Can I keep my doctor now moving 5 miles away ?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #147315 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Please can you help I’m moving to a retirement bungalow in 3 weeks times it is 5 miles away from the village and doctors surgery I’ve had all my life I’m now 55 years old ! I know the doctor very well and the supply of my tablets cathatars etc is great but is 5 miles away to far to keep this practise or do I have to have practise in my new village ? I’d like to keep practice I’ve had all my life but I’ve read 2 miles is the limit ? Any help be so welcome thankyou it’s worrying me

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #147323 Reply
    Karenj

We are onin  a village and use two surgeries as they are linked. The one is two minutes down the road the other is 5.4 miles (I just Google mapped it). We use both depending on availability of appointment. I stress they are a linked surgery so I’m not using two ‘different ‘ doctors but the distance off the second seems to give hope that you’d be ok ? Also im sure they can msje ecveptions for complex medical needs. Good luck.

#147324 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Thankyou Karen yes I’m registered disabled had spinal injury in 1980 the doctor has all this on his computer

#147326 Reply
    joss

@ Menorca Mike

Even if you did move to a different GP practice Mike, Your records would follow you there. But 5 miles is nothing to be honest. So you should be fine at your current GP’s Practice. If you are in any doubt, Ask you GP.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#147357 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

No, don’t ask your GP, he’ll have to apply the rules once he knows.

We moved away from here to another town for 5 years.  Never got round to registering with a new doctor’s practice and continued using the one here.  Our dentist still thinks we are living where we did 10 years ago!

In the scheme of things it didn’t seem to matter.  We just have to remember which address to confirm when picking up prescriptions.

#147359 Reply
    Karenj

Me too @menorcamike so I completely get why you want to stay where they understand it. A neck injury like mine affects all autonomous systems, heart, blood pressure everything and most GPs have no clue sadly. Like @wigwam says. Keep quiet and carry on !! You should be fine.

#147360 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I can’t keep quiet and carry on will have to discuss with my doctor because cathatar firm want my new address to send cathatars

#147361 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

When I pick up my prescription every 2 months if I tell them my old address they could phone and check ?

#147362 Reply
    ajn

I don’t think I would keep it quiet and hope, it just seems a load of hassle.

Maybe say to the Docs, if I were to move not a million miles away, what would be the process..

Sound them out if it’s suits, say right then get the forms out 😂🤣😂👍

#147363 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

They only ask for your address at the chemist, Mike, to confirm they are giving the right prescription to the right person, nothing more.

#147365 Reply
    ajn

I just think Dr’s are busy enough already, if for some reason Mike needs a home visit and can’t make it to the phoney address, time could be wasted and some other person could suffer as the Dr could be making total unnecessary false calls…

Just how annoying is it when some GOON false calls a fire engine, and it speeds the wrong way 10 mins down the road away from some who really needs it, 😔

Maybe it’s just the state of play we live amongst in this Country.

My advice remains ask first Mike, then make a decision, lies usually have a habit of growing into whoppers..🤥

#147370 Reply
    T.J
    Participant

Dare say the distance depends on the local catchment area, I grew up in a rural area where “local” was less than 15/20 mile away but where the Mrs comes from “local” is 2 miles at best.

Like the OP she had a long history with one GP but she moved 100’s of miles away, came back again and then moved around a bit – one address was way outside their catchment, another was just inside and current is just outside….

She contacted them from day one (upon moving back) and based on her past registration and medical history they were more than happy to have her back on their books.

Just talk to your doc, you may still be within the catchment area and even if not they may be able to keep you as patient -sometimes honesty is the best policy 🙂

#147387 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes I can’t lie because the man that has bought my bungalow would have same doctor and address

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Can I keep my doctor now moving 5 miles away ?
Your information: