Buying a private number plate for first time – Advice sought

• Creator
    Topic
  • #166898 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

Hello all. My mother is coming to the last 3 months of her lease, she herself does not drive, I am her driver and this will be the second vehicle we have had on the scheme. For the next vehicle I wanted to get her a private number plate as with her various issues she is also partially sighted and cannot tell the difference between vehicles but can read text if it is large, in this case a number plate at 1 meter distance. I have found a plate that would be easy for her to identify at close range as it contains most of the characters of her surname.

I am wondering, can I purchase the registration beforehand? Does the documentation need to be in her name? One of the number plate websites said the registration documents need to be in Motability’s name before it is even transferred to a Motability vehicle not sure if that is accurate.

Has anyone been through this, were the registration mark has been used for the first time with a Motability car?

Many thanks for any and all responses.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #166899 Reply
    Dougie B

There are rules regarding private plates and mobility vehicles so you would be advised to speak to them before purchase.

if they’re happy, it’s a very straightforward process.

#166900 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

There are rules regarding private plates and mobility vehicles so you would be advised to speak to them before purchase. if they’re happy, it’s a very straightforward process.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was aware of Motability’s view of private number plates from their website and that I have not yet spoken to them. Thought I could get some input from anyone who has used a private reg for the first time with a Motability vehicle.

#166903 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

Bought mine in advance of new car, it comes on an A4 certificate, just give that to the supplying dealer when you place the order, and they’ll use that to register the new car once built, and it will be collected with the new plate.

I bought the plate in my wifes name as it’s her lease to avoid any issues, the dealer will sort out the registration of the car, but you will still own the plate to transfer off in the future.

i should add all previous cars had year plates but this time we added a private plate as you are doing.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Noel.
    #166909 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

Bought mine in advance of new car, it comes on an A4 certificate, just give that to the supplying dealer when you place the order, and they’ll use that to register the new car once built, and it will be collected with the new plate. I bought the plate in my wifes name as it’s her lease to avoid any issues, the dealer will sort out the registration of the car, but you will still own the plate to transfer off in the future. i should add all previous cars had year plates but this time we added a private plate as you are doing.

Noel, thank you for that.

I assume that you notified Motability before proceeding? Did they query the reason as to why the private registration was to be used? I am tempted to proceed with the purchase before speaking to them.

#166931 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

You can buy the registration number in advance as it will be owned by you throughout, including whilst it’s on the Motability car. I can’t recall the exact terminology but you can also have an ‘assignee’ (from memory) which, in this case, will be Motability Operations as the registration number will be assigned to a car belonging to them. You can then put it on ‘retention’ towards the end of lease so that you retain the rights to the number.

Just a tip from experience, but I always allow a new car to be registered first with a ‘normal’ number. At a later date I then assign the personalised number. It’s quite cheap to have the plates made up and fitted at Halfords. I then keep the original plates so that when the car is due to go back it’s a 5 minute job to put the original plates back on (if a car has had a normal number from new it’s always allocated that same number back again when you remove a private plate).

#166935 Reply
    struth
    Participant

suppose you could just fit a sticker on front/back with her name and save bother of numberplates.. can get them made up easy enough at a sign makers.  it’ll just peel off the glass when your finished with car

#167171 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

Thank you all for your input.

I spoke to Motability today and told them that I had purchased a private registration for my mother and told them the reasons for doing so, they accepted and said I could add it to our current vehicle, but I told them we would add it to the next one instead which they said was fine and would make a note on the system. They did say just to make sure with the dealership when getting next vehicle that they can process the registration or I will need to contact Motability 7 days after taking delivery for them to do it.

#167175 Reply
    John

Hi

I have just changed my personal plate over to my new car from my old car it cost £60 fee to Swansea.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Buying a private number plate for first time – Advice sought
Your information: