Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings' lockdown trip 'was essential', says No 10

This topic contains 64 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  JS 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Brydo
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913

No 10 says the PM’s chief aide Dominic Cummings acted in line with coronavirus guidelines when he travelled with Covid-19 symptoms from London to his relatives in Durham during lockdown.

A spokesman said it was “essential” for Mr Cummings to ensure he had childcare while he and his wife were unwell.

The Durham police chief said it was “unwise” for Mr Cummings to travel to County Durham while infected.

Labour has called for a “clear explanation” for Mr Cummings’ actions.

Downing Street said Mr Cummings believed he “behaved reasonably and legally” when he made the 260-mile journey from his London home to Country Durham during the lockdown.

A No 10 spokesman added: “Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

“His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to, but separate, from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside.

“At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.”

Police said they attended a property in County Durham, after the Guardian and the Daily Mirror newspapers first reported Mr Cummings had made the trip.

Who is Dominic Cummings?
    Scientist quits role after ‘undermining’ lockdown
    What are social distancing and self-isolation rules?
    The government has ordered anyone with coronavirus symptoms to self-isolate at home and not leave – even for essential supplies – for seven days.

A Labour spokesman said the government should use the daily Downing Street Covid-19 press conference on Saturday to provide answers over the reports.

A statement added: “The public have made extraordinary sacrifices during this pandemic and the lockdown.

“It cannot be one rule for those who set them and another for the British people.”

Mr Cummings has attended meetings of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – the scientific body which gives independent advice that shapes the government’s coronavirus response.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mitch
    Participant

footloose, isnt boris on paternity leave? i seem to remember it being said that he would take it?

if cummings travelled whilst he and his wife were infected that is a definate breach no excuse.

Smallcar
    Participant

Julie

He seems to be relying on his baby boomer parents (73 & 71) for assistance in providing accommodation.

joss
    Participant

Hi Joss i had already asked that question I the forum but some I feel may have taken offence in support of Boris When no offence was meant but merely a question?

Most days I am confused, however I am at a loss re above. No offence taken in my part footloose, it’s all good my friend.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Hi Wayne not at all buddy,I hope your keeping well and safe and look forward to topics such as Motability starting back up,new vehicle additions etc 🍺👍

Morning @Footloose. All good here at the moment thanks. Our son is working in Tesco whilst in college so every day at the moment is nervous for us. I hope you’re all safe as well. And absolutely re Motability starting back up. It’s the first thing I check after meds. 😂 Take care.

On topic, The Observer and Sunday Mirror are now reporting that Cummings has been seen out on two more occasions. I’d like to say it’s inevitable what will happen now but nowadays, world politics is like watching a really bad, nonsensical sci-fi ‘B’ Movie  🤷🏻‍♂️

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Tharg

Thoroughly sick of whole Cummings story; particularly meeja coverage which is taking it as lead story across the board. There are much more important things happening than just some power-seeking bloke trying to hang on to job after breaking rules.

Don’t see why he doesn’t just resign, offering craven apologies. Then, as with similar cases, he’ll spend a few days out of work before powerful mates find him another, almost identical job.

Mike

He did it 3 times looks like now

joss
    Participant

Got to agree with you Tharg. There is a lot of Cummings and goings going on.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

Saintsman

@briggsy

Boomers are the generation of post WW2 babies born between 1945 and 1964(ish). Not to be confused with Generation X or millennials etc.

Mike

Joss that made me laugh

Smallcar
    Participant

When Cummings goes so will Shapps after his disastrous interviews this morning after being hung out to dry by invisible Boris.

ChrisK
    Participant

Where is THE Prime minister

Well if its anything like the report in the New York Times I’ve read today on how the America super-rich are raking in the government hand-outs I assume Boris is busy counting his stack.

Mike

And his kids !

Pudsey
    Participant

Watching this train wreck of a press conference with Boris in total disbelief. By defending the indefensible he is treating the efforts of the British public over the last ten weeks with contempt. It seems we have our very own Trump looking out for us. God help us all!

Oscarmax
    Participant

I am fuming, the wife has stated he has lost some vote, I sorry he now lost my vote.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Briggsy

Why are people surprised by Johnson’s defence of Cummings,he is the puppet master so Johnson would never sack him,he could be found in the library,with the candle stick with a note in his hand saying I did it guv and Johnson would defend him.

i just hope people will start to see through the “cult” of Boris Johnson.

(and my post finally finds itself in the right place)

Bryan

I’m planning a 600 mile round trip to London tomorrow as I feel that as a Father I feel instinctive to treat my daughter to a nice day out in the sunshine since we have all been in lockdown since mid March.

I may pop along to Barnard Castle during the week as well.

72 Dudes

Well Bryan, watch out for that white Land Rover Discovery Sport driven by a thug, apparently it’s been all over these last few weeks!

gothitjulie
    Participant

Looks like the Civil Service is behind this witch hunt & leaks to papers of fake news.

Perhaps tomorrow the Mirror will lead with a story on how Dom was seen in Scotland, and on the inner pages have another story about him being seen in Wales and Cornwall on the very same day.

jamesg

Or  maybe  you  should read the front page  of the  Daily  Mail.

bfoandc

The PM accepts that Cummings, wife and child whilst one (at least) was suffering from symptoms which could be Covid-19 travelled from London to Durham. Now that is clearly in breach of the guidelines. Whether he then made one, two or forty other journeys is actually irrelevant to the first point. This is taken from the Govt website:

“if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), then you must stay at home for at least 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill. See the explanatory diagram
    for anyone else in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for at least 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period. The ending isolation section below has more information, and see the explanatory diagram”

It should make no difference at all who you are. People haven’t been able to be with dying relatives, health workers have left their homes to ensure they don’t get ‘quarantined’ and to suggest that DC was ‘right’ to undertake that journey is to ask us to insult all the sacrifices that so many people have been making.

Thomas

Gothitjulie you really need to take of those tory blinkers, he broke the rules he had said out for everyone else, it isn’t fake news, it’s at the very least hypocritical and the worst criminally negligent, wonder how all the people who’ve received fines react to it?

Philjb

Any fines given out should be refunded If this smug joker gets away with it.
    I have read all the facts and it’s obvious to me it’s a case of i can do what I want when i want because I say so.
    It beggars belief, when you have over a million and a half people being told youre at extreme risk stay indoors for 12 weeks when outside your door people like them are spreading the virus far and wide for a few days out with the family.

gothitjulie
    Participant

Gothitjulie you really need to take of those tory blinkers, he broke the rules he had said out for everyone else, it isn’t fake news, it’s at the very least hypocritical and the worst criminally negligent, wonder how all the people who’ve received fines react to it?

I can’t understand how you guys can countenance handing over a 4 year old child to a Labour run council with all the inherent abuse that goes along with that, or, leaving a child to die alone with its dead parents. You are so so cruel & toxic, and that’s really your idea of politics?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  gothitjulie.

Briggsy

I’m sorry gotitjulie but your response it’s,with all due respect nonsense,Cummings broke the law,simple as that,but because he’s Johnson’s oppo he’s got away with it,not fake news but an absolute disregard for all of us who like fools have stayed in for the past 9 weeks.

not acceptable at all,stop trying to defend the indefensible

Mike

Well said totally agree

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings' lockdown trip 'was essential', says No 10’ is closed to new replies.