Car numbers on the Motability Scheme today

Viewing 25 replies - 1,226 through 1,250 (of 1,295 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140084 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Problem with winter tyres for many people Brydo, is the £1000 cost for a set with wheels and where you keep them.

And why such a ridiculous premium for an automatic?

. I agree the auto version is a crazy price yes it looks good but I wouldn’t pay that

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#140087 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Good to see the new Tucson added but the AP’s are very high for what is, when all is said and done, a car from a budget manufacturer. As others have said, the additional premium for an auto is unfortunate given that many disabled drivers will have no choice in that regard. For me to consider this car I would want an Ultimate Auto, which doesn’t seem to be available. People often criticise the premium brands for the number of optional extras that they have available, but the thing that bugs me with brands like Hyundai, Toyota and Honda is that the only way of getting certain kit that you want is to move up through the model range which, with Motability, isn’t always an option.

#140088 Reply
    Brydo

If you have nowhere to put them, don’t buy them lol. If you do you can choose any car you like on the scheme. Most awd cars have a higher AP than two wheel drive so that would offset some of the tyre cost. As the tyres are only used a few months a year they will last much longer and if they are not the correct size for your next car sell them online to recoup some of the cost.

#140094 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Martinod winter tyres work better than awd have you thought about buying a set of them?

As a Landrover owner I can say that tyres are indeed very important up to a point but never better than 4wd. And yes I’ve seen the videos of 2wd with winter tyres v 4wd with summer tyres but 4wd with winter tyres will always be the way to go.

Despite that, why no 4wd Tuscon? Makes  no sense to me.

#140110 Reply
    Brydo

Richard 4wd and winter tyres, you must be a farmer or live somewhere very high up or remote. I live in the west of Scotland, never had 4wd, never had winter tyres and never been stuck in snow, in fact the only time I’ve had any problems was with a rear wheel drive BMW, never again.

#140125 Reply
    sif

Brydo, West coast wimp, basking in the gulf stream and sitting out under the palm trees in balmy November. Richard’s a real Scotsman, lives up Ben Nevis and wears a kilt. I bet you Brydo has never even shot a haggis never mind skinned and eaten one.

#140127 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

sif i actually breed haggis and love to eat them with “neeps” and “tatties”. I have this most weeks, lovely.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#140128 Reply
    sif

My apologies, I hope to move to the borders next year and become an honorary Scotsman, I am still learning. I may contact you then for some breeding stock. Thanks

#140148 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Dealers have nothing to do with the price of cars on Motability, nosherN. Retail prices are rising but PIP allowances are not – that’s the problem.

I agree that RRP prices are outstripping PIP allowances. However, the dealers still have to be paid to prepare and handover the cars so their costs have to be accounted for during price assessments with Motability.

With some dealers offering discounts on AP’s those discounts have to come from somewhere!

#140149 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

With some dealers offering discounts on AP’s those discounts have to come from somewhere!

I think you’ll find these discounts come from the dealers making their targets, hence usually having cutoffs.  Making target might mean a £5k bonus, so offering £299 as an incentive is good business

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury

#140153 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Last March I was being offered 18% on a new X5 and 20.3% on a BMW M340d Touring. Since Covid that has reduced to 10/11% respectively!

Very interesting to hear your experience. Around a year ago I was seriously considering buying a new BMW X5 but, thankfully, the dealer was having problems getting the exact model for me to try for a day and I started to lose enthusiasm for it. Thank God that I did as I would have ended up with a very expensive (and depreciating) new car sat in my garage for the best part of a year! I didn’t get as far as negotiating a price, but the last new BMW I bought (a 5 Series) I managed to get 20% discount (factory order) so had assumed that it would have been similar.

I think you will be in for a rude awakening if you believe you will be able to negotiate 20% off a BMW X5 or 3 Series Touring at this present time. These vehicles are the most popular cars BMW build along with the X3 and X1 and X2. The X1 being the most popular believe it or not.

If you manage to obtain 10% off any of the aforementioned BMW’s as a private purchase you have done well…..11% you have done very well. Anything above 11% you are lucky as the dealer is either missing his targets or you are buying a ‘bread and butter’ car in either a 5 series or one of the slow selling high end 8 series or X3M Competition SAV’s.

#140176 Reply
    Gordon

I live in the North East of Scotland and there has been snow on the ground for 54 days! Winter tyres are essential where I live and everyone here puts them on their cars.

#140195 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I’ve just put a set of All Season tyres on mine after not being able to use it for 17 days since new year, it snowed heavily while I was in the tyre shop and it drove home like there was no snow at all, passed a couple of suv’s stuck on a hill on my way back.

#140196 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’ve just put a set of All Season tyres on mine after not being able to use it for 17 days since new year, it snowed heavily while I was in the tyre shop and it drove home like there was no snow at all, passed a couple of suv’s stuck on a hill on my way back.

SUV’s have no advantage over any other vehicle if they are 2WD, as a lot tend to be nowadays.

#140220 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

I think you’ll find these discounts come from the dealers making their targets, hence usually having cutoffs. Making target might mean a £5k bonus, so offering £299 as an incentive is good business

Motability sales are not target driven!

#140222 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I think you’ll find these discounts come from the dealers making their targets, hence usually having cutoffs. Making target might mean a £5k bonus, so offering £299 as an incentive is good business

Motability sales are not target driven!

No, but they do legitimately count towards dealers targets, the dealers are in business to make money, and I’m sure most if not all make more from the Motability scheme increasing their sales and aiding their targets than they do from the set fee they receive from Motability

Previous Motability Cars

#140227 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Intranicity is absolutely correct. Motability sales do count towards dealer volume targets and contribute towards franchise and manufacturer bonuses. Any dealer who tells you that all they benefit from a Motability transaction is the set handling fee is telling you porkies. That’s why the sensible ones offer reductions on AP’s to poach customers from other garages. They still make money out of them and sometimes quite a bit if the timing is right.

#140243 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Wednesday 17th February –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1663.  No Change

#140388 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Intranicity is absolutely correct. Motability sales do count towards dealer volume targets and contribute towards franchise and manufacturer bonuses. Any dealer who tells you that all they benefit from a Motability transaction is the set handling fee is telling you porkies. That’s why the sensible ones offer reductions on AP’s to poach customers from other garages. They still make money out of them and sometimes quite a bit if the timing is right.

This subject appears to be a bit of a grey area that has been discussed on many occasions on this very forum, with conflicting and some interesting views – https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/how-much-does-a-dealer-make-on-a-motability-car/

Im guessing this discussion will long continue until an officail statement is released, the likelyhood of such release is as likely as finding a hen with teeth!

#140394 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

looks like they’ve added another 2 vehicles today? Now showing 1665

Previous Motability Cars

#140402 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

This subject appears to be a bit of a grey area that has been discussed on many occasions on this very forum, with conflicting and some interesting views – https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/how-much-does-a-dealer-make-on-a-motability-car/ Im guessing this discussion will long continue until an officail statement is released, the likelyhood of such release is as likely as finding a hen with teeth!

The vast majority of posters on that thread (including a dealer) said the same as me, and I have been told it personally by several other dealers, who would never make out that they get more money than they do! There are indeed set fees that Motability pay dealers for taking orders, processing returned vehicles etc but Motability sales do count towards their targets and bonuses achieved through franchise and manufacturer targets are in addition to these set fees, as they are nothing to do with Motability. Clearly dealerships would never offer money off AP’s if all they received was the few hundred pounds fee from Motability, as they would be losing money. I guess there is a possibility that one or two manufacturers may have different rules and, if so, the clue would be those that have never offered anything off AP’s.

#140451 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Thursday 18th February –  Vehicles on the Scheme – 1669.  Change +6

Citroen +2

2 Berlingo 1.2 petrol 128bhp Automatic 5 or 7 seat in Flair with XTR pack at £1995 AP, this is up to £1300 cheaper than same car without the XTR pack

Toyota +4

Toyota Aygo 3 petrol removed

Toyota CHR 5 Hybrid GR Sport Trim added

Toyota Proace Versa 2 Diesel added, 180 bhp at £9345 and 140bhp premium trim at £10935 Advance Payment.

#140455 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I really feel for people who need those van type vehicles such as the Proace. AP’s of around £10k plus the £10k sacrificed benefits over 3 years (or £16k over 5 years) means an outlay of £20k (or £26k). It surely can’t be any cheaper than funding one privately, especially if you are happy with a nearly new one, and possibly a lot more expensive than doing so. I suppose the fact that Motability will pay for adaptations will swing it for many who need those vehicles but, blimey, that’s a lot of cash!

#140467 Reply
    Mmoreton5

May aswell go for the Vivaro Life, over half the AP of the Toyota.

#140468 Reply
    Mmoreton5

Under half the AP sorry.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,226 through 1,250 (of 1,295 total)
Reply To: Car numbers on the Motability Scheme today
Your information: