Brexit "could" impact cars on scheme overnight! Lets play the what if game!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #80865 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

I am seeing news articles saying we may have to stick it to the Germans and French car makers (because they don’t like it up em) in order to threaten trade deals out of them after Halloween. 20% tariffs and so on.

So if you are going to need a car in the very near future should you be looking to buy from the likes of Nissan,Hyundai,Kia,MG,and other non European sources?

Just a thought! must have occurred to others.

Yes I am feeling particularly rambunctious today!?

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Shawn.

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #80869 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Cars are priced on the basis of what the market can stand.  A 20% tariff does not mean a 20% price increase.

I would not buy a new car but I guess an increase in new car prices would impact used car prices, all other things being equal, which they are not, given the hight volume of cars on lease schemes which will be maturing and pushing prices down.

#80870 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

Motability will have priced everything exactly and if a car went up 20% overnight they would surely just pull it from the scheme. Or they would be taking on that cost. May not be Motability pulling it but the car dealer who can no longer supply at the agreed price. Cars come and go from the scheme all the time.

Just occurred to me that if as someone has recently done,ordered a car in February and only just got it now. Then you could be ordering a car that will never arrive from Europe.?

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#80875 Reply

jamesg

What if they took VAT  off cars ?

#80878 Reply

vinnym70

I would assume Motability have an agreement with the manufacturers to keep the prices flat for the quarter at least? I’m assuming they have the purchasing power to dictate terms to some extent? Especially as a lot of the better deals on Motability seem to be cars that aren’t selling as well as the manufacturers hoped. Little bit of symbiosis here?

#80890 Reply

greycar

Think availability of medication is more of concern for some than the affordability of a car, but that is not in the title so:

One of the UK ministers in charge after all admitted to not realising how important Dover is. And in that list of car manufacturers there is only the Chinese MG which are not sourced from the European mainland. Everything that is manufactured in the UK partly relies on parts coming from the EU.

Maybe Tata could start manufacturing Tata Nanos https://nano.tatamotors.com/variants in the UK for the UK market, if they moved production of JLR to their EU manufacturing plant in Slovakia 😉

#80892 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I agree medication is more important than cars, greycar. Agreement has already been reached on the movement of medication.  Import/export of vehicles obviously impacts the motor industry but not the public directly.  So any delay in teaching agreement wouldn’t affect most people.

#80918 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

Pressure could be exerted by the government to “force” Motability to exclude certain manufacturers from the scheme or cars manufactured from certain country’s. Much would depend on how “dirty” each side would fight. A WTO Brexit could see major tax changes and big policy changes and could unlock massive investment into the UK.

#80935 Reply

WreckitAnth
    Participant

Can anyone actually prove that medication and cars would suffer under a WTO deal because so far all i have found is total rubbish from the biased media and project fear which are basically trying to scare people?. I think the British government and establishment should be ashamed because we need strength and confidence, not scare tactics and told a no deal would be the worst possible outcome. We know the European union is very much like the soviet union because instead of helping the UK to leave and making sure a deal is in place they are fighting the UK just as the soviet union did to Estonia and Ukraine etc. I am not just saying this you can look up this up and see the two are very much similar in how they deal with member states that want independence. I am absolutely sure motability will secure itself in any event that the UK actually finds confidence and leaves the EU so all should be good anyhow.

#80938 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Johnson is hoping the EU will agree a GATT article 24 arrangement in which case nothing will change for now regarding movement of goods to and from the EU.  If they don’t agree it, then he says we will leave and trade on WTO terms, which will mean import tariffs imposed on our goods by the EU. The UK has already published its tariff schedule in these circumstances, but it could choose not to impose any tariffs.

Also the UK and EU countries have already made provision to keep keep goods flowing through the ports.

Whatever the outcome, business will always make goods available to the market subject to legislation.  Is any government going to restrict the supply of drugs and medicines?  How long will car manufacturers permit governments to frustrate the movement of new cars across borders?

I can imagine there may be short-term delays in new car imports, while industry and governments get their act together, but there is already considerable stockpiling going on.

#80945 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

I just wondered if anyone besides me had thought about ordering a non EU car so they can be sure they will get it. I really think we will be out in October all this talk of HOW I just don’t get???? They are talking about closing parliament and having another vote and all-sorts BUT all he has to do is NOTHING not go back for an extension and we are out on WTO.

I am thinking in terms of January now for me just to let it all happen. I think I want that MG EZS. I have waited 20 years after all!?

East Yorkshire.

#80948 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Then we get a vote of no confidence a general election and a corbyn government and few want that. No we will get a deal or another vote.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#80949 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Not going to happen, Brydo.  Please don’t lose sleep over it. ?

#80953 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

I feel Corbyn lose general election. In no Brexit then win for Brexit party. If Brexit a Tory win.

#80957 Reply

SaintsMan

Brydo, once indyref2 takes place Scotland will be back in the EU and have it’s own Motability scheme, full of EV’s with low AP’s and no upper limit on prices or HP so you’ll be able to get your hands on the super fast charging Porsche Cayenne.

#80959 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Oh My, Saintsman

I believe you could be right.

I think I’ll move Mrs Wigwam to Scottish land right away.

#80961 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Wigwam you and your wife would be more than welcome.

#80966 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Just her, Brydo, just her.

Too many midges…

#81021 Reply

WreckitAnth
    Participant

Then we get a vote of no confidence a general election and a corbyn government and few want that. No we will get a deal or another vote.

Labour government will be the end days of the united kingdom for sure what a scary thought. Although saying that, maybe labour would raise the cap for motability so theirs always that :P.

#81024 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

It is a scary thought that we go back to nationalising everything and the unions are all powerful ☹️

#81027 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Yeah but look on the bright side –  free squirrels…

#81030 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I meant free owls.  Too hot to concentrate!

#81035 Reply

SaintsMan

Brydo

Anyone getting their electricity from EDF are already getting there power from a nationalised company. It’s owned by the French government. How is that one going to work post Brexit?

#81041 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New Vauxhall Astra will not be built at Ellesmere Port if UK leaves EU without a deal

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/astra/105320/new-vauxhall-astra-will-not-be-built-at-ellesmere-port-if-uk-leaves-eu-without

#81042 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

EDF

Electricity generation
    Fossil fuel

Cottam Power Station
    EDF owns two 2,000 MW coal fired power stations, Cottam and West Burton, both located near Retford in Nottinghamshire,[13] giving EDF the highest coal fired generational capacity of any energy company in the United Kingdom.[14] It also owns the 790 MW Sutton Bridge CCGT power station,[15] and constructed a new 1,311 MW CCGT station at West Burton, which opened in 2011.[16]

Wind
    EDF also owns and operates three wind farms, at Kirkheaton in Northumberland and the High Hedley Hope wind farm near Tow Law in County Durham, and the Teesside Offshore Wind near Redcar, Teesside.[17]

Nuclear
    Following the acquisition of British Energy in 2009, the EDF Energy portfolio includes eight nuclear power stations. They are seven AGR power stations (Dungeness B; Hinkley Point B; Hunterston B; Hartlepool; Heysham 1; Heysham 2 & Torness) and one PWR power station (Sizewell B) and total nearly 9,000 MW of installed capacity.

In 2007, EDF announced its intention to construct up to four new EPR reactors;[18] two at Hinkley Point C (currently scheduled to start operation in 2025 [19]) and two at Sizewell C. EDF plans to build and operate the new plants through its subsidiary NNB Generation Company (NNB GenCo).

In August 2014, the company announced it had shut down four of its 15 reactors for a period of eight weeks to investigate potential cracking in the boiler spine.[20] In February 2016, EDF announced that it would keep four of its nuclear plants open in the United Kingdom. Heysham 1 and Hartlepool will have their life extended by five years until 2024, while Heysham 2 and Torness will see their closure dates pushed back by seven years to 2030.[21]

Renewable energy
    The Ecologist magazine[22] reported that in 2004, EDF Energy spent virtually nothing on the construction of new renewable energy generation. On their website EDF reports that it is currently investing GBP 2 million in Marine Current Turbines,[23] which use tidal power to generate electricity; however, these turbines are still at the research and prototype phase and EDF expect them to be operational “within the next five years” dependent upon “a successful pilot.”[23] EDF also has several ongoing renewable developments in windfarms.[24]

In 2007, EDF had an installed renewable energy generating capacity of 1.8MW, representing 0.08% of their total capacity of approximately 4,865MW.[25] In June 2008, EDF announced the formation of EDF Energy Renewables, a 50:50 joint venture with EDF Energies Nouvelles, with the stated intention of becoming a ‘major force in the United Kingdom renewable energies market’.[26]

In July 2009, Ecotricity started legal proceedings[27] against EDF Energy for the alleged misuse of the Green Union Flag logo, used to promote the Team Green Britain campaign. In April 2013, the 62 MW offshore Teesside Wind Farm started operation.[28]

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Brexit "could" impact cars on scheme overnight! Lets play the what if game!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: