Car for father in law who does not drive – questions

• This topic has 23 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Ant B.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #155777 Reply
    Ant B

Hi,

Hoping you can advise me.  My father in law is eligible for a car, however he does not wish to drive again (license suspended after getting seizures which were as a result of a brain tumour) , and so mother in law who also does not drive is his carer.  They live 25 miles away from us, we live 750m from his mother (so my gran in law).  He needs to go to see the doctors from time to time for check ups (in our town not local to them) and we already visit regularly and essentially provide lifts to and from their family using our own car.  As neither drive they have asked to find out about us being the named drivers for them but obviously the car would be at our address as all the family is here rather than their rural location 25 miles away.  How funny are motability about a scenario like this?  The motability site makes no mention of 5 miles radius, but reference is made to it on the web and my local Toyota dealers website motability section.  Hoping you guys can advise, thanks.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155779 Reply
    Gary

They’ll allow, but may insist on a tracker. It’s just a case of explaining the situation.

#155781 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

They “May” allow, but you need yo be aware that in theory, you can only use the car for the direct benefit of him (the holder of the eligibility) and you wouldn’t be able to use it for your own benefit!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155788 Reply
    Ant B

Yes, I have no problem with a tracker but how insistent are they on the journey types etc?  Realistically we tend to visit once a week or more if he needs an appointment or during holidays when we want to take him out.  He has suffered a lot of anxiety and we are looking to do this to help in reducing that and getting him out of the house. We have our own car (diesel Qashqai) so there will be times where my wife would find using it for her work commute (2 miles each way to the school she teaches at) as it would be a hybrid we went for to reduce costs.  I have seen you can do this, but just wondering who has actual experience of this and knows how much scrutiny Motability exercise?  There is no question that we would not be committing to this 3 year lease if it were not for the benefit of my parents in law (wife’s parents) but for them to insist it sits on the drive unless for very specific journeys seems a touch draconian.  Thanks for your help so far folks.

#155789 Reply
    Ant B

Sorry, also wanted to add, I work from home so don’t actually use a car very much.  We also wanted to keep ours in case my father in law passes away during the length of the lease (he has a thankfully stable brain tumour, most was removed during surgery which forced his retirement from work, but he was given a terminal diagnosis).

#155790 Reply
    Mike

They will allow it as others have said as long as the car is getting used for your fathers benefit the majority of the time.

#155792 Reply
    Gary

Your wife probably wouldn’t be allowed to  use for her commute tbh. It would be different if you were disabled and it was your car as they would accept your wife working as being a direct benefit for you (household money for food, bills etc)

#155793 Reply
    joss

Hello Ant B  Why don’t you just call motability and ask them. They are the one’s who will give you a definitive answer to you’re question. I know you’re asking here before going to Motability.

As you say web site says 5 miles. So it would be good if you would report back on what they say.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155794 Reply
    Gary

I’d also add that it may seem draconian,  however in days gone by parents would get a motability car for themselves and just give to their kids for the 250 a month, it’s not what the scheme is for, essentially you aren’t going to get a 20k miles just add fuel for what we pay elsewhere (often) and using the car for non intended purposes is part of what led the Daily Fail campaign against us and our ‘free cars’

As I mentioned above though, the strictness really only comes into play in situations where the car is kept at the nominated drivers home

#155799 Reply
    Ant B

I will ask Joss, just wondering if that had been done already.  And I totally understand Gary, the daily hate loves a good hate campaign.  The majority of miles would be for the direct benefit of father in law, visiting, taking our kids to see him, taking him to and from hospital and his mother’s as well as taking him out to different parts of the countryside.  This is why I do not see (personally) an issue with doing 20 miles a week commuting when 1 trip to see him is 50 miles minimum.  Will report back.

#155800 Reply
    Appleman

One of the reasons trackers came into play to keep a check.

#155801 Reply
    Ant B

That was another question I had Appleman re the tracker, are they more bothered about individual journeys or mileage?  Or a combination of both?

#155803 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

That was another question I had Appleman re the tracker, are they more bothered about individual journeys or mileage? Or a combination of both?

I would guess they don’t care about mileage, but would be looking at where the cars been, if you do 20 journeys and 18 are going via your father in laws, I doubt they would care, if though those 20 journeys only went via his house twice, they might care.

Out of interest, I am the holder of a qualifying benefit, and the main driver, but my girlfriend of 18 years lives 25 miles from me, when this new ruling came out, I couldn’t even get her down as a named driver, this may now have been relaxed (I haven’t bothered trying since so can’t confirm)

As Joss said though, we can only give you indications of our interpretation of the rules.  What you are asking for would seem too many to be perfectly fair, to others a breech of the rules, only Motability can make that call.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155810 Reply
    Ant B

Having just called them, the decision to install a tracker is literally on a case by case basis, not specific to our distance from him, simply because of the distribution of our family unit.  Additionally as he is full of anxiety they would be happy for the case chat to be with his wife and or myself to explain our plans.  If a tracker were to be fitted, mileage is irrelevant (as long as under 60k over the 3 years) but the frequency of journeys that include my father in law that is important.  Strangely my father in law would consider me running errands for his mother (our nan) to be a benefit to him as it would reduce his stress and anxiety as he is unable to do so himself, despite her being 87 and fiercely independent!

So we will apply and see how the eligibility interview goes, doubt my father in law would be keen on a tracker as he is ex forces!!

#155837 Reply
    joss

@Ant B Thanks for reporting back to us on you’re call to motability.

I wish you good luck with your father in laws application Ant B. Again please keep us updated, as such information helps us to answer these questions in the future.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155847 Reply
    ajn

Arrrrrrggghh phone calls, I’ll go toe to toe blow for blow with any man ever I’ve needed too, however phone calls…

No Thanks no patience, I hate it..

Email I can handle email though…

#155853 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Does anyone know what information Motability trackers provide?

Many cars now can record the start and finish point of every journey simply by logging the engine on and engine off time and location, and displaying the info in an app.

I’m guessing that would be enough information for Motability’s purposes. They can have no interest in what route your journey took.

#155856 Reply
    joss

@Wigwam This from motability.

Where a location tracker has been identified as appropriate we will always speak to the customer in advance of the tracker being fitted. Data will only be collected on the location of a car at any given point and we will only make use of this data where we receive a report, or suspect, that a car may be being misused.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155859 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Thanks Joss.

#155869 Reply
    Ant B

They seemed too imply on the call that everything is recorded, duration, mileage, start, finish and route.  The primary purpose to endure that the number of journeys visiting the beneficiaries address is greater than other journeys.  Whether that is strictly true or not is open to question of course.  I mean, what is to stop the beneficiary stating it is at their address but never driving it themselves but by saying that they will that no tracker is then fitted.

#155871 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Ant B, the beneficiary would have to be present at the dealers to order the car and would need to collect it. In your case your father in law couldn’t do that and doesn’t have a driving licence.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Wigwam.
    #155874 Reply
    Ant B

Hi Wigwam, we (myself and mother in law) would drive him to the dealer and drive him home.  He can re-apply for his licence, he just does not feel it is sensible to drive and we agree and support that.  It does seem to be very restrictive with a tracker and would probably be returned after 3 years with about 8,000 miles on it.  For the money, which goes into their household budget, it is beginning to look poor value.  For those who are able to drive, or who live at the same address it is a no brainer and a great tool for freedom.

#155877 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Have you considered he might be better spending his allowance on taxis? I realise he lives 25 miles away but that also means in an emergency so are you and so would be his Motability car.

#155882 Reply
    Ant B

He doesn’t spend any of his allowance on taxis, we already do the fetching and carrying for him but we do it with our car.  His anxiety would not let him use public transport, so we do it.  We are happy to of course, we are his family!  🙂

He was trying to make everyone’s life easier!

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Car for father in law who does not drive – questions
Your information: