Column style shifter

• Creator
    Topic
    rajranni
    Participant

I was looking at the updated Hyundai Tucson and I noticed that it had a column style shifter on the right of the steering wheel. Traditional you would operate the gear selector with your left hand and your right hand would operate the push-pull lever. Does anyone have any experience of using or installing push-pull hand controls with a column style shifter? Is it even possible. It seems to me that a lot of manufacturers are heading this way.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

The columb selector is shift by wire, so I guess it would need to be n electronic/remote adaption?

I guess something like these can be adapted.

https://www.jeffgosling.co.uk/products/gearshift-easy-release.php

kezo
        Participant
          ChrisK
          Participant

This is a trend I’m seeing in the VAG brands too and for myself being a right-hand only driver is its not the shifter in itself as that’s a select and go control but where it causes me problems is in the fact the wipers controls are moved over to the left-hand side of the steering wheel.

Don’t know if that’s the case with Hyundai / KIA’s but for me it means more buttons on my remote control plus of course more expensive remote control to controls that that previously fell to my usable right-hand finger tips.

Although I’m a few years away from ordering a new car and the Tucson was a car I have interest in to replace my current VW having read this today looks like in the years to come I will be doing a lot more research into gear selectors.

Wazza
            Participant

I believe you are referring to the automatic version? If yes then they have done the same for the automatic Hyundai Kona. It’s is as simple if twisting it one way to put it into drive and the other way for reverse. You press a button to park. If you use the manual mode then you use the paddle shifter behind the steering wheel.

If it’s the manual version you are going for then it’s located in the central console.

kezo
              Participant

This is a trend I’m seeing in the VAG brands too and for myself being a right-hand only driver is its not the shifter in itself as that’s a select and go control but where it causes me problems is in the fact the wipers controls are moved over to the left-hand side of the steering wheel. Don’t know if that’s the case with Hyundai / KIA’s but for me it means more buttons on my remote control plus of course more expensive remote control to controls that that previously fell to my usable right-hand finger tips. Although I’m a few years away from ordering a new car and the Tucson was a car I have interest in to replace my current VW having read this today looks like in the years to come I will be doing a lot more research into gear selectors.

Thankfully the Koreans didn’t have the same european (VAG) brainwave and move the conventional stalks into one!

MLH
                Participant

I have had hand controls in my last 3 vehicles, and the ID.4 is the first one with the gear/shifter on the right hand side of the wheel.

It hasn’t been too much trouble getting used to it, in all honesty.  I hold the brake in place with my right hand and select D/R with my left hand before I start moving.

Participant

This is a trend I’m seeing in the VAG brands too and for myself being a right-hand only driver is its not the shifter in itself as that’s a select and go control but where it causes me problems is in the fact the wipers controls are moved over to the left-hand side of the steering wheel. Don’t know if that’s the case with Hyundai / KIA’s but for me it means more buttons on my remote control plus of course more expensive remote control to controls that that previously fell to my usable right-hand finger tips. Although I’m a few years away from ordering a new car and the Tucson was a car I have interest in to replace my current VW having read this today looks like in the years to come I will be doing a lot more research into gear selectors.

I’m also a R/H only driver but tbh this wouldn’t really bother me because nearly all cars can now be left on auto for the wipers anyway. With regard to more expensive remotes, when I renewed in March last year I went for the Lodgsons mini wireless controller ( designed to be mounted anywhere for those with hand controls) instead of the usual Lodgsons remote & spinner combo. My installer just fabricated a holder onto the spinner to replicate the bigger one. Was a big price difference! I did post details at the time if you want more info.

Participant

I don’t know what the Hyundai set up is like but on the Mercedes I had it was just like an indicator stalk, super easy to use. Down for drive, up for reverse and push in for park. It’s all electronic so you don’t need any extra dexterity to use it.

Now I’m back in a “traditional” set up I still find myself putting the wipers on to select drive, especially as my work van is an automatic Merc’ with the same selector.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Skoda Karoq SEL.

Ele
                      Participant

They have this on the Renault megan Etec

Prefer it once you remember to not grab the wipers by mistake

3 levers all in a line on r/hand side of zteering wheel but you do adapt quick enough

Just to add

Auto handbrake when stopped and opening door/turning off/bum leaves seat/auto release on pulling away

• This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by Ele.
                      Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.