Can we get All Season Tyres fitted?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #103870 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

After going through 3 sets of generic “eco” tyres (1st set Conti-seal that came with the car, next 2 Michelin Primacy) all lasting roughly 10,000 miles and having to drive round in bad weather on nearly bald tyres (can’t get them changed until they wear down to 2mm) I had a set of 4 “ALL Season with snowflake symbol tyres fitted at my own expense, they were fitted in October 18 and were fantastic in the cold and bad weather, I swapped front to rear in September 19 and they have seen me through this winter so far (rears that were on the front are down to 3mm and fronts that were on the rear are between 4-5mm) and have done 14,000 miles so have out performed the others by at least 50% while giving me grip in all weather conditions (I even towed a couple of people out of the snow last year when they were stuck).

I am due to pick up my new car next week and no doubt it will be fitted with “eco tyres” and be useless in bad weather, what I wanted to know was if it was possible to get All Season tyres fitted through Kwik Fit and just pay the difference between the 2 types?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #103878 Reply

Footloose

Hi Vinalspin,

I believe this is a great idea considering for the past ten years I’ve purchased winter tyres as I’ve been caught out many times before when heading to/from work or trying to get around and as a double leg amputee though mobile with prosthetics both I and I’m sure many others fear having to get around or exit our vehicle in snow and therefore your suggestion of paying the difference for all season tyres seems justified in keeping disabled drivers/passengers safe.

#103880 Reply

joss
    Participant

I would ask Motability customer service on this one vinalspin. It will be of interest  to us all.

With the state of our roads, tyres are just not lasting.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#103908 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The stupid thing is that the tyres kwik fit were putting on were £135 each, the Yokohama All Season tyres I had fitted were £104 each, I’m sure that the options available at kwik fit are around the £130-140 mark so about the same as summer tyres.

#103915 Reply

martino

i asked before and was told you can fit them at your own expence. even though its safer there is no legal requirment by law so they want do it .yet in some other countrys it is law to have winter tyers in winter. its funny or typical they only do what they have too do

#103933 Reply

Mark

Hi

I have a full set of Michelin Crossclimate Plus tyres fitted.

Have found a noticeable reduction in cabin noise, a slight firming up of the ride.

They have far more grip on the road, than the previous tyres (continental summer tyres) in summer and winter.

It’s a shame when getting a new car on Motability that comes with summer tyres fitted as standard, the manufacture could offer an option for “All Weather” tyres, cost would depend on tyre size.

It’s an option I would take up, plus when time to fit new replacement tyres came along, Kwik Fit would by law have to fit the same tyres.

Once I had a car with 4 different tyre makes on it!!!

#103945 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Exactly my idea, if I have to pay for some then I will sell the brand new ones that come off it on ebay and make some cash back.

#103953 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Just curious but I wonder what would happen if/when you went back to Kwik Fit when the all-season tyres were in need of replacement if you didn’t have the original tyres on the car. I suppose it’d depend on if they even noticed but it’s something to think about. Going all-weather permanently could result in you having to pay for all tyres for the length of the lease as the “original” motability approved tyres would never get to the point of needing replacement because of lack of use.

One practical option (assuming you have the storage space and can physically manage or arrange it) would be to buy a spare set of wheels and go with the standard tyres during the “better” weather months, and only use the all-season tyres during the months they’ll really benefit you. Hopefully you’d only end up changing the wheels twice a year but it is one possible solution

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#103959 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

That’s just as bad as the policy now, you have to have the tyres changed by kwik fit for winter ones not all season and you have to pay them to swap them over twice a year as well as pay their stupid prices to get the tyres from them as well, the whole point of all season tyres is just that, you use them in all seasons.

#103963 Reply

Mark

Hi

The used to be summer tyres, traditional all season tyres and winter tyres. But over the last few years a new type which are summer-bias all season tyre have been coming to the market.

These summer-bias all season tyres if you believe the advertising hype offered all the advantages of summer and winter tyres in one tyre. Offering no need to buy two complete sets and no new wheels, saving money, storage and time.

Wonder how many of Motability cars driving around on OEM summer tyres crash or get stranded each winter due to sliding on ice and snow. With all the cost and stress involved.

Plus let’s face it most if not all motability customs are not going to be in a situation to be able to walk home or to a safe place.

Good video to bring up to speed on all season tyres. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-gkTCOs7E

#103969 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

The other option is to get one of the few vehicles on the scheme that come as standard with either ‘3 season’ or mud & snow (M&S) tyres as standard equipment.

An exmple being the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4wd auto (AP £881) which comes with mud & snow tyres fitted as standard.

https://fcabrochures.co.uk/jeep/renegade/brochure/#page=34

The Jeep Compass Trailhawk 4wd auto (AP £2631) has them fitted as well.

The trouble is you have to search through numerous vehicle brouchure specs to spot them.

#103979 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

If you specify a Vauxhall/Citroen/Peugeot with grip control (or whatever they are calling it) then its fitted with all season tyres as standard & Kwik Fit would have to match them on replacement. Ok, its an option so there is an up front cost, but you get not just the all season tyres, but a funky software driven anti-slip mechanism as well.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#103985 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I did look at this when ordering the car, it was a £500 option but the problem for me was it could only be fitted on the 16″ alloys which are hideous, I went for the 17″ alloys and will put all season tyres on myself.

I’m going to ask Motability but I doubt they will allow it, when it comes to the rule book they don’t invoke common sense or even factor in the cost savings, it’s just black and white to them with no room for reason.

#103991 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Just checked on kwik fit website and the difference in price between summer and all season tyres for the car I am getting is 50 pence.

#104112 Reply

Mark

Hi

Have been looking at tyres fitted to cars in disabled car bays for some months now and never seen another car fitted with all season tyres. Plus other than once never seen them in any car park.

#104115 Reply

Colin
    Participant

Don’t all-season tyres have a slightly softer compound and larger tread gaps to give the extra grip? If so that probably means less miles per tyre, so the 50p price difference isn’t the whole story if they have to change them more often as a result.

Just doing my “look at all sides” and “devil’s advocate” thing…

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104121 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Slightly softer rubber but just different tread pattern with sipes not bigger gaps and the summer tyres only lasted me 10k where as the all seasons have done 15k, I think that the little bit more compliance from the slightly softer rubber allows for more movement during set off, braking and cornering(it’s very slight) where as the summer tyres with the harder rubber tend to drag more and break traction more easily even if it is just fractionally it seems to eat through the tread faster.

I have about a dozen friends who have gone this route over the last 5-10 years and all get the same results and all said they will never go back.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Can we get All Season Tyres fitted?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: