Business insurance?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Olpk 6 days, 14 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #90622 Reply
    Renrahs

Has anyone been able to get business insurance as son/daughter of the disabled person? I know it’s given on an individual basis, but when speaking to motability they said they usually only give to the Spouse/Partner, parent of guardian.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90642 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Hi Renrahs

The mobility car is for the benefit of the claimant, not his/her off spring. So mobility are correct in saying spouse/Partner. Why would you, as Son or daughter, need business insurance for a motability car ?

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#90649 Reply
    Renrahs

Hi Joss,

I understand how it may seem. The individual that I am enquiring for is the main carer and is the only individual that lives with the disabled parent. I believe they only work 2/3 miles from home and would use the car to and from work. They would also be returning home at lunch times to provide care etc. I believe they only need business insurance for one off trips between council offices however the employer will not issue them with a permit unless they have Business included. They wouldn’t even be covering more than 5/10 miles a day. So I believe it may still be in the benefit of the claimant as the individual appears to be the only person in the household earning. They also wouldn’t be using the vehicle for excessive mileage. I may be wrong, hence why I enquired here.

#90668 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Hi Renrahs,

This is a very interesting question and I have wondered this many times.

It sounds like it may be a tricky one and I would advise talking to Motability insurance for clarity. The last thing you want is to get this wrong.

Standard Domestic & Pleasure insurance generally allows travel to place of work. As the person would be travelling to a place of work then it could be considered to fall under this section. The person would be driving TO work and not FOR work, for e.g. delivery/taxi driver. However, it’s a grey area and every insurance company will do their utmost to get out of a claim should the worst happen.

Has it been asked for the council to provide transport?

In any case, as already said, I would strongly advise talking to the Motability  insurance company.

Good luck.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it🏎

#90671 Reply
    joss
    Participant

My apologies Renrahs if my reply seemed terse. It was not meant to be.

Like Bionic says, Standard Domestic & Pleasure insurance generally allows travel to place of work. As the person would be travelling to a place of work then it could be considered to fall under this section. The person would be driving TO work and not FOR work, for e.g. delivery/taxi driver. However, it’s a grey area and every insurance company will do their utmost to get out of a claim should the worst happen.

It would be best to talk to Mobility and RSA the insurance company. Better to be clear than risk any problems.

Please do keep us informed because it is an important topic.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar joss. Reason: formating

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#90704 Reply
    Olpk

I remember not too long ago a lady on here who used the motability car to go to and from work and claiming to need the car to return if the disabled person needed.

She was worried as motability were saying they did not cover this use never mind business use.

Dont know how that one turned out.

#90939 Reply
    Oracle
    Participant

Hi Joss, I understand how it may seem. The individual that I am enquiring for is the main carer and is the only individual that lives with the disabled parent. I believe they only work 2/3 miles from home and would use the car to and from work. They would also be returning home at lunch times to provide care etc. I believe they only need business insurance for one off trips between council offices however the employer will not issue them with a permit unless they have Business included. They wouldn’t even be covering more than 5/10 miles a day. So I believe it may still be in the benefit of the claimant as the individual appears to be the only person in the household earning. They also wouldn’t be using the vehicle for excessive mileage. I may be wrong, hence why I enquired here.

In this exact example, if we take what is written to be 100% accurate and gospel, the following would generally apply:

• The car is always provided for the benefit of the disabled personal primarily.
    • However, it is feasible for the car to be used to support the household that the disabled person lives in. For example, if this driver financially supports the disabled person, work might be considered a benefit indirectly. This only applies if the driver actually lives with the disabled person and this can be evidenced.
    • But, any personal usage (incl. work journeys) by the driver need to be kept to a reasonable minimum and must always be proportionate to the amount of direct benefit the disabled person enjoys themselves.
    • Taking into account the above, commuting would be permitted, but business cover would not, unless the driver was a legal guardian, spouse, etc.
    • This condition is set by RSA Motability; you can speak with them, but on the basis of what you described, they would likely declined the business cover and that is at their discretion. You do not have route of appeal against this.

At the end of the day, we have to respect who the Scheme is setup to support. It doesn’t work for everybody and it isn’t the only way to get around or lease a vehicle. The last thing anybody needs is being caught driving uninsured and/or have an accident, whereby the insurance claim is repudiated/rejected (especially when a repudiated claim will get you kicked off of the Scheme).

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Avatar Oracle.
    #92064 Reply
    Olpk

The other thing to consider is motability cars make use of disability vehicle excise duty exemption.

The car can only be used for the disabled persons benefit. While a spouse earning the households only income may qualify a child running a business may take that too far.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Business insurance?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: