Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings' lockdown trip 'was essential', says No 10

This topic contains 64 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  JS 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Brydo
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913

No 10 says the PM’s chief aide Dominic Cummings acted in line with coronavirus guidelines when he travelled with Covid-19 symptoms from London to his relatives in Durham during lockdown.

A spokesman said it was “essential” for Mr Cummings to ensure he had childcare while he and his wife were unwell.

The Durham police chief said it was “unwise” for Mr Cummings to travel to County Durham while infected.

Labour has called for a “clear explanation” for Mr Cummings’ actions.

Downing Street said Mr Cummings believed he “behaved reasonably and legally” when he made the 260-mile journey from his London home to Country Durham during the lockdown.

A No 10 spokesman added: “Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

“His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to, but separate, from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside.

“At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.”

Police said they attended a property in County Durham, after the Guardian and the Daily Mirror newspapers first reported Mr Cummings had made the trip.

Who is Dominic Cummings?
    Scientist quits role after ‘undermining’ lockdown
    What are social distancing and self-isolation rules?
    The government has ordered anyone with coronavirus symptoms to self-isolate at home and not leave – even for essential supplies – for seven days.

A Labour spokesman said the government should use the daily Downing Street Covid-19 press conference on Saturday to provide answers over the reports.

A statement added: “The public have made extraordinary sacrifices during this pandemic and the lockdown.

“It cannot be one rule for those who set them and another for the British people.”

Mr Cummings has attended meetings of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – the scientific body which gives independent advice that shapes the government’s coronavirus response.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Replies

72 dudes

Appallingly arrogant behaviour when most people on here were adhering to the lockdown and were too nervous to drive even a short distance to keep the battery and engine of their car in good order.

For No.10 to defend him is even worse.

And his wife actually had the virus during the journey!! Of course they wouldn’t have stopped for a comfort break at any time during the 260 mile trip would they?

Footloose

I’m going to attend a sage meeting then drive to Preston and back(360 miles)and pick up a garden bistro set from Argos I liked because the government said its”essential “!!

Brydo
    Participant

“Do as I say not as I do”

Oscarmax
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913 No 10 says the PM’s chief aide Dominic Cummings acted in line with coronavirus guidelines when he travelled with Covid-19 symptoms from London to his relatives in Durham during lockdown. A spokesman said it was “essential” for Mr Cummings to ensure he had childcare while he and his wife were unwell. The Durham police chief said it was “unwise” for Mr Cummings to travel to County Durham while infected. Labour has called for a “clear explanation” for Mr Cummings’ actions. Downing Street said Mr Cummings believed he “behaved reasonably and legally” when he made the 260-mile journey from his London home to Country Durham during the lockdown. A No 10 spokesman added: “Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for. “His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to, but separate, from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside. “At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.” Police said they attended a property in County Durham, after the Guardian and the Daily Mirror newspapers first reported Mr Cummings had made the trip. Who is Dominic Cummings? Scientist quits role after ‘undermining’ lockdown What are social distancing and self-isolation rules? The government has ordered anyone with coronavirus symptoms to self-isolate at home and not leave – even for essential supplies – for seven days. A Labour spokesman said the government should use the daily Downing Street Covid-19 press conference on Saturday to provide answers over the reports. A statement added: “The public have made extraordinary sacrifices during this pandemic and the lockdown. “It cannot be one rule for those who set them and another for the British people.” Mr Cummings has attended meetings of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – the scientific body which gives independent advice that shapes the government’s coronavirus response.

Let me get this right Dominic Cummins and his wife are both infected, therefore they took their child 260 miles in the same car in close contact to his sister to care for his child, am I missing something here, if they are both infected surely the child will have become in contact and possibly infected (unless they cling filmed the child)

So in theory they have taken an infected child to infect his sister family, so I am assuming his sister family have all isolated for 2 weeks because they have come into contact with an infected person ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Brydo

Sounds about right oscarmax, will he do the right thing and “fall on his sword”. I think not.

Oscarmax
    Participant

To be honest Brydo he does not look like a nice person, he always looks shifty.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Brydo

If you look in the Oxford dictionary under “shifty” there’s a photo of him lol.

Brydo
    Participant

Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings defends 260-mile lockdown trip

The PM’s top aide Dominic Cummings says he did the “right thing” by travelling 260 miles to be near relatives during the coranavirus lockdown – adding that he did not care what it looked like.

Mr Cummings is facing calls to quit over the journey, which he made when his wife had Covid-19 symptoms.

Downing Street said he wanted to ensure he had childcare if he got symptoms.

But Labour said that was not a satisfactory explanation and many people would be angry at his actions.

Mr Cummings told reporters he “behaved reasonably and legally” when asked about the trip from London to Durham.

Asked whether it looked good, he said: “Who cares about good looks? It’s a question of doing the right thing. It’s not about what you guys think.”

Police said they attended a property in County Durham, after the Guardian and the Daily Mirror newspapers first reported Mr Cummings had been seen near his parents’ home in early April.

Durham’s police and crime commissioner Steve White said it had been “most unwise” for Mr Cummings to make the journey, “given the whole ethos” of the government’s guidance.

In a statement, Downing Street said: “Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

“His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside.

“At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.

“His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines.”

The Scottish National Party has called for Mr Cummings to quit – and has written to Sir Mark Sedwill, the head of the civil service, calling for a swift investigation into the incident.

Labour has stopped short of calling for Mr Cummings’ resignation, saying the government had questions to answer at its daily press conference at 16:00 BST.

A Labour spokesman said: “The lockdown rules were very clear: if you or anyone in your household was suspected of having Covid-19 you must immediately self-isolate and not leave the house,” said a Labour spokesman.

“However, the prime minister’s chief adviser appears to believe that it is one rule for him and another for the British people.

“This will cause understandable anger for the millions of people who have sacrificed so much during this crisis.”

Mr Cummings masterminded the 2016 Vote Leave campaign to get Britain out of the European Union, and was made Boris Johnson’s top political adviser, when he entered Downing Street last year.

He has attended meetings of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) – the scientific body which gives independent advice that shapes the government’s coronavirus response.

Cabinet ministers have rallied round Mr Cummings on social media, with Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove tweeting: “Caring for your wife and child is not a crime.”

Dave Penman, general secretary of the FDA, the union that represents senior civil servants, said the prime minister was responsible for the actions of his chief aide, and called for Mr Johnson to explain reports that Mr Cummings broke lockdown rules.

It comes after other high-profile figures involved in tackling the pandemic have resigned for breaching lockdown restrictions, including Scotland’s former Chief Medical Officer Catherine Calderwood and leading scientist Prof Neil Ferguson.

Dr Calderwood resigned in April after making two trips to her second home during the coronavirus lockdown.

While Prof Ferguson quit as a government adviser on coronavirus after it was reported that a woman he was said to be in a relationship with visited his home in lockdown.

On 30 March, it was reported that Mr Cummings, the former Vote Leave chief who was the architect of the PM’s Brexit strategy, had developed symptoms of the coronavirus and was self-isolating at home.

His wife, journalist Mary Wakefield, described in the Spectator magazine how he collapsed and was bed-ridden for 10 days.

Durham Police confirmed officers had spoken to the owners of an address after its officers were made aware on 31 March of reports a person had travelled there from London.

A spokesman said that owners of the address confirmed the individual “was present and self-isolating in part of the house”, and officers “explained to the family the guidelines around self-isolation and reiterated the appropriate advice around essential travel”.

Government advice on 31 March was for the public to stay at home and only leave for clearly defined reasons, including to exercise, essential shopping or for medical needs.

At the time – and as remains the case – those with symptoms of coronavirus were told to self-isolate at home and not leave even for essential supplies, if possible, for seven days.

It was and also remains not permitted to leave your house to visit friends and family in their home, while government advice for those aged 70 and over continues to be that they should minimise contact with others outside their household.

Footloose

It’s unbelievable however he has learned a lot I’m sure from politicians such as one rule for us and another for them and I don’t believe that will change any day soon regardless of the current situation as you only have to look at the stupidity of those in a position of trust and also the rich and selfish that are happy to abuse the furlough scheme even though it will be the not so fortunate who will pay for it for many years to come!!

Footloose

No excuses,he broke the rules set by the government and scientific advisers and put people at risk!Will those that received fines for flouting the rules be refunded or appeal stating that they are actually named Dominic Cummings therefore they should not have received a fine given their position in society!!

Briggsy
    Participant

Sounds about right oscarmax, will he do the right thing and “fall on his sword”. I think not.

No chance, people such as him don’t do that sort of thing, they hang on limpet like to what power they have (and this one has a fair bit it seems).

I would expect any half decent pay as you win lawyer will be drafting adverts looking for people who have been fined and appealing quick smart.

Typical of Johnson though instead of acting decisively he will bluster this one along no doubt as a lark instead of giving him the door.

joss
    Participant

Where is THE Prime minister

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

Elliot
    Participant

Probably on the beach somewhere shaking everybody’s hands  with Cummings Joss.

bfoandc

The Conservative Leader in Scotland summed it up on April 5th:

“There cannot be one rule for bosses and another for everyone else.”

The thing is that if they both had the virus and the child didn’t, it would have been acceptable for friend/family to collect the child to be looked after.  The instructions really couldn’t be clearer on this issue. Perhaps it really is the case that only fools obey rules.

Footloose

Hi Joss

i had already asked that question I the forum but some I feel may have taken offence in support of Boris When no offence was meant but merely a question?

Elliot
    Participant

The press are now reporting a 2nd breach by Cummings.

gothitjulie
    Participant

After all this is over I think we’ll find very young children who have died because a parents who was in lockdown looking after them died.

My own family cobbled together a plan to stop this happening with frequent contact & if no answer then a designated person would be sent to investigate, whatever the distance. This would have meant me driving 254 miles to one close relative’s place then potentialy drive back the same day, but I’ve driven over 600 miles without a comfort break before so no worries, I’d just need to stop for fuel at a pay-at-the-pump place.

Why is the inference that Dom would have needed a comfort break? do people nowdays have smaller bladder or something?

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Hi Joss i had already asked that question I the forum but some I feel may have taken offence in support of Boris When no offence was meant but merely a question?

Hi Footloose, please don’t think that I took offence if you include myself in the ‘some’ you mention. I was merely answering your question with my response.
    Take care. 👍🍻

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Footloose

Hi Wayne

not at all buddy,I hope your keeping well and safe and look forward to topics such as Motability starting back up,new vehicle additions etc 🍺👍

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Appallingly arrogant behaviour when most people on here were adhering to the lockdown and were too nervous to drive even a short distance to keep the battery and engine of their car in good order. For No.10 to defend him is even worse. And his wife actually had the virus during the journey!! Of course they wouldn’t have stopped for a comfort break at any time during the 260 mile trip would they?

Absolutely spot on 72 Dudes. This is a ludicrous crime for No.10 to defend. Because when all said and done, that’s what it was. A crime!

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

72 dudes

@ gothitjulie

You can’t be serious with the comfort break comment.

The sick wife and the 4 year old would have needed one even if he didn’t!

Even with a clear run, London to Durham is 4 hours plus

Don’t be defending the indefensible. Besides, witnesses have come forward saying they saw him with wife and child walking near Barnard Castle, co. Durham, so it looks like the whole story to keep the child safe is a complete and utter lie.

Certainly far from isolating at home which was the clear advice.

Tommy

72 dudes

And worse still mate, he’s broken the lock down rules more than once, when you have a tory gov run by private school boys and silver spoon brigade who have never lived in the real world you can understand why they think it’s one rule for them and another for the rest of us

gothitjulie
    Participant

@ gothitjulie You can’t be serious with the comfort break comment. The sick wife and the 4 year old would have needed one even if he didn’t! Even with a clear run, London to Durham is 4 hours plus Don’t be defending the indefensible. Besides, witnesses have come forward saying they saw him with wife and child walking near Barnard Castle, co. Durham, so it looks like the whole story to keep the child safe is a complete and utter lie. Certainly far from isolating at home which was the clear advice.

So you’re saying it’s OK to abandon children to protect Boomers, the usual selfish attitude.

Smallcar
    Participant

I find this turn of events quite frightening politically. The talk from Downing Street of ‘Fake News’, flippant treatment of the press by the government’s Senior Advisor, a PM in hiding and no detailed answers from Government on the worrying questions raised. All too Trumpian for my liking, where on earth are we going?

Let’s have a detailed breakdown of events, including confirmation of the advisor’s whereabouts on every day in question, including the inevitable ‘comfort breaks’ and then a resignation if even the spirit of the law was broken.

Briggsy

Ok,if someone could clarify the term “boomers”Please,not down with the kidz with that term

thanks in advance

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings' lockdown trip 'was essential', says No 10’ is closed to new replies.