Build to order or Stock vehicles

• Creator
    Topic
  • #55952 Reply
    Moody
    Participant

I’ve noticed several posts where people have gone into dealerships with a particular vehicle in mind – spec, colour etc with the intention of placing an order for the vehicle to be made.  My expereience has been very much “sorry mate we haven’t got that in any of our dealerships – how about this ?”   Are dealerships obliged to place built to order or not ?

Grand C-Max 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 1.5 eco 176ps awd auto titanium x - Autochair 80Kg Hoist- lease extended by 2 years due to horrendous AP to replace.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #55959 Reply
    JS

They will try and pass old stock off first for various reasons, if your willing to wait then place a factory order, it’s a good time to haggle the price of the AP down at present.

#55966 Reply
    Glos Guy

Dealers will always order a new (factory order) if that’s what you want. They tend to offer up stock cars partly to help customers who are deterred by long lead times and partly to clear stock, especially if they have sat on a car for a while or spec changes have happened since the car was brought into stock. The problem tends to be that the vast majority of cars in dealerships, if showroom models, have a number of (often expensive) options on them and you are often expected to pay for them if you want the car (especially if the car is at a different dealership to the one you are buying from).  I did that once with a VW Tiguan R Line. I had to pay for 19” Alloys and a panoramic sunroof that I didn’t want. That said, the wife absolutely loved the sunroof and the people I sold it to drove 100 miles to buy it because of the sunroof and paid £4K more than the dealer had offered me. I had also secured 22% discount on the overall purchase price, so it turned out to be a win win!

#55981 Reply
    Moody
    Participant

cheers

Grand C-Max 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 1.5 eco 176ps awd auto titanium x - Autochair 80Kg Hoist- lease extended by 2 years due to horrendous AP to replace.

#55985 Reply
    Rico

Mercedes are quickest at this with diesels, both Mercedes I have had were at dealers within two weeks of ordering… Also you can be a bit smart here go in with a selection of four colours your happy with and then tell them that if they have not got stock at port your willing to go with one of the other colours as long as there is some extra thrown in

#55997 Reply
    Grant

On a similar subject….Why is it that Motability don’t allow us to choose pre-registered vehicles? This would give us more choice. The warranty should be pretty much the same as long as the car is not that old, and Motability should also pay less.

#56006 Reply
    ldc7080

im on my third car, joined 2009 and have always had new builds.  maybe because ive always added extras i dont know, but nobody has every tried to get me a car from stock before.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #56006 in Build to order or Stock vehicles
Your information: