Coronavirus

• Creator
    Topic
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is a lot of knowledge amongst us, I exclude myself.

The COVID 19 is dominating the news:

How worried should we be?

Will this be Spanish flu proportions or just another contained outbreak as SARS and MERS were?

Oh – and when will we start to see ‘Just in time’ manufacturing suffer?

Viewing 25 replies - 1,351 through 1,375 (of 1,420 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

Wigwam have you had the vaccine ? I had mine 3 weeks ago

wmcforum
        Which Mobility Car

Wigwam,

I understand that you like to stimulate debate, I understand that you have strong opinions, but you have misjudged the mood, people are weary, for many (myself included) this has been a year of being near housebound, not seeing loved ones and in many cases loosing them. We have given so much, followed the rules and followed the news, we have been given hope with the vaccine rollout, we have a roadmap, we can cautiously see something approaching normality, all the while being terrified of new variants and a potential third wave. We do not need to be told that everything we have been doing is wrong or should be questioned because this is all we have. Show some caution, show some empathy and reel it in. Please.

Wigwam
          Participant

Oscarmax, some people may be reluctant to have the jab because they remember the hastily developed Pandremix vaccination given to people in response to the swine flu epidemic in 2010 which resulted in 55,000 people developing narcolepsy.  They may also remember the many years victims had to fight the government in court to get any form of compensation.

Daf

I think its worth mentioning that CapX was formed by the Centre for Policy studies which in turn was launched by Thatcher and Keith Joseph, so we can see where their views have evolved from.

They are free market and fairly radical in their right wing views. Many of their members advocate privatisation of the NHS and the stripping away of what they call red tape and what some of us call Workers Rights.

As I say just to give the comments context.

Wigwam
              Participant

Wmcforum, the mood of the country that I see is clearly not the same as you see.  There are very many people frustrated by this government’s decisions and the main stream media’s acquiescence.

If you don’t want people taking a contrary view, then say so and I will post no more here.

Wigwam
                Participant

Daf, your post contextualising the article I posted is interesting for those who don’t know CapX . Is there an online source whose information and opinion you find acceptable?

Intranicity
                  Participant

@Wigwam I also see it in a very similar light to @WMCForum, but can see you don’t, and in the end that’s your right, as ever with people that like to believe in conspiracy or alternate views, there is always something to dig up to push their views, and especially in modern times of the internet and social media, these sources are easy to make up and disseminate.

Quoting Pandremix Vaccination issues is great, but what about the other side, when really good vaccinations like MMR were damaged by bad research.

I don’t know if you do this to cause offence, stir debate, troll or a genuine belief in what you say, but if you continue to post alternate views, to those that many in society are happy to accept for the greater good, please at least have the dignity not to complain when others try and put their viewpoint across, even if it feels like it discredits your view

Previous Motability Cars
                    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
                    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
                    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
                    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
                    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
                    2021 - 2023 Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE
                    2023 - Hyundai Kona Electric Ultimate

Participant

@Wigwam I also see it in a very similar light to @WMCForum, but can see you don’t, and in the end that’s your right, as ever with people that like to believe in conspiracy or alternate views, there is always something to dig up to push their views, and especially in modern times of the internet and social media, these sources are easy to make up and disseminate. Quoting Pandremix Vaccination issues is great, but what about the other side, when really good vaccinations like MMR were damaged by bad research. I don’t know if you do this to cause offence, stir debate, troll or a genuine belief in what you say, but if you continue to post alternate views, to those that many in society are happy to accept for the greater good, please at least have the dignity not to complain when others try and put their viewpoint across, even if it feels like it discredits your view

very well said

Participant

I can’t understand why wigwam living in Bournemouth doesn’t go for a walk and sit on the prom I certainly would I could watch the sea all day long

Wigwam
                        Participant

I would like to have time Menorca Mike. Yesterday would have been great out in the sun – cloudy and dull today and too much work to do.

ajn

Fact here is, there will always be someone with a view of they ARE right, they know everything almost the behaviour of a narcissistic person, when in reality they know nothing more than you or I, they simply DON’T know.

The pretence that they know is a mask of defiance, it can be looked at what’s in history, however this for me is a first in my Adult life.

TBH I haven’t enjoyed it as it’s disrupted my normal happyish life.

But what it has done, it’s made me realise how some love to cause a fuss..

Stay positive with your own personal belief in these testing times.

Wigwam, what part of WMC’s post did you not understand?

This forum is here to make life easier and more bearable for disabled people and their carers. The last year has been horrendous for all of us. Our physical and mental health has suffered and the vaccination is a glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Speaking personally there were times where I wasn’t sure I was going to get through the last year due to post virus complications. I imagine that others on this forum have really struggled as well. Your posts may have originally just been to “stimulate debate” but your repeated posting may now challenge peoples belief that the vaccine is both safe and necessary. You’ve made your point (over and over again) and I would ask you to refrain from posting any more anti vax and anti mask articles.

You qualify your posts by saying that the articles do not necessarily represent your views, but surely you can see that these minority held opinions of people who often have political or radical agendas or are writing paid articles as ‘clickbait’ are potentially damaging to our community of posters.

WMC’s post (10.01 am) gave heartfelt reasons why you should desist. I fully agree with him.

Wigwam
                              Participant

POPS I very much respect your points, although I am disappointed that minority held opinions have no place here. If no-one wants to hear from me on the subject of Coronavirus, then they won’t.

ajn

Maybe a new thread could be made, as we seem to be coming out of the worst of it hopefully, maybe we could express how it have made us feel.

Maybe add 🌻 or something on each post to remember those not so fortunate as us today who didn’t make it through, maybe didn’t even get the chance of the vaccine..

joss

@ajn That is a good idea ajn.

🌼🌻🌷🥀

Joss
                                    Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

ajn

Joss I can’t think of anyone more deserving than yourself to maybe start it off, as I spend limited time on here, or maybe the original thread starter..

It would make a refreshing change 🌻🌼🌸

joss

Your doing ok ajn. I just posted a how to link on your sunflower post.

Joss
                                        Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Tharg
                                        Participant

Well said, Daf. Always worth checking details of source, whether you agree with the statement or not. I understand the point the article makes. The lockdown is doing very bad things to economy and to our lifestyles – I have not seen my children or grand-children for over a year. Would love to put that right but not if it means catching this virus which would definitely kill my wife.

Further data on source reveals that it is funded by a couple of religious organisations. I find this worrying. Moreover the author, Christopher Snowdon, is a regular contributor to the Daily Mail both as a writer and a right-wing “rentaquote”. Need I say more..?

Wigwam
                                          Participant

Tharg, I don’t understand why you find it worrying that an article you clearly thought worth reading was published by a website that is supported by a philanthropist with religious connections.  Surely what matters is the article itself.  Is it any less valid?

Tharg
                                            Participant

The article itself is certainly important. Just as important is who wrote/published it, and why. This is an opinion piece which tries to make me believe in what it says. I do not understand why a “philanthropist with religious connections” wants me to go along with a policy which could put more lives at risk. I am merely doing what you yourself advocate – look at issues from all sides. When I see what I believe is an attempt to control my opinion, I become very sceptical. Particularly in this case when even our government is advocating caution because of the “third wave” of the virus coming our way from Europe.

ajn

Oh Well tried to end the tennis nonsense, seems some like the DOOM.
                                                Just to recap facts of real life experience to date,  both injections received, no frightening experience , pain in arm 30 ish hours, and looking forward to resuming normal life soon hopefully, time with my Son & Daughter out of the house..

Last words from me here cheer up, lighten up some weren’t so lucky as us here TODAY 🌼🌻

Good post ajn.

Wigwam
                                                  Participant

Tharg, surely all opinion pieces are written to inform and hopefully influence your view on a subject. Your opinion can’t be controlled.  I read very widely and am often influenced by what I read.  I can as easily accept or reject the thinking of a writer in the Spectator as I can accept or reject the thinking of a writer in the New Statesman (both of which I subscribe to).   Politically CapX is right wing and libertarian – it doesn’t hide the fact.  It doesn’t make the articles it published any less valid.  Writers and journalists get published where they can, it’s what pays the rent.  The Editors of media such as  CapX, the Daily Mail and the Guardian choose what to publish, not their rather remote financial backers.

You are quite right to be circumspect about the motives of anyone who tries to influence your thinking, but don’t focus on the media that carries the message.  In the old adage, “don’t shoot the messenger because you don’t like the message”

Wigwam
                                                    Participant

Sorry POPS, I’ve no intention of continuing this deviation from the subject of the thread, but if Tharg wants to develop it further we can move it to off topic.

Tharg
                                                      Participant

I take your points, Wigwam. Although, when the “messenger” is the Mail I do find myself reaching for the Purdey. I think what worries me most about this issue is the involvement of the religious organisations. In this country, centuries ago,  we separated Church and State. Others have not been so considered. My concern is that a body which deals in questions of Faith and the mysteries of creation should seek to influence governments and the business of government. Straightforward economics is none of their business; particularly so when the policy they are seen to support wants to prioritise business and profits over the lives of thousands of people. The mission statement might be: Let’s all start making profit again. So what if a few oldies snuff it?

If you think the remote financial backers just let the editors of National Dailies just get on with what they, the editors, want to publish, well, sorry,you’re wrong there. The editors will publish with the bias they have been engaged to support and expand. Moreover, the “proven” facts and “unquestionable” statistics used to support their stuff is very likely, at least, taken out of context or, worse, just not true at all.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,351 through 1,375 (of 1,420 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.