Charger for EV – terraced house no drive

• Creator
    Topic
  • #185193 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

I am considering going for a Hyundai Kona electric. I live in a mid terrace house with no drive. Car is parked on the road. Those who live in a similar property did you bother to get a charger fitted? If yes what did you do with regards to the cable going across the pavement? Did you get a cable ramp/protector? I feel my only option is to charge via supermarket etc chargers or maybe go for the hybrid version. I mainly do local driving.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #185201 Reply
    Chris

Hi,

I’ve been in protracted conversations with Motability and my County Council regarding a similar question and, to cut a long story short, some councils are allowing a charging cable to be run over a pavement for charging purposes (check with your own Council), as long as a cable protector is used.

Motability will, in theory, install a charger on this basis, as long as your property is suitable: Motability use a number of charger installers, some of which will not proceed with an installation regardless of being given the go ahead by the Council, however we found that Ohme would.

I should say that we have been given the go ahead but can’t currently find a suitable EV on the scheme, so haven’t put the theory into practice; speak to Motability!

#185225 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

Just to add a small point of view, most councils (in Scotland anyway) will let you run a cable across a pavement if you have a cable protector that is wheelchair/pram friendly and a sign warning of the trip hazard.

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

#185226 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

Also, I’m getting my Kona premium in June and I’m intending to charge via public charges which somehow are mostly free.

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

#185233 Reply
    Belfast4

Just use the street light same as I do.

#185245 Reply
    Jeff Schofield

If you only drive locally hence not many miles then using public chargers is very feasible. A lot of supermarkets have free 7kw chargers or just top up to about 80% via a rapid one, more expensive but still cheaper than fossil fuels.

#185262 Reply
    Chris

If you can get the home charger installed then it would (generally), be the cheaper and more practical option. I accept that some supermarkets offer free charging but it’s only useful if it’s readily available and fits with your lifestyle, but definitely worth consideration.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Charger for EV – terraced house no drive
Your information: