Bristol wants to ban diesel cars

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #95410 Reply

Andy
    Participant

I do find this worrying, not because I go to Bristol much, but it could be the thin edge of the wedge and another nail in the coffin for diesel engines.I have no doubt if Bristol does this then other places will follow suit. We have had diesels for several years on the scheme, and are seriously considering the diesel Tiguan Allspace as our next car, but this has put me off a bit.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #95412 Reply

Craig

I wouldn’t worry too much just now, as it won’t pass till 2021. It’s not a complete ban.

The irony is that they are happy for petrol to get through, but not diesel. Petrol is far worse for co2 then diesel.

#95414 Reply

Charles G

Diesel does produce less CO2 than petrol, the problem is that it produces a lot of other waste that is more harmful making them worse overall. The focus on CO2 only was a result of lobbying from (mainly German) car manufacturers as it was easier to produce diesel cars than to bother to do any real research to tackle the unsolvable problem of pollution caused by combustion engines.

I think diesel will still be around for a while yet but it’s days are numbered in the types of vehicle that don’t really benefit from a diesel engine.  Not sure how a ban makes sense though, might as well just let the market dictate it and car sales already show it is happening.

#95419 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I live in Bristol and love the fact that the Labour council and mayor are now going to punish their voters who under the last Labour government were told to get diesels to help cut CO2 and global warming.

It’s only fair that Labour voters pay for there mistakes but for myself I stopped going into town 5 or 6 years ago because using Amazon and E-Bay for everything is just so much more easier and I don’t even have to pay for parking with my Blue Badge so can’t think what those that do think about it.

Anyway lots of new charity shops opening in the down town shanty town shopping centres now where all the big names used to be but it’s unfortunate for those who have to work in town but who knows we might see a government one day making it worthwhile to go to work.

#95425 Reply

Olpk

The whole thing about diesels being worse is rubbish.

When the government started their anti diesel campaign many many scientists and experts spouted up and totally dispelled the data they where basing it on.

Even in the US they have large diesel pickup trucks with dual cats producing little more than water vapour.

The figures go awry when they base pollution levels on quantities produced per litre of fuel burned.

This process is biased towards petrol as diesels tend to to travel a lot further on that litre of fuel thus use less. It should be pollution per mile travelled for an accurate result.

#95429 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The new Euro6.2 spec diesel engines give out way less co2 and particulates than petrol cars, their argument is based on out of date information but they never admit this and think we’re all stupid and unable to read.

#95430 Reply

Craig

A better compromise would be to ban older non Euro 6 diesels, but allow newer diesels into town.

#95432 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

It’s a purely political decision in Bristol, to satisfy the beads and sandels brigade.  I strongly suspect it won’t happen.

#95433 Reply

Imran

I also heard they are going to do the same thing in most cities across the UK. Birmingham Manchester Leeds etc

#95435 Reply

Andy
    Participant

If one does it, they all will.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Bristol wants to ban diesel cars

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: