Cars with heated front screens

• Creator
    Topic
  • #100018 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

As we are in winter with frozen windscreens but lovely to know cars available with heated front screen as standard I know ford have them

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #100019 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

It depends on the specification of  each model. The higher specs may have them or it may be an option. I don’t think any manufacturer has them as standard across the whole range.
    I’d certainly appreciate one in my X1 right now! 🤣

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#100021 Reply
    BrightonSteve

I love mine, It takes roughly one minute from pushing the button to a nice clear screen. But you still have to be cautious, because the screen may be clear, but your wipers can still be slightly frozen. So as you try to wipe the water away, you can end up ruining your wiper blades.

#100024 Reply
    Macca

Doesn’t the XC40 have one if you go for the ‘Pro’ spec?

#100025 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes Volvo are in with Ford

#100026 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

What car is that young Steve ?

#100029 Reply
    Jayde28

My car before my current has this. A tekna qashqai. It’s one thing I am desperately missing on my Tiguan!

#100030 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Young Mitch tells me top Nissan Juke has it

#100037 Reply
    eame64
    Participant

We have a heated front screen  on the Mini countryman Phev which was a £120 option and worth every penny.

Being a phev you can also pre heat the cabin if you wish and have it all toastie for when you leave in the morning.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

#100044 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

That great I didn’t know the Mini had them

#100136 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I love mine, It takes roughly one minute from pushing the button to a nice clear screen. But you still have to be cautious, because the screen may be clear, but your wipers can still be slightly frozen. So as you try to wipe the water away, you can end up ruining your wiper blades.

My KIA is the opposite as it has a heater for the windscreen wipers blades but not the screen itself.

Can’t imagine what the designers were thinking of when they designed that but luckily the cars heater produces heat to the screen very quickly for a diesel.

Mind you I was a bit worried last month when I turned on the wiper heater after a long Summer recess and smoked appeared from the dash as I thought something was on fire but no worries as it turned out to be just burning off the Summer dust that had collected on the heater.

#100204 Reply
    Rhodgie
    Participant

Regarding BrightonSteve comment about the wipers still sticking to the screen… very true and something to watch for but most cars now have a “winter position” also used for changing the wiper blades as they sit below the bonnet level.

When you turn the car off there’s a way (different for each car so check your own) to make the wipers raise to point at the top of the screen and they’ll stop there. From there you can either lift them off the glass or leave them there until the screen has been defrosted…. they wont go back down until you make them (usually by flicking it to a wipe setting)

I do this with mines cause I learned the hard way about them sticking to the screen

#100207 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

The wipers on my car move a half inch every time you start it and again when you turn it off, a feature to alternate pressure on the blades and so extend their working life. (Seat Alhambra)

#100454 Reply
    crippleddad
    Participant

My XC40 has it, for what it’s worth.

#100561 Reply
    Dragonfly

My Qashqai has it

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Cars with heated front screens
Your information: