Coronavirus

• This topic has 1,415 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #108156 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is a lot of knowledge amongst us, I exclude myself.

The COVID 19 is dominating the news:

How worried should we be?

Will this be Spanish flu proportions or just another contained outbreak as SARS and MERS were?

Oh – and when will we start to see ‘Just in time’ manufacturing suffer?

Viewing 25 replies - 1,376 through 1,400 (of 1,415 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143332 Reply
    POPS

A separate thread would be more suitable.

#143341 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Folks, please do not start a separate thread on account of me. I’ve said my bit. Am sure that some will agree and others disagree. That’s rather the point of posting here, I suppose. Will not post on this slightly off-topic stuff any more.

#143622 Reply
    ajn

Freedom 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇬🇧😃🌻

#143623 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

The motorhome and caravan reclaim the streets of Wales.

#144179 Reply
    ajn

56 pages of guessing, doom, gloom, graphs of all colours, agreeing, disagreeing, moaning, even self importance…..

YET

Nothing when things are looking just a tiny bit better, strange that 😳🌻

#144751 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Has anyone else noticed the less bullish news generally on Covid. I was highly skeptical when Boris announced that come June 21st we would be basically back to normal and now the words “a semblance of normality” and ” continued social distancing and use of masks” are being used with worries of a 3rd wave in July/August, which some scientists say could be as bad as the second we saw peak in January. There are articles which compare the outcomes in Israel and Chile, both of whom have a good vaccine record, but unlike Israel which has seen rates plummet, they have risen sharply in Chile. One difference is the type of vaccine used, Israel only used Pfizer, Chile a combination of Pfizer and Sinovac, from China. Now questions have been raised at how effective some of the vaccines actually are at preventing spread, including AZ, where the debate about blood clots rumbles on. None of this is great for public confidence when we get such a mixed and confusing message from central government and for those of us who have received our 1st AZ dose, a debate about the benefits of a second dose.

#144752 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I share your concerns, fwippers. The fact remains, despite published optimistic stats, that some 8,000 people are losing their lives to covid. Availability of stats is also puzzling, not to say concerning. All manner of complex comparisons and numbers published but I cannot find any simple figures for number of deaths in my area. Anyone else having trouble?

#144753 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #145105 Reply
    ajn

Mrs ajn was booked in for Sunday 1st jab, phoned with concerns of which jab was going to be used.

They said AZ she explained her concerns, had an invite for this afternoon with a Pfizer jab instead.

She says it’s eased her mind not having AZ and after listening to all the jabbering on the news it’s eased mine too.

🌻

#145110 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@Wigwam Thank you so much for the link. Absolutely brilliant – tells me everything I want to know. Apologies for delay in replying to your kind efforts – got distracted by gardening and cooking! 🌻

#145807 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

I see there’s now an India variant which their concerned about, and saying the vaccines might not be as effective, I’ve had my first Pfizer jab and due my second in may, I can definitely see us getting boosters again each year at least.

Would you believe I know someone that had their Pfizer jab six weeks ago, they were tested for antibodies as part of a trial, they tested negative for any antibodies! Their confused and so are the people doing the trial, it’s certainly a weird one, their having their second jab Monday, their going to test her again in another six weeks, I’m a bit worried over it, her husband had the Oxford jab and he tested positive for antibodies, maybe it was a mistake at the lab or something, they did retest her yesterday as a double check

#145861 Reply
    POPS

I’ve had my 2nd AZ jab this morning. Hopefully in a couple of weeks time the chances of me being a potential spreader of Covid 19 will be dramatically minimised.

The way to marginalise this virus is for each of us to get vaccinated in order to protect others, and to continue to follow social distancing etc for the foreseeable future.

If we are unfortunate enough to contract coronavirus after 2 jabs then at least we should individually be able to avoid serious illness or hospitalisation. Being fully inoculated in order to protect our friends, neighbours and people we have daily contact with is a really meaningful gift in my opinion.

#145872 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

@POPS , great post and very true, I can’t wait till we’re all jabbed and I can see my parents for a nice BBQ in the summer.

I just hope that a huge percentage of people take up the offer for their jab when invited , it’s going to be the only way out of the restrictions and serious illness

#145876 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I have my second AZ jab this week and am looking forward to some degree of normality in a cautious way. There are reports that the vaccines offer limited protection against some of the new strains, so I am not expecting life to be fully normal for some time yet but better than last year.

#145877 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

@fwippers , I’m hoping for any normality as my parents have shielded since the very first lockdown , can’t wait to see them and the kids are ecstatic we can see their grandparents soon, my mum’s asked us to wait till me and my wife have had both vaccinations, which is fair, our second ones are the middle of may, when we do go to see my parents we’re still all do a covid test before we go just to be sure.

I hope these variants don’t cause to much trouble

#146051 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Got a call yesterday from NHS Jab people. Set Thursday a.m. for part 2 of the Oxford vaccine. First was early Feb (over 70 and clinically vulnerable); this, second, one was due for early May. Bit early but no way are we complaining. This whole jabbery business seems to be working efficiently and be run by competent, polite people. What will they think of next?

#146093 Reply
    joss

I am also booked in This Thursday Tharg. 9.30am for second jab.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#146097 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Similar timeline to you @Tharg. Only I received a text message saying my second jab had been cancelled with a link to book an appointment, I assumed it was spam at first but turned out to be an early booking. Booked in next week for my second ‘Poundland’ (AZ) jab. Happy and terrified in equal measure and not scared to admit it.

#146098 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

@wmcforum is that terrified of needles? , If so I know the feeling, my wife came in with me for the first jab and had to hold my hand as I was shaking, should get a text from my gp soon for my second Pfizer jab , I’m terrified already eeeeek .

Got to admit I was ok after though, just had a dead arm for a day or two.

I’m normally quite naughty and avoid my flu jab which I really shouldn’t, but I’m awaful with needles , I’ve decided though from now on I’m going to get my flu jab aswell, even if I want to cry when I’m in the chair 🤣

#146099 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Seems to be a bit of a theme here, have my 2nd AZ tomorrow too. It´s noticeable how the Government are trying to downplay things, letting us know that caution is still the keyword. Once my wife has her 2nd jab in 4 weeks and another 3 weeks has passed we are going to try and start doing “normal” things, like visit a shop, maybe have a coffee  on a terrace etc. Will still wash hands, probably wear masks and definitely will be avoiding others as much as possible.

#146102 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I’m with you 110%, fwippers. I reckon we’ll relax our self-isolation just a bit. Maybe start going into a second local shop, still stay away from supermarkets and, sadly, also avoid the charity shops (need some new work shirts!). Shall watch the infection rate and death stats closely. Fear that they will leap up badly in about 2/3 weeks. Reassess then…

#146116 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Perhaps I should devise a “road map” like the governments. Phase 1, after both jabs, spend time outdoors in a a park, beach etc. Phase 2 , visit a shop. Phase 3 Visit a cafe and dine outside. Phase 4 visit a supermarket/similar size store. Phase 5, Eat inside a cafe/restaurant and start, the emphasis being start, mixing with other people. Phase 6, gradually re-integrate. No timescales and depends upon data etc but I would expect my road-map will take place over  months, not weeks and I am not sure if I will get to 6, even 5 until much later this year or beyond.

I am being told by certain family members that “its all OK” now and “everyone is going around as normal” but I am not seeing evidence of this locally and it shows the differing attitudes towards risk etc.

#146229 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Mrs T and I went in for Astra Zeneca jab part-two this a.m. Again, everything went perfectly. Staff are friendly, know what they are doing and do it with confident competence. This is like the NHS used to be about 40+ years ago. Hope this new excellence of service infects other bits of the organisation.

And, yup, fwippers. That sound like a good plan. Some round here are also going down the “it’s all OK” road; all precautions chucked out of the windows and adopting full pre-covid contact actions. Not good.

#146235 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

Spoke to gp today, their going to message me in the next two weeks to book my second Pfizer jab, can’t wait for the extra protection, she told me that once we’re past June we can get on with my spirometry test to see how advanced this bloody copd has got

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Richy.
    #146365 Reply
    joss

Well I had my second jab yesterday morning. Same venue as before and same Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

My arm was throbbing and sore as hell through the night. Still sore this morning. I feel pleased that I have now had my second jab.

Still shielding  though for a little while longer.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 25 replies - 1,376 through 1,400 (of 1,415 total)
Reply To: Reply #145876 in Coronavirus
Your information: