Coronavirus Q&A

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  joss 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #109953 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

This is a place to ask any questions, we can pool our knowledge and help one another out.

Community is key, there are a great many people prepared to help, do not suffer in silence.

• Listen to local radio
    • Find local community groups, many on Facebook – these can help with shopping and prescription collection, informing you which shops have stock of items and when their deliveries come in. My offer stands to help anyone to find their local group, email me your postcode and I will do all I can to find some local help. enquiries@whichmobilitycar.com
    • Shopping Delivery. It has become impossible to schedule a home delivery for supermarkets, I imagine this will improve as the supermarkets take on extra staff.  Your local convenience store may be able to help if you have limited mobility or fall into a high risk group, phone them – people are willing to help.
    • Amazon delivery – they have non perishables to buy and if you are an Amazon Prime member, they operate a service called Prime Now which delivers Morrisons food, in many areas this was a same day service but will now take longer.

I’m prepared to help in any way I can, as I am sure we all are. Stay home and stay strong.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #109996 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Looked into home delivery but being told by old users of the delivery game that their being given dates of Easter and beyond for delivery and those that already had deliveries in the pipeline are getting 6 item out of 10 delivered.

I seen the Motability Corona statement earlier and noted one item about using Kwik-Fit mobile service if you can’t get out then 30 minutes later stumbled on a report about the increase in calls for KF mobile services by the abled bodied so not much hope for us there.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/405419/coronavirus-spike-mobile-tyre-fitting/

Had a lucky escape yesterday when my grandson came to give the car a good cleaning and discovered a screw in the back wheel sending shivers down my spine while opening up the KF web page for repair procedure but then had a close look at the tyre to find it was a short screw so unscrewed it and the tyre is fine but just something like that can cause so much trouble if your unable to get about because of disability no matter dealing with viruses as well.

Silver lining as every cloud has one is petrol prices on the spot market in the USA have dropped today to 50 cents a US Gallon, lowest since 2001 and hope we might see lower prices here even though we ain’t going anywhere soon and one other silver lining, is they cancelled this years Eurovision song contest.

Apologies to folks who like that sort of thing but we need to laugh don’t we. 😁

#110047 Reply

Olpk

Supermarkets now saying they wont take on new customers for home delivery.

#110050 Reply

Phaedra
    Participant

Bit late!

I spent all of tonight ringing the number on the Sainsbury’s website to register as a vulnerable/disabled shopper.  Only 3 options on the system, none of them say anything about it.  Had a Hell of time getting through and almost every time I got the “I’m sorry we’re too busy to talk to you” message before getting cut off.

Eventually got past the first message to choose an option, took over 2hrs to be able to get through enough times to try all 3 options, big surprise, every option ended up with another “I’m sorry we’re too busy to talk to you” message before getting cut off.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#110052 Reply

Philjb

I’ve never used home delivery for food before as we always do our own shopping. I never realised how busy the service is, I know these circumstances aren’t normal so it is in higher demand.
    Can supermarkets not let staff use their own cars to deliver for a while, that would seem the obvious way to quickly increase the supplies to the most vulnerable at least.

#110055 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Bit late! I spent all of tonight ringing the number on the Sainsbury’s website to register as a vulnerable/disabled shopper. Only 3 options on the system, none of them say anything about it. Had a Hell of time getting through and almost every time I got the “I’m sorry we’re too busy to talk to you” message before getting cut off. Eventually got past the first message to choose an option, took over 2hrs to be able to get through enough times to try all 3 options, big surprise, every option ended up with another “I’m sorry we’re too busy to talk to you” message before getting cut off.

I think you should pass your observation to:  mike.coupe@sainsburys.co.uk

He is their CEO and it is about the only Sainsbury’s e-mail address that doesn’t bounce back as message unread.

Dave

#110056 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Can I get in my car on a sunny day drive 10 miles to a carpark which looks over a river to watch the boats going by ? I wouldn’t get out of the car

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#110063 Reply

Phaedra
    Participant

Email sent to Mike Coupe.

I’ve been ringing for the last 45 mins, 99.99% of the time it’s engaged but on the two times I got as far as it answering big surprise, I got the same “Too busy” message and cut off.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#110069 Reply

Philjb

Mike you should only make urgent journeys so to collect meds or shopping or to go to work if your front line staff. Doc, nurse, supermarket worker, delivery driver, food producer.

Not for driving to a beauty spot. Even if you don’t get out.
    If you had an accident you’re taking away emergency staff who could be dealing with critically unwell people.

#110073 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Ok Phil thankyou for the reply

#110074 Reply

Philjb

No problem mike I’m sure a lot of disabled people would love to sit in the car in the sun somewhere nice, trouble is it then leads to masses of people copying, which is what has been happening over the weekend at beauty spots.

#110098 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’m not sure how long it will take for the supermarkets to sort home deliveries, I’m not even sure if it is possible. It’s forcing the vulnerable out into the streets and crowded shops. Perhaps taxi companies could start offering shopping services.

#110105 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’ve just managed to get a click and collect from the supermarket! It is for the 14th April but I celebrated like the Range Rover PHEV joined the Motability Scheme at nil Advance Payment.

https://www.landrover.co.uk/vehicles/phev/phev-vehicles/range-rover.html

#110111 Reply

Footloose

In reply to taxi drivers helping with deliveries for the elderly/vulnerable I believe that’s a great idea!😉

#110121 Reply

KerryB
    Participant

I had the same experience with deliveries. Sainsbury’s redirected me to the click and collect service. Apparently they’ve massively increased this to help the vulnerable. I checked where my local store for Click and Collect is in Northern Ireland: there is only one in the entire country and it’s at the opposite end of the country from me, a matter of a two-hour drive over almost 100 miles of mostly country roads.

#110127 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Had an email from Sainsbury’s Monday about shopping hours for vulnerable folk like us and it said something along the lines of identifying folk who are vulnerable and although I’m one they said they haven’t identified everyone yet and wondered how they knew I was one such person.

It dawned on me then up to about 3 years ago I had Sainsbury’s Energy for gas and electric and was registered with them as a vulnerable person so must be still on their records.

#110130 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I got my bus pass this morning, no were to go.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#110133 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Supermarket ?

#110137 Reply

TheSUVGuy

I got one hope that if any good news we’re to come out from the corona it’ll be that because of car sales falling due to the virus maybe we get more on the scheme, probably not this coming quarter maybe the next

#110162 Reply

Clipped wings

Think Q2 will be a blank with nearly all dealers closed. Motability have announced that all leases ending soon will automatically be extended for 6 months, which suits me. No decision to make. Perhaps the iD4 EV will be on by then. Very wishful thinking. Filled up the Touran last week and going to last a long, long time.

#110166 Reply

Saintsman

I’m going to live in my car. In our household we’ve got a primary school teacher, a nursery teacher, a daughter working at Tesco, an essential power supply engineer and the head of Cambs adult social services.

I’m doomed

#110168 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Take care saints man

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#110188 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Six month extension for MOT’s announced.

#110190 Reply

joss
    Participant

FACE-TO-FACE ASSESSMENTS SUSPENDED

The DWP have announced the suspension of all PIP, ESA and UC face-to-face assessments for three months, from Tuesday 17 March.

Anyone who had a face-to-face assessment appointment scheduled from Tuesday 17 March onwards does not need to attend.

You should be contacted by IAS (Atos), Capita or Maximus to discuss next steps and alternative arrangements.

This may mean your claim will be assessed just on whatever paperwork is available.

In some cases the assessment provider might also carry out a telephone assessment.

This may take the form of supplementary questions where there is not enough information in the paperwork.

MOST APPEALS TO BE PAPER ONLY FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS
    Tribunal judges have been given the power to sit alone and to make decisions about PIP, ESA, UC and DLA appeals just on the papers.

Under the new powers, a tribunal judge can make a provisional decision just on the paperwork where they believe a successful outcome for the claimant is highly likely.

Once a provisional decision is made both you and the DWP will be asked if you agree with that decision.

If you both do, it will become a final decision.

If either you or the DWP are not happy, you can still insist that the case goes to a full hearing.

If a full hearing is required, wherever possible it will be done ‘remotely’. This may mean by video link or telephone conferencing.

One concern about this system is that when a provisional decision is made by a judge, some claimants may feel under a great deal of pressure to accept the award, even if it is not as high as they think they should get.

PIP AWARDS EXTENDED, BENEFITS REVIEWS AND REASSESSMENTS SUSPENDED
    In a welcome move, the DWP have announced that there will be no new reviews or reassessments of benefits for three months from Tuesday 24 March.

Benefits affected include:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    Universal Credit (UC)
    Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    Attendance Allowance (AA)
    Where an assessment has already taken place for PIP, the decision making process will continue.

Where you already have an assessment scheduled, the assessment provider should contact you to explain whether a paper or telephone assessment will take place.

If your PIP award is due to end, it will be extended.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Coronavirus Q&A

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: