to visit clients on farms.

When mine was in for a service I had a petrol loaner and I was horrified how much fuel it used in the commute alone.

As plug in charger points around here are about as rare as genuine Stradivarius violins – diesel is the only way to go.

Dave

#82449 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I too am questioning the appearance of an effordable and decent size SUV BEV, not just, on the scheme but in general and I am therefore considering to jump to another diesel for the next three years hoping things will change during that time. We do about 10,000 miles a year so a petrol would be an expensive option.

The wife got onto the motability website last night, never a good idea, and gave me a short list of the Volvo XC40, Mazda CX5, Honda CR-V and Tiguan. Out of the four the Tiguan is by far the cheapest but no leather seats i believe, with those it becomes the most expensive.

Really want a deal to come on the scheme, something like we had before when the XC60 came on, but of course no chance of that happening.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#82458 Reply
    Philjb

Bri try the massage function on the top spec Tiguan with comfort seats.

Thats what made my mind up.

Im not a big lover of leather seats especially in the summer. My bum sweats like mad.  ?

Mind you I’ve had leather in many cars in past, but lack of it isn’t a deal breaker for me.

Now if a car like the new xc60 came on the scheme I’d be signing up for one. Lovely motor.

#82461 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Phil I think sometimes the word “need” and “essential” are over used and this is no different in our case. Leather seats make life so much easier to get the wife in and out of the car but not “essential”. however if given the choice we would go leather.

I haven’t started looking properly as my mind changes from day to day on what we should do, but I will certainly look at the Tiguan even though it is last on my list for looks. The value for money, leather seats aside, just can’t be overlooked.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#82462 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

My current diesel aside I have usually gotten around the mid 50’s mpg from my previous diesel cars and as far as servicing goes diesel on general is the cheaper service option, oil and filter, no plugs/coil packs, no HT circuit to deal with at all, no issues keeping the CO2 emissions down either, no MAS sensors etc to worry about, the main cost is if the DPF has issues but having said all that we who use the scheme don’t have to worry about servicing costs so no reason to factor that in in this instance for the running costs comparison.

MY next car(can order in October) will have to be another diesel as there just isn’t a viable petrol/hyb rid/bev on the scheme(or at all tbh) at the moment.

My mileage is around 36k right now and I am getting awful mpg from this car, equivalent to a petrol so I know what the difference would be if I chose a petrol over the Pug diesel I’m hoping to get next(either on the scheme or buying 2nd hand) and the money saved over 3 years will pay either the AP or cover the depreciation.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Costs : Diesel v Petrol

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: