BP Pulse – Isolator Delays Installing

• Creator
    Topic
  • #157721 Reply
    PeterT

After originally being told and emailed mine was being installed on 24 June which never happened, I was told to wait a further ten working days for the installer to contact me. They never did so called BP Pulse today to be told the company they use has a Covid outbreak which was notified to them on 1 July and no installations would be taking place this month. I was told to ring after 28 July for an update if I did not hear from them before.

Appalling service, and don’t believe that whoever there supplier is has every electrician of the road for a month…

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #157730 Reply
    Mike

Hearing so many bad stories regarding BP Pulse on here and they contractors they use. They should have let you know about the delay. A lot of companies are using Covid as an excuse for bad service.

#157732 Reply
    ajn

Hhmmm that’s the problem great ideas & inventions then the phone starts ringing, keypads start tapping, clipboards and pens = total mess, bad management, humans fussing, waiting list spiral then all hell breaks loose…

#157799 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

They are totally inept, took me almost 2 months of endless phone calls and threats to get mine installed then after a month or so it went faulty and that has taken me over 2 weeks to sort out with someone finally coming out to it on the 15th of this month. Problem is they insist on blaming anyone and everyone for the failures instead of just admitting they have problems and dealing with them.

They never ring you back or reply to emails, even Motability have admitted difficulties in contacting them. If i have any more issues its getting taken off the house and i will install one myself and pay for it from my own pocket. Forking out £600 has got to be worth more than the hassle and stress you get dealing with them, sad but unfortunately true.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#157821 Reply
    sif

Mine took 2 weeks start to finish and one phone call, from them to inform me they would be 45 mins late. No hassle no fuss and no problem. Taking the pics was a pain but that was it.

#157825 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

We took pics and uploaded everything to BP Pulse on the 11 June, we got an email asking for more pics on the 13th, sent them in same day, got another generic email on the 14th advising we may get more funding as we live in Scotland, that’s it…nothing else, 4 weeks so far…

Car arrives in 3 weeks….

We will not chase them, I’ll leave it for so long, then pay someone else to fit a charger. BP Pulse do not deserve any business if they can’t treat their customers right (free to me or not). Voting with your wallet/Motability’s wallet is the only way a company will learn, I do the same with car dealers or anyone else who gives poor service, it’s their loss not mine.

Besides as Stuart has experienced, not only did he have to fight tooth and nail to get the charger, he then has to fight tooth and nail when it fails…unacceptable.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#158039 Reply
    bfoandc

Thanks for all the info above. We are due to pick up our EV on Monday and I’ve emailed three times to get some info I need and no reply yet. What makes it worse is that every few days they email me to ‘remind’ me to complete an on-line form. Each time the email says if you ‘are having any issues, please get in touch with our team’! Not a good start.

I’m far from convinced that they will be doing the installation themselves anyway – we live on a Scottish island! There is a firm that operate locally and make regular visits to the island. I’ll be in touch with Motability and see whether they can get anywhere. As others have said if they can’t be bothered to get in touch when we are wanting to give them business, how will they be if there are problems?

#158054 Reply
    Marcus

I’m going to contact Bp Pulse next week to start the process, I’m hoping it will run smoothly! Tbh if they perform to the standards that have been reviewed here, I will pay for a charger out of my own pocket. Let’s hope they have sorted their customer service out…..

#158097 Reply
    Caroline Holland

Marcus there is an alternative with Motability and that is Podpoint really great customer service so far

#158102 Reply
    Marcus

Caroline thank you so much, I will head that way and keep away from BP.

#159350 Reply
    PeterT

Further update

We are sorry to inform you that there will be a delay to your Homecharge installation, due to the impact of new regulatory guidance related to the installation of isolation switches, which is something that your Homecharge unit would require.

We had been working with two suppliers for the installation of isolation switches for Homecharge customers who require them, but both suppliers have advised us that they have ceased the installation of these devices with immediate effect.

The guidance suggests that all installers of isolation switches must seek pre-installation permission from the relevant electricity supplier, for every individual device, rather than rely on a blanket authority to fit them with retrospective reporting. As we understand it, all Homecharge providers will need to work to this guidance and any providers who are installing isolation switches without individual pre-installation consent will be acting in a non-compliant manner.

We believe that the effect of the new guidance will be to significantly increase the time it takes to get new Homecharge units installed, ultimately hampering the pace of EV adoption in the UK. We are incredibly disappointed and will be making vocal representations on behalf of our customers and partners to request that the guidance be amended or withdrawn, but we do not expect any change for at least several weeks.

As a result, customers requiring an isolation switch will need to arrange the installation of the switch themselves, before a Homecharge installation can take place. You can arrange this through your Meter Operator or Distribution Network Operator (DNO). You can find details of your DNO, including their contact information, by entering your postcode on the Energy Networks Association website: https://www.energynetworks.org/operating-the-networks/whos-my-network-operator

We will be refunding the £150 if you have already paid for the isolation switch installation and sincerely apologise for this unexpected inconvenience. We will work hard to advocate on behalf of our customers and hope to be able to offer this service again as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions, please email us at homecharge.enquiries@bp.com.

Sincerely,
    the bp pulse home charger support team

#159357 Reply
    Mark Holland

I am so sorry this is your experience we were lucky they did not answer the phone so we called next on list Podpoint and fitting has been fast efficient and we have a complex fit once again I hope it works out. Worth noting for others that since ordering our ev BP prices for their subscription have gone up they were 15p kw for subscribers now 25p making it cheaper at Lidl and not much point for the subscription but I believe Motability are still offering it for free without a hone charger.

I don’t know if it’s too late but maybe worth calling Podpoint to see if they can still help at this late stage

#159376 Reply
    struth
    Participant

looks like ev’s aint the future.. or at best a very pointless one if you cant get a charging unit at home for months/years? who knows.

Sure Boris has the answer tho

#159402 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

The problem is compounded by the arcane supply regs  – to fit the switch you need to pull the incoming fuse to isolate the supply before fitting the isolator switch, but….only the DNO can legally pull the incoming fuse & replace it, although many DNO’s turn a bit of a blind eye to this, given the hassle of trying to get all the trades & DNO lined up.

If they do want an isolation switch for every install, then that’s me out, in my old house (grade 2 listed – so no tearing up walls/floors thanks) I have to use a convoluted cable routing that cannot be a spur from the incoming supply before the main CU (the isolation switch is to kill the power to allow the second, dedicated mini-CU to be fitted just for the EV chargepoint).

Mind you, still heard nothing back from BP, 1 week to hand-over, new car at dealers, appointment for hand-over made for next Friday.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#159403 Reply
    Marcus

Still waiting on BP Pulse to contact me, asked Motorbility if I could use pod point. Told no as I am getting a VW and BP deal with that contract!

Any thoughts on what I can do or say to Motorbility? TIA

Marcus

#159409 Reply
    Richard

Make a complaint to motability they’ll pay for your own choice of charge point.

I’ve had so many issues with BP they lied to motability saying they were installing in July when they hadn’t booked a date with me then gave me a date 2 weeks later.

I’ve been told yes, then no, then yes, then there’s a problem, then it’s all OK here’s a date, then no there’s a DNO issue (there wasn’t).

Look at it this way if they’re this bad now what happens if you need warranty support?

I’m booking a Hypervolt charger soon.

#159410 Reply
    Richard

Best thing you can do is as soon as the paper works in contact the DNO yourself & get appts booked to upgrade the fuse to 100A & fit an isolator this doesn’t cost anything. Otherwise BP will send their contractor out & they’ll call it off or mess you about.

As soon as the paperwork has been sent to the DNO you can call them & get stuff booked in. Mind had to do fuse, holder, isolator & new main incomer as all old stuff was only rated to 83A if I’d waited on BP organising that I’d still be waiting I suspect. Just call up the DNO & explain you’re having a charge point installed & they’ll sort it free of charge (most do)

#159419 Reply
    Mark Holland

Marcus just a thought to contact Pod Point yourself just to be sure as we were initially told by Motability we could not have a charger so might be worth the conversation

#159441 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

After waiting weeks to get my BP unit replaced the contractor finally turned up and replaced the faulty unit, he also replaced the indoor fuse box with the latest one which has a digital regulator whatever that is. Anyway i`m all back up and running but in the future they have been authorised by BP so i can contact them direct and they will attend within 48hrs and carry out any work needed and bill BP direct themselves, when i asked him why this had changed he said it was down to all the complaints regarding the service.

Luckily for me they are a local business as well so thats finally put my mind at ease but i feel for everyone else.

KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#159481 Reply
    Marcus

Mark thank you, I have feeling it will be pretty tough to get Motorbility, to allow me to go with Pod Point, hopefully in a good way BP don’t contact me. Then they have no choice to allow me!

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: BP Pulse – Isolator Delays Installing
Your information: