Car numbers on the Motability Scheme today

Viewing 25 replies - 1,301 through 1,325 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #141732 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks Silverfoxx. Yes, that is useful to know. TBH I had never really considered the GLA as I have never thought of it as a proper SUV, but I had completely missed the fact that an all new model was released last year which is 4 inches taller and with a longer wheelbase and bigger boot than the old model. Ironically, it was only yesterday that I watched some video reviews and studied the spec in detail and came to the conclusion that it was definitely worth taking a serious look at. I would only be interested in the Premium Plus model, so unless that returns it’s off my list within 24 hours of having been put on it! The B Class is available in Premium Plus with the higher output B200 engine and is virtually identical inside (other than it loses lane assist and electric front passenger seat compared to the GLA, for some reason) but although it’s quite good looking (as MPV’s go) I am always reminded of the comment on Top Gear years ago that MPV’s are cars for people who don’t like cars 😂

#141749 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Sunday 7th March  –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1630.   No change

#141792 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Monday 8th March  –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1630.   No change

#141886 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Tuesday 9th March  –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1630.   No change

#141913 Reply
    Rachel.K

I’ve just had an interesting conversation with Motability about electric vehicles on the scheme. Apparently, Mercedes and Motability are negotiating a real to put the EQA suv on the scheme from next quarter! I’ll be ordering one of they do!!!

I

#141914 Reply
    Rachel.K

Should say deal, not real 😆

#141916 Reply
    Rachel.K

I blame it on my brain injury. My brain says one thing and my hand types another!😁

#141917 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I’ve just had an interesting conversation with Motability about electric vehicles on the scheme. Apparently, Mercedes and Motability are negotiating a real to put the EQA suv on the scheme from next quarter! I’ll be ordering one of they do!!! I

Great news, hopefully, the e-Niro and Enyaq will be on soon too, we need some choice of better range SUV’s asap

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#141936 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’ve just had an interesting conversation with Motability about electric vehicles on the scheme. Apparently, Mercedes and Motability are negotiating a real to put the EQA suv on the scheme from next quarter! I’ll be ordering one of they do!!! I

A very nice addition to the scheme if it materialises. Brace yourself for the AP though. I happened to look at the Motability price list on the Mercedes website and they show the B class PHEV, which doesn’t appear on the Motability website search. AP’s are over £7k, which is a £5k premium over the B200 petrol. It would be madness to get the PHEV over the petrol at those prices.

#141946 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Will be most surprised if it does make the scheme. If I am reading the motoring press correctly it puts out in excess of 250bhp, does 0-60 in 6.6secs and costs from £35K upwards. If it does make it on, then can we expect the VW GTE to break the immorality barrier as well?

#141947 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Will be most surprised if it does make the scheme. If I am reading the motoring press correctly it puts out in excess of 250bhp, does 0-60 in 6.6secs and costs from £35K upwards. If it does make it on, then can we expect the VW GTE to break the immorality barrier as well?

I think you are looking at the EQC. The EQA is 190bhp and 0-62 is around 8.9 secs, so nothing special to raise eyebrows at Motability. It starts at just over £40k, but so are a number of other EV / PHEV vehicles now on the scheme, such as the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge, which is on the scheme with versions up to around £45k and is around 250bhp (although, in reality, PHEV power outputs in real world driving are a lot less than stated, just as their stated mpg is)!

#141948 Reply
    Ian

We can only dream that these these kind of cars are coming onto the scheme. Then I woke up. And found the cap still in place. The way I see it going is. Back to the old ways. Yes you can have that car but the AP is £5.000. We not far off that already with some cars on the scheme.

#141949 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

As opposed to 300bhp, 6.1 to 60 and £47,000 for the Peugeot 3008 hybrid 4 which has appeared on the scheme already?

#141952 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

OK, Glos Guy, I stand corrected. Misunderstood Autocar’s news and test items. Nevertheless, Richardw’s point about the Peugeot is well relevant. As, I would like to hope, is mine about seeing the permissible PHEVery on the scheme in something like an ordinary saloon/hatch. And, yes, I know the Corolla is there, but the tech has gone on quite a bit.

#141961 Reply
    John

Why aren’t Jaguar electrics allowed to come on? I know there is a big uproar on certain tabloids but surely Audi and BMW are just as high end?

#141965 Reply
    Rachel.K

Glos guy – I fear you may be proven right about the advance payment on the Mercedes EQA, even if it does make an appearance on the Q2 releases. I can only hope (and pray) that it isn’t ha ha!

#141966 Reply
    Rachel.K

I know that it’s a luxury car but to meet the needs of my disability, I would prefer a car that has the following:

Power tailgate (essential)

Push button ignition (essential)

Automatic gearbox (essential)

Power adjustable drivers seat with memory (essential)

Heated seats (preferable)

I know some non-disabled people seem to think us disabled people are in some way lucky to be offered a vehicle on the scheme but I know for sure, I would much rather be living my pre-stroke life as  29 year old registered nurse, nipping about in my trusty, 10 old manual Ford fiesta and earning a reasonable income.

Sorry guys/gals – rant over 😆

#141968 Reply
    Rachel.K

Sorry about that – I do seem to go off topic quite often ha ha!

#141986 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Wednesday 10th March  –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1630.   No change

#142068 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Thursday 11th March  –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1630.   No change

#142086 Reply
    sif

Rachel.K given the huge purchasing power of motability I fail to see why it cannot flex its muscles a little and only include cars with the aforementioned items included. If supply is failing to give you what you want then demand is the way to tackle it. A huge collective bloc like Motability should use its power.

a. By asking the beneficiaries what they want and

b. Doing what they ask

No one ever turned a car down because it had electric seats or a power tailgate, heated seats and keyless ignition and apart from the odd Luddite, auto boxes are the best.

Most charities end up failing because they don’t serve their membership. They think they know what the beneficiaries want. They do not.

#142090 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Sif – whilst many of us do want those features, a lot don’t as they don’t come for free! To do what you are suggesting (only including cars that include these features as standard) would have major adverse impacts. Firstly, it would reduce choice to a vast degree, as only a small proportion of cars have all these features as standard. Secondly, those who don’t require all those features will be forced to pay the higher AP’s that these vehicles command, which is unfair and thirdly the resultant enormous reduction in choice would cause many disabled customers to leave the scheme. What Motability should do is massively increase the choice of vehicles on the scheme back to the levels we had ten years or so ago. The fact that it has dropped from over 4,000 cars to 1,630 and all the silly caps that have come with it has caused an awful lot of cars with these features to drop off the scheme, making the choice of suitable vehicles more challenging than it needs to be.

#142114 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I have said it for ages, that there should be at least one person from the disabled motoring sector who should sit on the board of Motability.

#142130 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

People, I agree with all you say. Sadly, none of it will happen. Motability is too frightened of the Daily Flail and the mean-minded jealous prejudice it engenders.

#142138 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have said it for ages, that there should be at least one person from the disabled motoring sector who should sit on the board of Motability.

If I recall correctly, when several Directors of Motability appeared at the Commons Select Committee a few years ago, one of them was disabled. However, they were lead by Lord Sterling, who was very good when Chairman of P&O but had become very old and ineffective and the level of challenge that they gave Motability Operations was clearly zero.

Sadly, in spite of personnel changes since then, nothing has improved. In fact, it’s got worse. Less and less choice of vehicles makes life much easier for Motability Operations, as it reduces their costs (less admin etc) and therefore increases their profits. People focussed on Dave Betts at the time, the former CEO, but that was a bit of a smokescreen as he was just one (albeit overpaid) person. The bigger issue is the fact that ALL staff at Motability Operations have a pay and benefits package that you simply wouldn’t find elsewhere these days, such as defined benefit (final salary) pensions, private health insurance, bonus schemes etc etc on top of already generous salaries. And the cost of all of that for all their staff is wrapped up in the AP’s that we all pay, so paid for by the benefits and savings of disabled people.

There was talk back then of possibly opening up the Motability market so that it’s no longer a monopoly. You can be sure that no other company entering that market would have all those overheads, which would mean the potential for better value for disabled customers. Can’t see it happening though as Motability (the charity) is just way too passive.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,301 through 1,325 (of 1,453 total)
Reply To: Car numbers on the Motability Scheme today
Your information: